MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio & Video (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video-52/)
-   -   Make a line/aux in for your 2003 Bose headunit – step by step guide (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video/93941-make-a-line-aux-in-for-your-2003-bose-headunit-o-step-by-step-guide.html)

ZOwl 11-21-2004 03:29 PM

well i just tried this, and after reassembling the unit i have two major problems:
1. the line input level is way too low
2. the volume knob on my HU no longer works

i obviously screwed something up, so there are dangers here

something fishy 11-22-2004 11:35 PM

@ZOwl
Sorry that it hasn't worked for you.

However I doubt that the mod to the cassette module would have any direct effect on the master volume control (assuming that no pretty obvious damage was done to the main PCB when the unit was in pieces).

My guess is that the front panel has not reseated correctly (maybe some of the contact pins were damaged/bent when you removed it) hence the non-functioning volume control. Can you remove it again and reseat (after checking that all the connections are visually OK).

Cheers

Eric

ZOwl 11-23-2004 01:52 PM

I removed and reseated it. The pins looked fine, I didn't see any issues. All the other buttons are working properly, but the volume knob still has no effect.

eMpTei 11-23-2004 01:58 PM

Check to see if you have an exposed wire, I did this mod, and it worked perfectly, it's odd that your getting this problem.

Do you only have a problem with the volume knob when it is in "Tape" mode?

ZOwl 11-23-2004 02:31 PM

No the volume knob does not work in any mode. Luckily the volume was set at a comfortable level before it went bad so it's not killing me.

What do you mean by exposed wire? Which wire?

eMpTei 11-23-2004 03:10 PM

the connection that you made to the cassette player

something fishy 11-23-2004 04:15 PM

The clearance between the metal bulkhead across the headunit and the soldered connections is pretty tight when the cassette assembly is back in place. You might be getting a short to ground there (which might explain the low gain on the tape input).

Try putting a piece of insulating tape over the three solder blobs to make sure that they're not touching anything.

Cheers
Eric

ZOwl 11-26-2004 11:46 AM

Well I've found both problems. I had a bad ground on the input line which resulted in the low line level, that has been fixed.

The volume control was a different issue. I had accidentally scratched the PCB on the back of the faceplate while trying to remove it initially, and I had cut one of the lines from the volume knob. I will get that fixed by a friend of mine who is a pro at working with PCBs.

uklooney 11-26-2004 01:08 PM

Re: blahblahblah

Originally posted by hyuk81
I asked a guy on a forum for the nissan murano he know a ton of electrical stuff... so since I'm changing my H/U I might try to send him my H/U to figure out how to short the sensor to make the H/U thinks there is a tape in it...
Would it be possible to completely remove the tape assembly from the BOSE unit and fool the unit into thinking it is still there? Line In's (and fooling stuff) could then be attached to the exposed connector with a cable/pcb? without damaging the circuit board at all. i.e. a 'plug and play' solution :D

uklooney 11-26-2004 01:13 PM

You could also probably tie in to the other i/o and build an interface to control your mp3 player (iPod etc) from the controls on the HU.

Now that's something I'd pay for :D

slaponte 11-26-2004 02:38 PM

I am not about to do this, but for those working on it, just an idea.

Noise from the tape unit could/must be generated by the motors trying to "turn" the tape. Sooo... how about you disable the motor while you are in there? You might still need the "dummy" tape, but you won't get any noise if nothing is turning/moving...

Just an idea. Very interesting thread! :)

ZOwl 11-29-2004 10:08 AM

Well I've had the faceplate repaired and now I'm up and running 100%. It works and I'm happy with the result. Plus my empty nav compartment is a great location for an MP3 player.

something fishy 11-29-2004 06:58 PM

@Zowl
Glad you're sorted.

@slaponte
Cassette decks check that at least one (and probably both) reels are rotating to prevent the capstan and rubber pinch wheel stretching the tape in the eventuality that the tape becomes jammed. It's not enough to disable the motor, you need to convince the deck that the tape is moving or it will stop and mute the input.

Cheers
Eric

slaponte 11-30-2004 10:37 AM

Maybe I am old, but this used to be done via a mechanical sensor that rested against the tape. If the tape stopped moving it would push the sensor "out" and it will trigger auto stop.

Now, given new age technology, they might use an optical sensor or something like it to check for movement. I thought this unlikely since it would add cost to a cheap unit... but who knows.

My thought was that any "noise" on the line would come from the spinning motors, so if you can make them not spin you probably get rid of the noise.

Sorry, didn't mean to "dirty" up the thread with unfounded thoughts.

something fishy 11-30-2004 03:23 PM

@slaponte
You're not dirtying at all, ultimately as the Bose is back in my Z and isn't coming out again its just my opinion. I've always thought the reel movement was detected directly on the reel that the tape is spooling from or both but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers
Eric

ZOwl 12-01-2004 04:46 PM

I'm happy with it in this state as well, I don't plan on taking the deck out again. Although, there is some noise from the power supply for my MP3 player. Its a 12V/5V step down car adapter. Any ideas on how to filter out some of that noise?

sparky3Z 03-06-2005 05:45 PM

Originally posted by something fishy

@slaponte
Cassette decks check that at least one (and probably both) reels are rotating to prevent the capstan and rubber pinch wheel stretching the tape in the eventuality that the tape becomes jammed. It's not enough to disable the motor, you need to convince the deck that the tape is moving or it will stop and mute the input.

Cheers
Eric

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that it's entirely possible that the muting of the cassette input may happen before the signal gets to the solder points as previously shown. If that is correct, wouldn't you be able to avoid using a cassette adapter by piggybacking the new input wires to the shown solder points and not cutting the existing solder lines. You could still use the cassette player as intended or your new iPod, etc. input, but not both at the same time because of signal overload.

ZZZealous007 03-07-2005 08:11 PM

wat if you took an old tape and ripped out the internals and stuck it in there? That might cut down on some noise within the cassette deck.

something fishy 03-26-2005 05:13 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me that it's entirely possible that the muting of the cassette input may happen before the signal gets to the solder points as previously shown. If that is correct, wouldn't you be able to avoid using a cassette adapter by piggybacking the new input wires to the shown solder points and not cutting the existing solder lines. You could still use the cassette player as intended or your new iPod, etc. input, but not both at the same time because of signal overload.
Unfortunately not. If this were the case then the piggyback signal would work without a cassette in the cassette deck irrespective of whether the traces were cut. It doesn't. With the auxiliary source playing you need a dummy cassette in order to hear the output.

MySunset350Z 04-01-2005 07:01 PM

are fm modulators that bad?

i just purchased a ppl digital fm stereo modulator with built in ground isolator ic and anti howling system. im still debating on wheather or not i want to go the modulator route or the tape deck route. i have yet to use the tape deck in the 2 years i've had my z so its not like im worried about the losing the tape deck. however the fm modulator will save me a lot work. this whole thing is for hooking up my xbox into my stock nav screen and getting sound threw the stock bose system.

basically my questions is, what do you guys think? modulator or tape deck and why? thanks.