Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Custom sub enclosure

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM
pigpimpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom sub enclosure

I am a novice fabricator so I need some input is apreciated.

Here is the plan:

1. Mount Sub under rear strut brace. Forward firing. This is the easy part.

2. Seal off the area from rear strut brace to trunk. Harder part is here.

a. Do not hinder line of sight out of the hatch.
b. This seal can only mount on the rear strut or on the hatch itself. Probably going with mounting on the hatch itself.

I have already made styrofoam to get a general idea of the space to seal off. I will most probably lay 1 layer of fiberglass and then use clay to mold the nooks and crannies.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
pigpimpc

So ultimately I will probably use foam or rubber gasket in between the panel (which is not yet, but will be mounted to the hatch) and the strut bar . This is pretty much only about 7 inches in width at the widest part. And I will use fiber glass so it will be lightweight.

Note in the first picture that some of the pieces are only for construction support. So in the second picture a fiberglass panel will be in the place of the styrofoam. I just need work on the molding and then also the mounting to the hatch of the fiberglass panel.

So I will pretty much conserve most of my trunk space but the box will have lots of airspace. Yes its not airtight, and there are multiple design flaws, but I'm hoping that the seal panel will be sufficient for "decent" bass.

If any of you expert builders want to jump on this within the next couple of days and take the idea help yourself I just ask for you to send me a prototype of the seal panel with gaskets hehe lol.
Attached Thumbnails Custom sub enclosure-z-box-001.jpg   Custom sub enclosure-z-box-002.jpg  

Last edited by pigpimpc; 04-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
pigpimpc

saving for pics
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 PM
pigpimpc

will saveded for the Peekchor with Dedee-K-shun
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Dallasmavs92

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waste of time honestly. I built a small little box for a 10" sub that fits in the cubby behind the driver seat, stapled an old towel to it to keep it from hitting/vibrating any metal, and used a few metal screws to drill it into part of the cubby support. Is PLENTY loud and gives me my whole hatch.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 PM
pigpimpc

Originally Posted by Dallasmavs92
Waste of time honestly. I built a small little box for a 10" sub that fits in the cubby behind the driver seat, stapled an old towel to it to keep it from hitting/vibrating any metal, and used a few metal screws to drill it into part of the cubby support. Is PLENTY loud and gives me my whole hatch.
Thanks for the input. If this doesnt work then I will try this and the zen box. Lol at old towel as dynamat I would have done the same thing we think alike hehe.

Im going to home depot tomorrow to buy some Expanding Foam hehe.

Last edited by pigpimpc; 04-30-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

zenclosures box costs 100 dollars.. whats the issue.

Expanding foam? Foolish move my friend. Enjoy ruining your car.

This forum is going downhill FAST.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM
pigpimpc

The purpose of the expanding foam would be to create a mold.

You do understand that I am in the mold making stages?

I am asking for input on how I should make the mold. The expanding foam by no means is the finished product.

At this point I might change direction:

1. mold the strut bar
2. Take of the hatch plastic and mold around that
3. Put those molds in the car with the hatch closed and use clay for the nooks and crannies.

At that point I should have a decent mold for the sealing panel.

The issue: I am bass hungry and my solution is a box with big space. Also I like to experiment.

Last edited by pigpimpc; 05-01-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 414 Likes on 237 Posts

i gotcha, I do.
But you have 227 thread views and 7 replies.. that should mean something .. clay? sweet dear baby jeebus, you just need to research proper ways to build fiberglass boxes and to make molds.

Liquid expanding foam aint one of them.

go to ebay, search 350z sub box/ enclosure etc.

plenty of pre painted fiberglass boxes for plenty iof ridiculous bass . Im not trying to tell you dont tinker, im saying youre going about it a very poor way.

Bass hungry w big box space?

oh man.. why do i even reply to these..

inb4tl...
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
pigpimpc

Well you almost talked me out of it, but those ebay boxes are way too small especially the mounting depth for the subs that I want to use.

It would be easy for me to make my own zen-styled imitation box, but it would still not suit my needs.

This box is customed to my taste and needs and my purpose is to both share and get some building input.

I am gonna proceed no matter what but all input is good.

