MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   A few system install questions (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/367066-a-few-system-install-questions.html)

Chi-TownWarrior 06-17-2008 09:04 PM

A few system install questions

I plan on re-wiring my system this 4th of July, and being that I am new to the car audio wiring thing, I have some questions.

I chose an amp for my FI Q10 The Sundown SAE-1000D per FI's recommendation.
http://www.sundownaudio.com/1000d.html

And for the box, I ordered the Zenclosures single 10 for now (I do plan on getting a custom box, I plan on using this one as a base for a custom box)

Now the questions.

I know I need distro blocks, grounding blocks, fuses, etc, etc. As I have chosen to go with 0AWG wire. What size fuse do I need to go with? I already have a boston amp (GT-22) plus running the Sundown amp? Would it be smart to go with a fused distro block or run fuses between the block and the amps. I already have my boston amp installed (did my self) and I plan on using the existing wire for this next install, so that would help me allot as far as cost of things. Can I use a distro block as a grounding block?

I know capacitors are hated and loved. SGP has a high power alternator, but I am waiting to find out if it works with an 08, so I have decided to go with an cap. I believe I will keep the cap installed even after an alternator upgrade, but where should I have that wired in relation to everything?

I have searched around and can't seem to find anything on wiring up multiple amps to one remote wire. How would I go about doing this? do I need a relay? if so what kind and where?.

Last question. Any recommendations as to where to re-run my wires? I ran my power wire down the passenger side kick panel into the cubby behind the driver's seat, and the speaker wire, and RCAs down the center. Does anyone have a better idea then that? I was thinking about running the speaker wires down the drivers side door, any input on that?

Well thats it for now. I'm pretty sure I'll have more questions as answers start flowing in. I do plan on taking pics for everyone to see what I have done. Thank you everyone.

Pete's 03SVT 06-17-2008 11:07 PM

Put the cap as close to the sub amp as possible. As far a distribution blocks, I usually use the cap as ditribution instead. Just run the 0 guage power and ground to the cap, and then run the power cables from the cap to the amps. Run the ground wires from the amps to the same location as the cap is grounded, keeping them as short as possible.
I never run wires down the center console, but it is personal preference. On the Z cars I always run the power down the passenger side and the signal wires down the drivers side. Again, this doesn't really matter.
For the remote wire, just run the wire to one of the amps, then run another wire out from the remote input of the first amp over to the second amp. You will not need a relay unless you are triggering at least 4 or 5 amps.

CLASSIFIED 06-18-2008 06:31 AM

First and for most, you made a post a while back debating whether or not you wanted door pods or kick panels. You never did reply on your decision so I am still waiting. I have a mind like an elephant my friend. Also, what part of Chicago are you from. I grew up in Naperville and currently live in Lake Geneva, WI (Chicago’s get away town). Either way when I get back home I have a killer audio install to perform, I mean the whole nine yards. Removing all the interior panels, installing sound deadener, door pods, disto blocks, caps, two amps, ****ing everything. Maybe you have better insight then I do and can lend a hand! Peace man. :cool:

Chi-TownWarrior 06-18-2008 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by CLASSIFIED
First and for most, you made a post a while back debating whether or not you wanted door pods or kick panels. You never did reply on your decision so I am still waiting. I have a mind like an elephant my friend. Also, what part of Chicago are you from. I grew up in Naperville and currently live in Lake Geneva, WI (Chicago’s get away town). Either way when I get back home I have a killer audio install to perform, I mean the whole nine yards. Removing all the interior panels, installing sound deadener, door pods, disto blocks, caps, two amps, ****ing everything. Maybe you have better insight then I do and can lend a hand! Peace man. :cool:

I grew up in Hoffman went to Fremd (yr 2000 grad). All my friends live in Buffalo Grove now, so when I go home, I go there. I got door pods, Focals, and a Boston Amp (happy now? :) ). As far as insight goes my dad will be helping me, and thats kinda cheating, because he has a Masters in Engineering (He knows enough of everything). I've been doing allot of research on this site (since 2004) on how to do this stuff, so all my ideas are based off what other people are doing. I plan on Dynomatting the interior to, but thats the only thing I plan on paying someone to do. I'll be doing my work at the parrents house from the 3rd-7th so if anyone is in the area on thoes days and wants to help PM me.

