Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Done! - Installed OEM Sirius Sat in 05 ZR

Old 04-18-2005, 04:48 PM
nissan350zfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Done! - Installed OEM Sirius Sat in 05 ZR

There appears to be some conflicting information in this forum on whether or not the Bose Head unit in the Roadster is Sat compatible

I have just had an OEM Sirius receiver installed in my 05 ZR and can confirm that the Bose Head unit with the 6 CD changer is SAT ready. I have just activated my unit and can control the SAT receiver with the Bose head unit. Some comments that may help those of you that are considering this install:

1. The Sat capable head unit has a "RADIO" button instead of "AM/FM. Pressing the button cycles the radio through AM, FM1, FM2 and, once the Sat receiver is installed - SAT1 and Sat2.

2. Nissan states that the Roadster is not Sat capable. (Canadians will be told by Nissan Canada that NO Canadian Nisan model is SAT capable) Both statements are incorrect. Assuming you have the right head unit, it can be made Sat capable by purchasing the pre-wire harness to hook up the receiver to the Head Unit.

3. My installer told me that the usual receiver location in the Coupe - against the rear trunk wall - would not accomodate the receiver in the Roadster.

4. My receiver was instead installed high on the passenger kick board, behind the plastice trim cover - apparently there is plenty of space for the installation of a mounting bracked for the receiver in that location.

5. Antenna Mounting can be problematic on the Roadster - however, if you do not have the NAV option, there is a cavity, originally intened for the GPS antenna, under the driver's side upper instrument panel cover that will accomodate the mini antenna - that is where mine is installed. The Sat signal passes through the dash material and the windsheild with no problems - reception is great.

6. I purchased the OEM receiver along with the pre-wire harness and antenna from Grubbs Infinity:

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Mer...Code=350ZAudio

This is my second satellite receiver purchase from them and I am pleased with their service.

7. If you purchase a receiver other than the OEM model, the Bose head unit MAY still be able to directly control the receiver provided you can obtain a wiring harness to connect it to the head unit. I have come across reports that PAC Audio harnesses have worked in some applications, but I have no direct knowldege of this.

8. I am located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and can vouch that the Sirius signal is received loud and clear up here!

Cheers
Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 AM
sselway

Do you know if this is the same for 2004 models? My head unit does say "RADIO" and not "AM/FM"... Also does germany have Satellite radio available? Cheers!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:11 AM
boldenmd

I can't believe the folks at Nissan haven't figured this out for the roadster. I was ready to go satellite when I bought this roadster, and the salesman was pretty much taken aback when the service guys said it couldn't be done.

So where would you put the antenna if you have NAV?
Old 04-19-2005, 05:37 AM
rjpaterson
Z Enthusiast

My 04 Roadster is pre-wired for sattelite. When I removed the dash to install my PAC AAI-NIS I noticed that there was a cable already plugged into the radio on the sattelite connector.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 AM
butterwm

I basically had the same question - where can I install the sat antenna where it will not be visible if I have the nav system?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:22 AM
CAN0802

If you have the nav and want to hide your sat antenna, try to find something made of plastic to hide it. While I have yet to install it on my ZR, I have done so with my Sebring vert, by placing the antenna right on the underside of the trunk, which is made of plastic. I have driven coast to coast and in all sorts of terrain, and unless I am under a bridge or block the skyward path off to the south in areas without the land transmitters, I don't drop signals. Installers will tell you many places you can't put the antenna, but try for yourself and experiment. There are many places you can hide that antenna, and even more with the mini antenna.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am assuming this wont work for 2003 coupes?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:17 AM
maxpowers

Do you need a US mailing address to sign up?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I placed mine on top of the windshield frame. Ran the wire through the weather stripping. Works great for reception and doesn't look 1/2 bad either.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:39 PM
nissan350zfan

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Do you need a US mailing address to sign up?
Yes, you need a US mailing address to sign up. I used a relative's address. But there are a number of Canadian businesses out there that will provide an address to you for as little as $20.00 per year.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:38 AM
dirk

will the Nissan stock head unit display the Artist & Song title?