Its gonna take a while this is like a two month project. Maybe the finished product will appeal to you cause i admit it looks like crap right now hehe.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 PM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hope it goes well. Post pics and review on how it sounds. Sometimes it is just fun to pick up projects just to have the chance to work on the car. But this is an Audio project and you don't want to end up with something that will sound like crap. Good luck
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Just to add to it, you just posted a good advise for the other guy

Originally Posted by pigpimpc
Like everyone said, save money for better quality. HU you do not want to skimp on. The cheap crap falls apart within months. Besides the Z is a special breed of car you don't want to cheapen it in anyway don't punk your car like that.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
drivessidewayz

Shouldn't the subs be firing back or up for best sound? I've never had an audio shop tell me to aim my subs at me...my truck is to the floor and in the Z mine were aimed at the hatch.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
pigpimpc

Originally Posted by drivessidewayz
Shouldn't the subs be firing back or up for best sound? I've never had an audio shop tell me to aim my subs at me...my truck is to the floor and in the Z mine were aimed at the hatch.
Yes but the design didnt allow it cause I wanted to save the middle compartment in case I had two store a second set of golf clubs like the picture on the hatch.

Anyways I changed my minde I'm probably gonna make or buy a zenstyle enclosure. I can't afford jl though. I guess I'll just be happy with whatever I can buy :/

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 PM
bjjbadboy

Hey bro haven't been on the boards in a while I'm actually just finishing up a etc all fiberglassed... Zenclosure would have deff been cheaper and easier but I like to do everything myself... I already made my enclosure under the strut bar and looking for a better way... I cut a piece of mdf to match under the strut bar ( i used the carpet from the trunk and traced it. I covered everything in foil then brushed resin on the foil... Worked great for the sides n base but dripped all over when brushing it "upside down". Ended up working good enough to get a mold.. Then pulled the moldand throw about 5 layers if mat on the iniside attached the rings the way I wanted ( using 2 12s) . Etc etc it passed the stand on it with all ur weight test so it's strong enough lol I'm going to post all the pics soon as I am done my last layer of glass on the amp rack I tried stretching the resin w very little hardener n it's been cold and rainy so it's now 2 full days and almost dry...

I wanted to be able to remove everything if need my spare or need trunk and have the amp rack sitting directly behind me that little half of the strut bar side... If I was going to hide the amp or go for a different look I would have built a box out of mdf under the strut bar and widen open in that little half then just make a top piece that fits in that half.. Cut out the back side of the strut bar( where sub will go) cut out big enough circle to fit sub mount that piece to the box then mount the ring how u want... Stretch the cloth and bam you only have to glass the front of it everything else is covered this deff the easiest cheapest way...
From what I've Learned for next time
I forget which resin to use but dont use home depot loses brand it's to thick and you get a butt load of air bubbles when using mat its not so bad when using cloth.

Try to use as much mdf as you can resin cost me 35$ for the big can I used 3 for the subs and rack and it's a pita to work with and makes a mess when your sanding.. If ur sanding in the cabin make sure to seal it up good..

If u do want to glass everything just foil or wax... I would foil then wax everything u Want to be the box all along the sides of the trunk etc after u lay the mat n glass u can make a sort of outline of the interior out of mdf then stetvh cloth over it and glass it in the car.. Good look I have a ton of pics and although harder longer n possible little more then prefab my fabrication is one of a kind angled just the way I want. I'm going to do another with 3 10s coming out of the spare n some other silly stuff maybe a fish bowl or something lol
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 PM
pigpimpc

Originally Posted by bjjbadboy
Hey bro haven't been on the boards in a while I'm actually just finishing up a etc all fiberglassed... Zenclosure would have deff been cheaper and easier but I like to do everything myself... I already made my enclosure under the strut bar and looking for a better way... I cut a piece of mdf to match under the strut bar ( i used the carpet from the trunk and traced it. I covered everything in foil then brushed resin on the foil... Worked great for the sides n base but dripped all over when brushing it "upside down". Ended up working good enough to get a mold.. Then pulled the moldand throw about 5 layers if mat on the iniside attached the rings the way I wanted ( using 2 12s) . Etc etc it passed the stand on it with all ur weight test so it's strong enough lol I'm going to post all the pics soon as I am done my last layer of glass on the amp rack I tried stretching the resin w very little hardener n it's been cold and rainy so it's now 2 full days and almost dry...

I wanted to be able to remove everything if need my spare or need trunk and have the amp rack sitting directly behind me that little half of the strut bar side... If I was going to hide the amp or go for a different look I would have built a box out of mdf under the strut bar and widen open in that little half then just make a top piece that fits in that half.. Cut out the back side of the strut bar( where sub will go) cut out big enough circle to fit sub mount that piece to the box then mount the ring how u want... Stretch the cloth and bam you only have to glass the front of it everything else is covered this deff the easiest cheapest way...
From what I've Learned for next time
I forget which resin to use but dont use home depot loses brand it's to thick and you get a butt load of air bubbles when using mat its not so bad when using cloth.

