Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

NEW KENWOOD DNX8120 EXCELON DOUBLE DIN 5.1 RCA 5V PREOUTS (Wicked CAS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Sill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regard to the harness...it shouldnt factor into me picking up all my stations...as the antenna is not apart of the harness... Anyway I'm sure it's has somthing to do with me scanning through the stations too quickly, havent messed with it since I initally tried to set my presets (80 gig iPod on random 24/7). I havent had issues with any of the other features that other people are complaining about.

1) I dont use the nav too much but it works flawlessly when I do. Well I had one problem. I was showing my girlfriend the features and it showed my max speed reached..got chewed out pretty good about being safe.

2) No one complains about my bluetooth in the car, I'm always the first person to go 'Does this sound horrible my AC is blasting...' or 'Can you hear me ok? my windows are down.' Everyone says it sounds good (mounted on the inside of left pillar facing out toward me).

3) The boot-up isnt bad to me, the unit starts playing my iPod before it's fully loaded and it's generally fully loaded right as I start to drive off.

4) Havent used the USB cable yet..keep wanting to add wallpapers but I havent even taken the cap off the USB cable.

My biggest thing that would be on a wish list is alot of custom eq presets because mine is hooked up to the stock system....does not sound the greatest... I'm now buying a sub and new speakers I guess... Ah lastly even thou I dont know how to optimize all the settings...all that you can screw with is crazy; my only suggestion is once you set everything...save your settings (it's a memory save thing that does this I think.) My battery died and I had to go through and reset all of my audio and ipod settings.

Does anyone know of any advance equilizer tutorials?
Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Sill]In regard to the harness...it shouldnt factor into me picking up all my stations...as the antenna is not apart of the harness... Anyway I'm sure it's has somthing to do with me scanning through the stations too quickly, havent messed with it since I initally tried to set my presets (80 gig iPod on random 24/7). I havent had issues with any of the other features that other people are complaining about.

The antenna turn on wire is on the harness. If this wire is not hooked up you will get bad radio reception. I would make sure the correct wire is connected to the antenna turn on wire on the harness.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sill
1) I dont use the nav too much but it works flawlessly when I do. Well I had one problem. I was showing my girlfriend the features and it showed my max speed reached..got chewed out pretty good about being safe.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Sexy350zStud03

anybody tried this with the iphone yet?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 AM
ryanmp31

yep, the iphone works slick with this unit. The only thing I cant do is use the SMS feature....not sure why, but it doesn't come up as an option on the DNX8120. Other than that, the unit syncs with my phone and connects every time I get into my vehicle. I haven't noticed any problems.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 AM
beau87

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the following wires on the DNX-8120 and what functions they control: mute wire, power antenna wire and the ground to headunit wire. Those are the only wires I have left to connect up the headunt. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM
ryanmp31

The power antenna wire is just that...if you have an antenna that automatically goes up and down on your vehicle, this wire sends signal to the antenna motor to make the motor go up and down. If you dont have a power antenna (I dont) just tape it off and dont use it.

Not sure what "ground to headunit" wire you are talking about, what color is it?

As far as the mute wire goes, I'm not 100% sure, but I think that has to do with muting the stereo functions when a call comes in, or when using on-star if you have a GM vehicle. Other people may be able to elaborate more on this.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Sexy350zStud03

Does it play music as well? Like can you have it hooked up for music and have it bluetooth for the phone?

Originally Posted by ryanmp31
yep, the iphone works slick with this unit. The only thing I cant do is use the SMS feature....not sure why, but it doesn't come up as an option on the DNX8120. Other than that, the unit syncs with my phone and connects every time I get into my vehicle. I haven't noticed any problems.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
beau87

thanks for input, this is what I found out. Mute wire is for external bluetooth receiver. Power antenna wire is to supply antenna amplifier power. Amplifier shield ground is for external amplifier. Only need to hookup the antenna amplifier. If anyone has different information let me know.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
ryanmp31

I haven't even tried using it with the ipod adapter as of yet, but form what I've read/heard, it will play music the same as an ipod, just not the video.

