Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Amp rack in Bose Sub. location

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 PM
12AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a bracket that extends down vertically inside the cubbies on both sides. It makes a good attachment point. There is a nice bit of sheet metal in the front where the plastic that surrounds the speaker grill is attached, and there is sheet metal on the driver's side in the cubby area where you can attach brackets. The gas tank is beneath this area, so you have to be careful and use short screws to attach anything there. I just used some plumber's strapping and bar stock for mounting, and some MDF board painted black to mount the amps. While you're in there, the wheel well area can use some Dynomat. It helps to remove the driver's seat- Its worth the hassle.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM
cbeneke

I put my amps in that spot as well. I'd take pictures of the rack that I built, but it's embarrassingly ghetto. Anyone with some self respect would at least make it a little bit nicer than mine. I didn't bother to go to the hardware store and just used pieces of wood and screws that I had lying around my house. It works, but it's not pretty.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing......My dad was helping me and he asked me if this was going to be a show item. Once I told him no he started cutting away with the spare wood he had. I was taking the metal bracket that holds the bose woofer in place, and when I was done this is what he came up with.

Last edited by Chi-TownWarrior; 09-05-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Jes-Z

This is my custom creation. I cut two holes and put 2 high rpm Computer Fans. They are connected to the remote wire so when the amp turns on so do they. Never had a heating problem, and I live in Miami.

Here's the link to my install for detailed pics.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...ate-setup.html

Last edited by Jes-Z; 09-05-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
This is my custom creation. I cut two holes and put 2 high rpm Computer Fans. They are connected to the remote wire so when the amp turns on so do they. Never had a heating problem, and I live in Miami.

Here's the link to my install for detailed pics.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...ate-setup.html
So you got a hold of an extra glove box and just installed in there? Thats pretty quick and painless. Does it just bolt in?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by KManZ
So you got a hold of an extra glove box and just installed in there? Thats pretty quick and painless. Does it just bolt in?
Pretty much. The only thing is the glove box is 65 bucks and I don't recall that the sub location has a rear screw engagement. I had to secure the glove box by bolting the edges and epoxy it so it would stay together. Otherwise, over time The glove box starts to separate. You won't notice but it begins to sag until the bottom of the box finally rests. But after that it still looks the same.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
KManZ
Banned

Default Completed Amp Rack

I did it! Took me a while, but I wanted to get everything perfect. I have a glovebox again!

I used Paul350Z's style of rack, which was sufficient to get the job done. It isn't pretty, but I am going for convenience and stealth. Thanks for the pics and guidance everyone! I would give you rep if there was such a system here.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Jes-Z

Sweet man! Looks good and the sound must be awesome!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM
ColoradoClark

Nice job, KManZ -- looks tight!

Do you have any measurements for the shelf and bolt attachment points that you used?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:28 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
Sweet man! Looks good and the sound must be awesome!
Thanks dude So far I have been blown away by how great the Polk SR's sound. The Infinity Kappa's were nice, a vast improvement over stock, but take that margin and double it, and you have the Polks haha

Originally Posted by ColoradoClark

Do you have any measurements for the shelf and bolt attachment points that you used?
I could get you some measurements tonight after work, if it isn't raining. But honestly, it was a fairly easy to measure the MDF to fit in the area; the only real variable was the mounting straps, as they were sort of flexable.

I started by hanging the straps from the back mounts. Then I used a straight edge (tape measure in this case) to mark the level on the strap that was even with the edge of the compartment, so that when I bent the straps, the MDF board would be level. After that, bend the straps, then place the MDF in position and mark where the edges of the straps hit the edge of the board. Remove, bend, and screw straps to board, remount, and then do the same for the front two. I just two holes that had all the screws in them from the stock subwoofer mounting plate, measured, measured again, and cut go slow, measure a lot, and just know you will be pulling the board out of that compartment A LOT!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love those PDX amps, installing one myself soon. Is that a PDX 150.2?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:25 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Love those PDX amps, installing one myself soon. Is that a PDX 150.2?
PDX 4.150, 4 channel amp rated at 150w RMS. I wish we didn't live in a world of thieves so that I could mount it somewhere where I could enjoy it's looks
Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM
quakerroatmeal

You should carpet/paint your amp rack, not sure why a lot of people like to leave it bare, even though it's covered.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 PM
KManZ
Banned

You should carpet/paint your amp rack, not sure why a lot of people like to leave it bare, even though it's covered.
I may someday, but the amount of install/uninstall/re-wire/fix-this/fix-that that I have done in the past month, I just wanted to get it in and not worry about it anymore. Besides, no one will ever see it, and my system sounds just as good as it would if it were carpeted. Who knows what the future holds though
Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
vnarang

Paul and KManZ: Do you think you could post pictures of your subs please?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by ColoradoClark

Here ya go. No measurements for the bolt points, but those are easy to measure out. I crudely drew them on to the pic for you though. You'll figure it out

Originally Posted by vnarang
Paul and KManZ: Do you think you could post pictures of your subs please?
And here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails Amp rack in Bose Sub. location-amprack.jpg   Amp rack in Bose Sub. location-sub-001.jpg   Amp rack in Bose Sub. location-sub-002.jpg  

Last edited by KManZ; 09-11-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 PM
vnarang

Originally Posted by KManZ
Here ya go. No measurements for the bolt points, but those are easy to measure out. I crudely drew them on to the pic for you though. You'll figure it out

And here ya go.
Do you think you could also post a picture of behind the subs? You know, where the Amp rack would normally be? Only reason I ask is because I'm not sure how much space there would be behind there. Also, how did you get the enclosure to fit so snug? My enclosure falls out despite being held in place with a 'brace'.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by vnarang
Do you think you could also post a picture of behind the subs? You know, where the Amp rack would normally be? Only reason I ask is because I'm not sure how much space there would be behind there. Also, how did you get the enclosure to fit so snug? My enclosure falls out despite being held in place with a 'brace'.
I'll snap one tonight or this weekend. Looking back over my PM's, my sub enclosure isn't from ZEnclosures, by a company called Zonix. I purchased this from a member on here (StreetOC192), which he got here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...mZ260285532537

This thing fits very snugly, so snug in fact, that it is quite an effort to slide it under the brace (not that hard, but it takes a bit). Great price too!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 AM
quakerroatmeal

Originally Posted by cdoxp800
Here area few shots of mine. I have the Plexy installed. Now I need to paint the amp rack an install the neon light for it.
Which mounting brackets are you using? Did you buy pre-fab mounting brackets or you had to make your own.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 AM
KManZ
Banned

Which mounting brackets are you using? Did you buy pre-fab mounting brackets or you had to make your own.
If you go to Home Depot, you can find all sorts of brackets you can use. I got mine in the lumber/roofing section. They are about 6 inches long, and have a series of holes in them. Make sure you buy screws small enough to fit through the holes though. Also, if you are making an amp rack, make sure you get a pack of wood screws that aren't long enough that they pierce through your MDF board.

Oh, and if you take the Z there to buy the MDF board, ask them to cut it in half before you try and fit it onto the car

Quick Reply: Amp rack in Bose Sub. location