Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Metra Kit installed PICS + Infinity Basslink

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:35 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metra Kit installed PICS + Infinity Basslink

Well, I just finished my stereo install and I have to say I am very happy with the results. It absolutely rocks and I can quickly remove the sub for track days. I can also easily return the car to stock. Sometimes though, I wish I didn't know how to do any of this crap because I really don't enjoy it, but it's hard to justify spending the $$'s on something you can do yourself. Here is a list of the components:

1: 2 Pair Infinity Reference series 6.5" Speakers
2: Metra Dash Kit
3: Alpine 7894 Deck
4: Infinity Basslink with built in 200watt RMS amp
5: Monster XLN signal cable for sub and power cables for deck and sub amp
6: iPOD 10 Gig MP3 player running through the Alpine AUX input.

The speakers have been in for a few weeks now and that made quite a difference alone. As per Alpine's instructions I wired the deck directly to the battery. I punched 2 holes through the boot located right behind the battery after removing the surrounding plastic. One line went right to the deck and the other all the way to the rear to the sub.

I liked the 7894 deck because it's pretty much the most powerful RMS deck on the market at 27 watts X 4 and it can be set to Amber illumination. I also really love all the built in time correction functions. 27 watts RMS is plenty for the efficient Reference series speakers especially using the decks built in high pass crossover set to 80hz. The deck has a sub out that I use to control the Basslink although I am using the Xover in the Basslink for the sub and not the deck.

The iPOD is located in the Nav compartment where I simply drilled a hole on the side and ran in my mini jack cable that has RCA's on the other end that go into the AUX input.

Here are some PICS:

Totally flush mounted.

Basslink totally hidden from sight with hatch down. To mount the Basslink I went to Home Depot and bought some of that thin fiber board and made a cutout using the carpet as a template.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:37 PM
jran76

Looks nice.....

It's funny you mentioned those reasons for the deck, I am looking at that deck for the exact same reasons (except I will use the audio in for audio from a PS2). How does the amber ill. look?

I would like to use that deck in the place of a amp, my goal is to keep the weight of the stock system the same as what I install, or close to it.....

Oh, one other thing, how efficant are the INI Ref. speakers? Do you know what they are rated (db's)?

Last edited by jran76; 11-21-2002 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:42 PM
Edretti

I love the deck! I'm looking at buying that deck right now with a 7" LED Display so I can hook up the nav and play dvd's. Very nice though!

Eddie
Old 11-21-2002, 04:43 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My metra kit comes in a couple days.

I would like to remove that pocket and install
a Sony XE-744 spectrum analyzer. Is this
possible?

I can't wait!
Old 11-21-2002, 04:46 PM
Edretti

I'm curious, I noticed that you placed your sub in the back. I plan on putting a sub behind the drivers seat like it is on my touring model. Any pro's, con's, suggestions and opinions on what's better???

Eddie
Old 11-21-2002, 04:52 PM
raceboy
Banned

I put the sub in back because that is where you'll get the strongest bass response. The problem is that now the sub is much farther away from you than the other speakers and there is a delay. Alpine 7894 to the rescue. With full time correction you can delay all the other speakers and bring the sub to the front, basically all the sound from all the speakers hitting your ears at the same time.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:28 PM
raceboy
Banned

The sensitivity of the Infinity speakers is 92db.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...ct.asp?ProdId='REF652I'&Ser=REF&Cat=MEL
Old 11-21-2002, 05:30 PM
Edretti

Thanks! Good to know! I think I may have to upgrade to the infinity's as well.

Eddie
Old 11-21-2002, 05:31 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that looks really good. Do you have any pics of the boot that you punched into for the hookup to the battery? Also, was it tough to fish the power leads through there, and where did they come through on the cabin side?

Thanks, and great install!