Chi-TownWarrior 06-18-2008 04:48 PM

Anyone know of a good place to get 4 conductor speaker wire?

doug 06-18-2008 05:24 PM

caps are useless.. and i have one in my car.. its only good for the bling factor.. that being said i should disconnect mine

Chi-TownWarrior 06-18-2008 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by doug
caps are useless.. and i have one in my car.. its only good for the bling factor.. that being said i should disconnect mine

Even while running 2 amps on a stock alt?

doug 06-18-2008 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chi-TownWarrior

if i turn my system up too much.. the amps for the components will get lower.. thats how i know my cap isn't doing sh!t

Chi-TownWarrior 06-19-2008 09:18 AM

My FI Q10 is finally on it's way (ordered on the 5th). I decided to cancel the order for my cap due to more people confirming that they do not work. How bad can things get for my alt?

350zspl 06-19-2008 11:56 AM

you can run about 1500 real watts off factory electrical if you are upgrading all wire off factory alt to 1/0 awg

using 1/0 awg power and ground

if you doing 1500 to 2500 watts same as above but add 1 each hatch drycell NOT A CAP

more than 2500 watts same as above but add HO alt

Chi-TownWarrior 06-21-2008 11:47 AM

I saw in the DIY about running power wire, and in there he ran 2 4AWG. How did he attach the other cable?, or would it be better to just use the 0AWG?

DVFlyer 06-21-2008 02:43 PM

I ran 5 amps (2000 watts) on a stock battery and alternator with no cap or extra battery.

DVFlyer 06-21-2008 02:47 PM

The idea behind a cap is that it stores energy and can deliver that energy quicker than a battery/ alternator in the event a high current demand situation exists.... i.e. heavy bass notes. But anything that lasts more than a millisecond or so has drained the capacitor and then it becomes a drain on the system.

That's the idea anyway... ;)

doug 06-21-2008 11:12 PM

I saw in the DIY about running power wire, and in there he ran 2 4AWG. How did he attach the other cable?, or would it be better to just use the 0AWG?

0 here

B5I8 06-22-2008 03:11 PM

In an ideal world, you should probably change your alternator first. This is not an ideal world though so this is what I suggest. Stick a Kinetik HC1400 under the hood. Do the "Big 3" in 0 gauge but the wire going from the alternator to the battery should be done in 4 gauge (this is Ohio Gen's recommendation). A capacitor is not needed or suggested. From there you can go ahead and install your system. If you still have dimming and would like to get rid of it, I'd get a HO alternator and add another Kinetik somewhere but I think you should be fine.

Chi-TownWarrior 06-27-2008 03:40 PM

Well got some more items in the mail over the week. sorry for the photos I keep forgetting my camera so the phone will have to do.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/486/img0022gr4.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7613/img0023lh0.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4802/img0024rr9.jpg

now do I just attach wires to the terminals and screw the sub down to the box or is there more then just that? Thanks again

B5I8 06-27-2008 03:59 PM

I hope you got a dual 2 ohm Q10, if so wire it up in parallel. The wiring should look like this:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/...4-ohm_mono.jpg

Chi-TownWarrior 06-27-2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by B5I8
I hope you got a dual 2 ohm Q10, if so wire it up in parallel. The wiring should look like this:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/...4-ohm_mono.jpg

Yes its the dual 2ohm, and I'm wiring it for 1ohm. I understand how to do that, its mounting the sub is my only question

B5I8 06-27-2008 05:13 PM

Wire it up and screw it down. That's about it. You don't need any polyfill as that box is plenty big enough.

Chi-TownWarrior 06-27-2008 05:21 PM

thank you sir