Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help! My Nav is setting off my Valentine1

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:00 PM
WolfMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It hasn't happened again to me.. not sure what it was, but all is well, and I FINALLY have the DVD so my Navi works yay!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:18 AM
sparky3Z

I have a Valentine One hardwired underneath my mirror and a Alpine navigation system. I never get any beeping unless I point and click my Alpine remote directly at the V1—then it goes off.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a stealth install of the V1, and I noticed the same problem. However, mine went away after the NAV display warmed up. Also, it only happens when the NAV is in night mode... in day mode it's just fine and the V1 doesn't freak out. I was a bit disturbed, and so closed the lid for a while. When I got home, I opened it up again to see if it would repeat and it didn't. I've since done this several times over, so do I have a good solution? no... but without a doubt the V1 is sensitive to some emissions from the stock NAV when set in night mode.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:39 PM
WolfMan

Rahtok:

I think you may be on to somthing.. cause I run at night for long periods of time in night mode, with no problems, but that one morning, it went crazy, perhaps is was because it was cold? hmmm

Oh well it works fine, so I'm happy.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:35 AM
My_Tampa_Z

Well that probably explains my situation as well. I cannot make the V1 go crazy when using the NAV it just happens sometimes and othertimes it doesn't. I did call V1 tech support and they said I could send the unit in and they would modify it so that the V1's Laser sensitivity was lower at night (same in Daytime Mode). They told me I would lose the auto dimming feature but I do not care since I use a remote display. The Tech told me the remote display has it's own light sensor. Bottom, line, is that it doesn't seem to be happening as much as before...really weird!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:39 AM
My_Tampa_Z

I've got a stealth install of the V1, and I noticed the same problem. However, mine went away after the NAV display warmed up. Also, it only happens when the NAV is in night mode... in day mode it's just fine and the V1 doesn't freak out. I was a bit disturbed, and so closed the lid for a while. When I got home, I opened it up again to see if it would repeat and it didn't. I've since done this several times over, so do I have a good solution? no... but without a doubt the V1 is sensitive to some emissions from the stock NAV when set in night mode.
Not sure what you mean by closing the NAV door to let it warm up. The Nav screen turns off when you close the door....so it is essentially off...right?
Old 09-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by My_Tampa_Z
Not sure what you mean by closing the NAV door to let it warm up. The Nav screen turns off when you close the door....so it is essentially off...right?
Yeah, you're right. I just spent a LOT of time in the garage when I got home because my new $400 toy was acting up. Between that first night and several nights since, it seems that if you let the display warm up it'll quit causing the detector to go off.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the backlight is a cold cathode type of thing, so that would prolly make sense.

One of the other tests I did the other night was to actually run it in day mode for about 10 minutes then switch it to night mode.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:07 AM
sparky3Z

That's one small advantage for the Alpine navigation over the stock Nissan—the Alpine switches day/night mode automatically and auto dims or brightens as daylight increases or decreases.