MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   Best 4 channel amp?quick (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/8410-best-4-channel-amp-quick.html)

Vincey2kr1 10-14-2002 01:08 PM

Best 4 channel amp?quick

Ordered my Focal polyglass component set :D for my Z, wondering what amp i should power them with? I use to have a Soundstream(Rubbicon II) amp and loved it, wondering if there's anything better?

Vincey2kr1 10-14-2002 01:15 PM

Ya thought the same but if you check the specs, the JL audio delivers a .03% Thd were the soundstream and PPI deliver .02%.

fanatic6711 10-14-2002 01:22 PM

I haven't been in the audio system in about 4 years, but when I was, I had an Xtant amp, the absolute best you can by. Or go Eclipse. You might want to go with MB Quart speakers as well. Trust me, the money will be well worth it. I had JL 15 W6's, Xtant 500 watt amp by 2, Rockfordfosgate 550 Amp by 4, Eclipse head unit with built in cd changer, Stinger bass cap, 4 6 1/2 MB Quart component set up front with 5 1/2 coaxils in the rear. You could hear my car CLEARLY from 3 miles away! This was also in a 92 Lowered Amigo. I won a lot of shows in NJ, so trust me. Just got out of the lower rider thing two years ago. Got tired of it.

Subw00er 10-14-2002 01:50 PM

Vincey2kr1, fyi below .08% is inaudable. I'd bet my life that you couldnt tell the difference between .03 and .02

The jl amps are strong class D amps and hot in the market now. You would go wrong getting one. I have the 500/1.

InternetABYSS 10-14-2002 02:28 PM

Best amp I ever used was Precision Power Art series amps.

I tried tons of others but that was about 5 years ago.

roberto350z 10-14-2002 02:34 PM

Originally posted by fanatic6711
I haven't been in the audio system in about 4 years, but when I was, I had an Xtant amp, the absolute best you can by. Or go Eclipse. You might want to go with MB Quart speakers as well. Trust me, the money will be well worth it. I had JL 15 W6's, Xtant 500 watt amp by 2, Rockfordfosgate 550 Amp by 4, Eclipse head unit with built in cd changer, Stinger bass cap, 4 6 1/2 MB Quart component set up front with 5 1/2 coaxils in the rear. You could hear my car CLEARLY from 3 miles away! This was also in a 92 Lowered Amigo. I won a lot of shows in NJ, so trust me. Just got out of the lower rider thing two years ago. Got tired of it.

my biggest apologies, but this system is for folks with more money than time. for the price of the MB quarts, you can easily get a four chanel amp, speakers and a sub (w/o box) that will match the above mentioned systems SQ (sound quality) with regard to the average listener.

For serious research...go here www.caraudioforum.com.

So far, people are apeshit across the board for Jl audio, Cadence or Zapco amps.

Jl audio, Image Dynamics, Adire subs

focal and Jl audio XR comps.

Jl audio wins alot of competitions, but my buddy found Image Dynamics that I agree sounds better for the same price.

Zspot 10-14-2002 03:52 PM

Check out Phoenix Gold. They make some of the best amps available. I've personally had very good luck with them.

imntcrzy 10-14-2002 04:30 PM

good choice on Focal..... as for the amp.... depends on what kind of music you will be listening to. In my opinion Focal has good bass extension and very good mid-bass impact... but they are also very hungry speakers. In order for your Focal's to sing you will need lots of power. I have used zapco, xtant, crossfire, and McIntosh, on the Focal's. There are many great amps out there in addition to those such as brax, linear, butler, et cetera. I guess it depends on your budget and musical taste. If money is no object look at brax or McIntosh. I personally used Xtant. Xtant gave me good soundstage, although the sound was less warm than McIntosh.

nizl 10-14-2002 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Subw00er
Vincey2kr1, fyi below .08% is inaudable. I'd bet my life that you couldnt tell the difference between .03 and .02

The jl amps are strong class D amps and hot in the market now. You would go wrong getting one. I have the 500/1.

Class-D amps are good for subs, but their "coarse" processing makes them very bad choices for components. JL as a brand makes good products though, so the 300/2 for components could work.

BUT, Soundstream is still one of the very best brands, more highly regarded than JL in terms of SQ. If you could go with Soundstream, Zapco, McIntosh, or Crossfire I would think you'd be much happier than JL...

nizl 10-14-2002 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
my biggest apologies, but this system is for folks with more money than time. for the price of the MB quarts, you can easily get a four chanel amp, speakers and a sub (w/o box) that will match the above mentioned systems SQ (sound quality) with regard to the average listener.
True, but I gotta disagree overall. I think MB Quart are very high-quality components, and are highly-regarded, even though the sound of the tweeter makes me want to kill myself, even at -9db.