Try to use as much mdf as you can resin cost me 35$ for the big can I used 3 for the subs and rack and it's a pita to work with and makes a mess when your sanding.. If ur sanding in the cabin make sure to seal it up good..

If u do want to glass everything just foil or wax... I would foil then wax everything u Want to be the box all along the sides of the trunk etc after u lay the mat n glass u can make a sort of outline of the interior out of mdf then stetvh cloth over it and glass it in the car.. Good look I have a ton of pics and although harder longer n possible little more then prefab my fabrication is one of a kind angled just the way I want. I'm going to do another with 3 10s coming out of the spare n some other silly stuff maybe a fish bowl or something lol
I was starting to make a zen style enclosure except that I have a 10" audiobahn sitting around that I wanted to use instead of buying a new sub. Gotta be smart with the money these days.

I decided to go back to the original plan so this project is back up and running because I wanted ported, and this sub needs a lot of space. Its a Quagmire right now but once its done it I think it will look pretty cool. Functional? Now thats another story lol. Thanks for the tips I'm buying my resin from Walmart. And yes it is expensive.
Save weight (fiberglass) or save money (mdf)? lol
Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
bjjbadboy

Originally Posted by pigpimpc
I was starting to make a zen style enclosure except that I have a 10" audiobahn sitting around that I wanted to use instead of buying a new sub. Gotta be smart with the money these days.

I decided to go back to the original plan so this project is back up and running because I wanted ported, and this
sub needs a lot of space. Its a Quagmire right now but once its done it I think it will look pretty Walmart. And yes it is expensive.
Save weight (lol

Yeah mine started out totally just reading seeing different builds but nothing really like what ur lookin g to do and I did, I'll get some pics up tomorrow(. How do I do that from my iPhone lol) n post some too. I am going to deff change my set up in the future I'm using some MTX 12s , if i could it would be 3 JLs but same thing with money of coarse.. I would deff buy the "resin" online I forget what it's called all the stuff can buy in walmart etc is to thick. There are some fiberglass forums that guys have crazy experience tips ideas etc I'm gonna post my set up n process over there get tips and see the "real" way.

Another tip is to mix half resin with half bondo use the same amount of hardener you would use for each. Do that for the last layer. It's called a milkshake really increases strength.. I ran out of mat and was already like 5 layers in so just applied the mix and it deff passes the stand on and jump test keep us posted as will i
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
pigpimpc

Yeah mine started out totally just reading seeing different builds but nothing really like what ur lookin g to do and I did, I'll get some pics up tomorrow(. How do I do that from my iPhone lol) n post some too. I am going to deff change my set up in the future I'm using some MTX 12s , if i could it would be 3 JLs but same thing with money of coarse.. I would deff buy the "resin" online I forget what it's called all the stuff can buy in walmart etc is to thick. There are some fiberglass forums that guys have crazy experience tips ideas etc I'm gonna post my set up n process over there get tips and see the "real" way.

Another tip is to mix half resin with half bondo use the same amount of hardener you would use for each. Do that for the last layer. It's called a milkshake really increases strength.. I ran out of mat and was already like 5 layers in so just applied the mix and it deff passes the stand on and jump test keep us posted as will i
I should have done more research and look how the fiberglass pros are doing it and what they are doing. That "milkshake" mix sounds interesting. I'll have to give that a shot if I can get my hands on some bondo...

I'm interested to see your pics. Well here are some more pics:

My sub will be firing forward. I know people have said it should fire back but my box is going to be ported and I think it will still sound great. I am going to ask a couple of Z owners in my area for their honest opinion once its done. Also making the mold isn't so easy so I plan to make a casting template so that in case this set up is stolen or damaged, I will already have the template to fiberglass over.

I finishing the seal panel- strut bar to hatch cover.

Also on my smoke break I found a pleasant surprise: A piece of MDF just perfect for my 10" sub:
Attached Thumbnails Custom sub enclosure-z-box-2-004.jpg   Custom sub enclosure-z-box-2-003.jpg  

Last edited by pigpimpc; 05-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM
bjjbadboy

I'm gonna start a thread of my whole build tomorrow it should be able to help you out. How do I post pics from photo bucket? If you don't plan on carpeting or vinyling it your deff going to have to use some body filler after you glass.. I'll post more In the am hopefully can help
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM
pigpimpc

I'm gonna start a thread of my whole build tomorrow it should be able to help you out. How do I post pics from photo bucket? If you don't plan on carpeting or vinyling it your deff going to have to use some body filler after you glass.. I'll post more In the am hopefully can help
Yes its crooked as heck. I might just see if it works first and if it does then even everything out smooth and straight.

Can't wait to see your project

Quick Reply: Custom sub enclosure