Gary
Old 11-21-2002, 05:37 PM
raceboy
Banned

I used this pic from Schindem to find out where to run in the 2 power leads:

I just used a phillips screwdriver to make 2 holes that were extremely tight around the cables. You will need to remove the passenger side kick panel and as you push down a few feet of the cable it should become at least visable/grabable right in that kick panel opening.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:13 PM
ZThang

Damn dude...you are a stud w/that sweet as$ system in....man i'm so jealous....i applaud u
Old 11-21-2002, 06:59 PM
Vincey2kr1

Sweet everyone notice the dash kit makes the stereo flush with the rest of the plastic!!
Old 11-21-2002, 07:29 PM
Jason

Yeah, that's a really nice dash kit. It's good to know there is one around if I decide to go with a Z.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:01 PM
SunsetZ

Where did you get the Metra kit? Do they sell direct from their own website? I couldn't find a dealer that carried this online.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:01 PM
GaryM05

Okay, that looks pretty easy to punch through behind the battery and pull the cables through behind the quarter-panel. I'm guessing that you were able to run the HU power cable from there to behind the console through the same path that the speaker wires run out from the console. Did you have to drill in through there at all, or could you just push the power line in behind the console for hook-up to the HU right next to the speaker cables?

And finally, are those front Infinity Reference speakers components, and if so, was it easy to remove the sail panels and install the tweeters (any cutting or special fitting required for that?)

Sorry for all of the questions, but this is really helping me out. I've never installed a car system before, but pics and posts like this make me think it's worth the $$ savings to install the parts myself. Thanks again.

Gary

Last edited by GaryM05; 11-21-2002 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:03 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by Vincey2kr1
Sweet everyone notice the dash kit makes the stereo flush with the rest of the plastic!!
Yup, it's totally flush! That is why I waited because I couldn't stand all the surface DIN mount installs I was seeing with custome plates. When you get the kit just follow the ISO mount instructions using the supplied adaptors. I also used a harness by Scosche, so no cutting into the cars wiring at all.

This kit does also allow for double DIN head units and two seperate din units as well.

There was no drilling required (I did drill through the NAV compartment for my AUX input mini jack but most people won't need to do that.)

My speakers are just the coaxials and not seperates and I can't wait to let another member hear this system. Sound quality is simply outstanding and it's not even fully tuned and time corrected yet!

I tried to have a group buy on the kit but I guess you can get them at CC for $18 now, although I haven't seen anyone else here with it yet. Oh well, at least I already have mine and that was worth the $35 to me!

Even if you paid full retail:
Deck $400
Basslink $400
Kit $18
Wiring $60
Speakers $150 (right now you can buy one pair and get one free)
Total was just over $1000 (I have a hook up at the Good Guys so I get a bit better deal like cost)

I'll put this $1000 system up agains any other $1000 system out there.

Last edited by raceboy; 11-21-2002 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:31 PM
GaryM05

I'm REALLY glad to hear that the coax Infinity speakers sound so good, because I was not looking forward to removing the sail panels and fitting aftermarket tweeters in there. That space doesn't look very friendly towards modification, so I had been hoping to get away with coax up front. It sounds like that's a perfectly viable way to go.

Just for the record, which Infinity speakers did you go with? I've narrowed it down to the Reference 652i or the Kappa 63.5I, but I'd be curious to know what you went with.

I guess my last concern was with the wiring connection from the HU into the car's speakers wires, but it sounds like the Scosche harness solves that problem going from the HU output plug into the car's input harness with no cutting, splicing or general ugliness.

Thanks once more; now go listen to that awesome stereo you've got!

Gary
Old 11-21-2002, 09:14 PM
raceboy
Banned

The Coaxials are the 652i's.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:36 AM
Stone Z

Question

So, you don't use the trim ring from the HU, correct? The dash kit itself acts as the trim ring?
Old 11-22-2002, 05:58 AM
Grey Matter

Originally posted by raceboy

My speakers are just the coaxials and not seperates and I can't wait to let another member hear this system. Sound quality is simply outstanding and it's not even fully tuned and time corrected yet!
I would like to hear it. Let me know if you want to meet one day for lunch or when you are in Thousand Oaks.

Quick Reply: Metra Kit installed PICS + Infinity Basslink