Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

stock head unit + aftermarket speaker amp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Vitamin_B12

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default stock head unit + aftermarket speaker amp?

hi guys,

if i keep the stock head unit, but have aftermarket speakers in all 4 spots, can i splice in to the bose speaker amp (in the hatch corner) and use an aftermarket amp?

why am i doing this? basically because it would essentially be free

i was just tearing the car's interior apart for learning, and saw that the previous owner left his aftermarket speakers in all 4 spots, but it's the stock speaker amp in the trunk

and i have just lying around a 4-channel amp in my girlfriend's car not being used

since the sub has its own little amp, would i be okay just using all 4 channels for the 4 speakers and leaving the sub and head unit alone?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

This issue has come up a few times. It would be a useless and complicated process. Note that a lot of guys try to pull some aftermarket parts out and return to stock before selling vehicle. There is a chance there used to be an aftermarket headunit in there which is the best way to go if you change out speakers. You will be doing yourself a big favor by using aftermarket headunit and running separate power to the amp from the battery and also running separate speaker wires. Should sound easy for you now that you have the car torn apart
Old 06-15-2017, 07:27 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beezee
This issue has come up a few times. It would be a useless and complicated process. Note that a lot of guys try to pull some aftermarket parts out and return to stock before selling vehicle. There is a chance there used to be an aftermarket head unit in there which is the best way to go if you change out speakers. You will be doing yourself a big favor by using aftermarket head unit and running separate power to the amp from the battery and also running separate speaker wires. Should sound easy for you now that you have the car torn apart
How important is it to run separate speaker wires? My Z stereo system im leaving stock but i have a forester also. Forester has an aftermarket head unit, after market speakers, and 4 channel amp for the speakers (no sub woofer yet). I have rca cables running to the amplifier and then speaker wires running back to behind the head unit to the original wiring harness that then wires into each speaker. Am i missing out by using the stock wiring harness for the speakers instead of using some new thicker wires routed myself? The amp is only pushing 70 watts rms to each speaker. Was my first amplifier install at the time and didn't think wiring through each door separately was worth my time.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:52 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

You really don't need to but bigger separate wires helps if you have the time. I recommended to op since he already had the interior ripped apart. Running speaker wires through the door is never fun. Your setup should work fine
The following users liked this post:
BrookZee (06-19-2017)