Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio Gurus enter here : amp help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM
ehsan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Gurus enter here : amp help needed

I been out the game for a long time.. was never into mid and highs and 3 way active and all that.

This came with my car, I have Boston Acoustics 2 speakers with 2 tweets in there now. They do have a cross over. A Jl sub was in the car as well but got so old the rubber came off so i tossed it.

I need to know how the power of this amp works. Amp is a JL e6450.. 6 Channel amp. My speakers in the car are really loud, but i hear cracking and its probably because they were played to loud.( time to get new ones)

# RMS Power Output:

* 45 Watts x 6 Channels @ 4 Ohms
* 75 Watts x 6 Channels @ 2 Ohms
* 90 Watts x 3 Channels @ 8 Ohms (Bridged)
* 150 Watts x 3 Channels @ 4 Ohms (Bridged)

My question are
1. Lets say I get 2 new speakers how many watts should i be looking for? My estimate is in the 200w range. Feed 100 to each speaker?
2. Where would the tweeters play in since they will not have a cross over? Can i still use that old cross over?
3. If 200 watts are being feed to the speakers...how much power will be given to channel 5 and 6 when bridged?

Here is the manual but i really dont understand it : http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/eSeries%20Amps/e6450.pdf

thanks for any help
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

youre going about it the wrong way.
The speakers are bux=zzing and clapping becuase they are probably not crozssed over high enough or at all.. the door and rear speakers require a crossover, sending only the mid to higher frfequencies to them. The reverse is true of the woofer.
Your gear appears dated, but is all mad by quality manufactureres, Id raplce only what was necesary and ahve wheat you already own installed correctly and tuned.. save yourself a large sum of money.

JL audio is awesome, find out what it was and replace it with the same or an updated model. if its a 6 channel amp, bridge the 2 channles into the sub and run the other 4 to all 4 of your existing speakers.
If your mid ranges ARE toast, no , youd really want to get a full new set of components unless you can get the exact same parts replaced from the manufacturer.. passive crossovers for tweeters and mids are really matched to those specific speakers, zobel networks etc..

Again, unless one mid is truly dead and you can order a replacement from Boston ( prob not) id reccomend pulling them out entirely and installing a new set entirely.

My thoughts are that it just needs some tlc and maybe a new woofer an you'll be set tho.
Find a local pro shop and have them take a look, its worth the money to save much more inthe end.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:22 PM
mjsmikey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple answer to your power question....

Always try to match the RMS rating to the RMS of the speaker input.
If your amp puts out 50Watss at 4 ohms, get a speaker that needs 50Watts at 4 ohms RMS, which is generally about 100Watt max at 4 ohms.

Bridging is already noted per your specs. Beyond that its a simply how you hook up the speakers. If you have 4 x 4ohm speakers you can get 1 ohm, or 16 ohms to one channel. if you have 2 x 4 ohms, you can get 2 ohms and 8 ohms to one channel. Simply hook up in series or parallel.

Generally amps put out more power if you get the ohm rating lower, however it does more work on the amp reducing life.

I would follow some advice from the guy below, if you can and can afford it, replace it with some good stuf and use a professional if your really confused.