That said, a lot of people do trash them because there are other high-end component sets in the same price range, like Focal, Dynaudio, and Rainbow, that are arguably better. With the Quart's you're paying for the name a bit, like JL.

JL audio wins alot of competitions, but my buddy found Image Dynamics that I agree sounds better for the same price.
It's worth noting that Image Dynamics actually wins a lot of competitions; in fact some of the top cars I'm aware of sport IDMAX subs.

MSGarrett1 10-15-2002 04:45 AM

Originally posted by VQracer
OK, whatever that means :confused:

Told you I didn't know much about audio :D

Victor :(

THD is total harmonic distortion. Now, first one must mention that whether a driver is rated at 0.02% or 0.03% or whatever depends very highly on who is doing the measuring, how, and with what. Further, whether one can tell a difference between .02% and .03% or whatever, again depends on many other variables--power rating of the components, amount of RMS power delivered to said components, particular vehicle, average listening volume preferred, etc.

Now as far as component choice, I have very strong opinions in this regard. You wrote that you have chosen the Focal Polyglass series. For the money I think you can do better. Their more expensive Focal PolyKevlar, and their top line Utopia series are excellent components. Having said that, if you listen to them, you may notice a lacking in the mid-range department. This is not a default in the driver, but a designed and intended quality secondary to the absolutely FLAT frequency response of these components--best in the industry second only to Dynaudio. MB Quart and many others including Boston Acoustics, purposely design a boost in their components in these mid-range frequencies--advantage is better mid-range--guitar, piano, etc. Disadvantage--nasal voices, etc.

OK here's the opinion of one man with many yrs experience in car audio--best components price range under $300.00 1) MB Quart QM218.61Q, 2) Kicker KRS6C, 3) JL Audio XR650-CS, price range over $300.00 1) Dynaudio ND 130/X280/MW160 2) Diamond Hex S600 3) Focal Utopia 165W, in that order.

MSGarrett1 10-15-2002 04:50 AM

Re: Best 4 channel amp?quick

Originally posted by Vincey2kr1
Ordered my Focal polyglass component set :D for my Z, wondering what amp i should power them with? I use to have a Soundstream(Rubbicon II) amp and loved it, wondering if there's anything better?
As for the original question . . for those components (these are the least expensive Focals) most respected name-brand amps will be fine--JL Audio, MTX, Phoenix Gold, McIntosh, PPI, Soundstream, Zapco, there are many more. If you can change your order for your components please consider the components under $300.00 I listed--I think you will be happier. Of course in the end, to know what makes you happiest, you need only listen to various drivers and compare them--listening to music you like, at the volume you like, etc.

nizl 10-15-2002 07:04 AM

Originally posted by MSGarrett1
OK here's the opinion of one man with many yrs experience in car audio--best components price range under $300.00 1) MB Quart QM218.61Q, 2) Kicker KRS6C, 3) JL Audio XR650-CS, price range over $300.00 1) Dynaudio ND 130/X280/MW160 2) Diamond Hex S600 3) Focal Utopia 165W, in that order.
Very nice list, but I think you meant a different set of MBQ's... the 218.61's are about $600... did you mean the RSC or PSC 216's?

MEfreak 10-15-2002 11:46 AM

My brother loves his JL 300/4. I know, not much info, but I thought I would share anyway.

Vincey2kr1 10-15-2002 12:05 PM

I listened to the Mb quarts and the tweeter was really to harsh/piercing for my taste, were the focal tweets were very smooth. The quarts did have a better midrange, but i couldn't stand the tweet.

roberto350z 10-15-2002 03:44 PM

Originally posted by nizl
True, but I gotta disagree overall.

...a lot of people do trash them because there are other high-end component sets, like focal, dynaudio that are arguably better. With the Quart's you're paying for the name a bit, like JL.

you disagreed, then agreed :confused:

what I meant by more time than money, is that you can easily save money by spending time on research. Just use the name, and spend more, like on MB quart and JL amps and subs. Spend time and end up with focal, dynaudio, imageD and yes, the JL xr comps.

nizl 10-15-2002 05:11 PM

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
you disagreed, then agreed :confused:
I guess all I meant is that while they're arguably a little overpriced, they're still outstanding speakers with a very distinctive sound, IMO. I don't like it, but lots and lots of people do, and MBQ's wins lots of comps, way more than Dynaudio, for example.

fdao 11-07-2002 12:38 PM

What about a/d/s speakers and amp? I know they're a bit $$$, but, damn, they sound so smooth and warm! Any thoughts?

DIGItonium 11-07-2002 12:45 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned Alpine V12 series.... sorta expensive, but there's ways to find them at a good deal.

Vincey2kr1 11-07-2002 01:16 PM

I really don't like the Alpine V12's, I had one before my Soundstream was stolen and it didnt' even compare(same RMS rating and was weak compared to the Soundstream).