As far as the music and calling goes, I dont think you could do both at the same time. THe music automatically mutes when the phone rings or you make a call. Then, after the call is done, the music resumes.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
ryanmp31

Originally Posted by beau87
thanks for input, this is what I found out. Mute wire is for external bluetooth receiver. Power antenna wire is to supply antenna amplifier power. Amplifier shield ground is for external amplifier. Only need to hookup the antenna amplifier. If anyone has different information let me know.
Where are you going to connect this wire to? Do you have a wire on your vehicles harness for it?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
beau87

Now that I'm home I checked the manual and the Z does have an amplifier for the antenna and the data sheet I indicates that the blue lead is the the connection.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just got mine installed and it's a very nice unit.. very complicated, but it's got buttload of functions. bluetooth is hooked and works pretty good (still haven't figured it out completely)
Old 05-14-2008, 02:36 PM
cannibal869

Quick question - I couldn't really find this in the manual (or at least not the one online)

Regarding daytime/evening color schemes - First off, does the unit have the ability to do this (I am assuming yes)... if so, how does the unit switch between the two? Is it just a user decision through the interface? Or does it happen automatically based on the time of day?

Thanks,
-Chris
Old 05-14-2008, 06:01 PM
jmarascojr

All these people with the HU and STILL no pics?!??!?!
Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of pictures. I've gonna over the manual a zillion times. Went to Kenwood's site and I can't figure it out. How do you load images into this unit. I put jpegs onto a CD. That didn't work. I put them onto a thumb drive and that didn't work. Is there a specific folder structure that you have to follow to get the unit to recognize the images? When I put in the USB thumb drive, it immediately started playing the mp3s that I had on the card (which I had forgotten). HAAAAAAAALLPP!!!

edit: Never mind. Found out what I was doing wrong.

Last edited by TreeFiddyZee; 05-14-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
Speaking of pictures. I've gonna over the manual a zillion times. Went to Kenwood's site and I can't figure it out. How do you load images into this unit. I put jpegs onto a CD. That didn't work. I put them onto a thumb drive and that didn't work. Is there a specific folder structure that you have to follow to get the unit to recognize the images? When I put in the USB thumb drive, it immediately started playing the mp3s that I had on the card (which I had forgotten). HAAAAAAAALLPP!!!

edit: Never mind. Found out what I was doing wrong.
So how do you do it?

Post some pics people!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
vhx1

Originally Posted by cannibal869
Quick question - I couldn't really find this in the manual (or at least not the one online)

Regarding daytime/evening color schemes - First off, does the unit have the ability to do this (I am assuming yes)... if so, how does the unit switch between the two? Is it just a user decision through the interface? Or does it happen automatically based on the time of day?

Thanks,
-Chris
The nav can auto dim based on Time from GPS satellites. The nav will switch color schemes based on sunrise/sunset.

You can also choose to have it dim when you turn on your lights. For AV UI, you can have the unit sync with the nav or simply dim when you turn on your headlights. This of course is assuming that you have connected the orange dim wire to the wire harness properly.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Sill

I havent added wallpapers yet, but I found the option in the user interface settings...what size wall paper is ideal btw? I want to photoshop some.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Sill

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
The antenna turn on wire is on the harness. If this wire is not hooked up you will get bad radio reception. I would make sure the correct wire is connected to the antenna turn on wire on the harness.
Well...you learn somthing everyday..I think I'll just leave the wire taped up for the sake of my lazyness. The stations I get are clear..but..I dont always get all of them.

Originally Posted by TREEFIDDYZEE

Amazing how accurate that wordless description is.....

Quick Reply: NEW KENWOOD DNX8120 EXCELON DOUBLE DIN 5.1 RCA 5V PREOUTS (Wicked CAS)