Thanks
Dirk
Old 04-24-2005, 07:39 AM
nissan350zfan

Originally Posted by dirk
will the Nissan stock head unit display the Artist & Song title?

Thanks
Dirk
Provided that it has the "RADIO" button - yes. However, it is only one line at a time and you have to press the "display" button to cycle through the station name, artist, songtitle.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:40 AM
dirk

Thanks

Dirk
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nissan350zfan
Provided that it has the "RADIO" button - yes. However, it is only one line at a time and you have to press the "display" button to cycle through the station name, artist, songtitle.
so 03's wont be able to display that artist name...
Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
topdown-z

Angry Sirius Sat. Radio

NO NO NO NO...........There is NO Nissan 350Z that has a Bose or any other head unit that is Sat Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat ready means that all you have to do is subscribe to the Sirius service at $12.99 a month and then they, (Sirius) will activate your Sat ready radio via the Sirius satellites covering this beautiful little planet that we live on. Then all you have to do is turn on your Sat ready radio and push the proper button and listen to the wonderful stations they have to offer.

Now on to the 350Z.................the TOURING ROADSTER has a Bose 6 disc head unit that will accept a Sirius Tuner signal and play it through the amp in the Bose head unit. Yes my friend, you are right when you talk about the radio button. AFTER you have installed the Sirius Receiver and PAC-NIS unit, you can then and ONLY then push the button to see the SR-1 or SR-2 indicators on your Bose unit. Again.....you cannot get those displays if you do not install the Sirius Receiver and PAC-NIS unit.

As far as the antenna, you can mount it anywhere you want on top of the dash as long as it has a clear shot to the sky. I mounted mine in the lower left corner of the dash and it has worked fine for the 3 months I have had it.

I've got to go back to work now but if anyone wants to know about the install, etc......shoot me a message or ask a question on this post. I'm sorry if it looks like I'm flaming someone but I realy get upset when this issue continues to get spoken about in error.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:42 PM
nissan350zfan

Originally Posted by topdown-z
NO NO NO NO...........There is NO Nissan 350Z that has a Bose or any other head unit that is Sat Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Again.....you cannot get those displays if you do not install the Sirius Receiver and PAC-NIS unit.

I've got to go back to work now but if anyone wants to know about the install, etc......shoot me a message or ask a question on this post. I'm sorry if it looks like I'm flaming someone but I realy get upset when this issue continues to get spoken about in error.

I think you should go back and read my post carefully. I was referring to the Bose head unit being "Sat capable" in that it can accept a direct plug in from an OEM Sat receiver and then control the receiver using the head unit controls and display.

You are obviously talking about something other than an OEM Nissan Sat receiver because you mention the need for a PAC-NIS unit, which is not needed with the OEM receiver.

No error on my part - as mentioned in my post, I have done the OEM SAT Receiver install, with no need for the PAC, and it works like a charm.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:20 PM
topdown-z

Angry Sirius Sat Radio

I'm glad you can point out that you made "no error" on your part. I must have misunderstood your second paragraph where you stated that you can "confirm" that the Bose head unit is "sat ready" Maybe you should re-read your post.

Now onto the real issue....maybe they market a different 350Z in Canada but the ones they sell in the U.S. are NOT Sat ready or whatever you are trying to convince the readers of this forum about your car. There is no way in hell that you can directly plug in a Sirius Sat Receiver in the back of an OEM Bose head unit and get it to work. You CAN plug in the interface AAI-NIS or some other compatible brand of interface into the back of the head unit to get it to work. You mentioned that your "installer" did the work. Maybe you should check with him or her to find out the real deal. Think about it for a second, why would you buy a Sirius receiver and plug it directly into the back of your head unit?? Your head unit from the factory is only set up to receive the signal from the receiver either by utilizing an interface or picking up the signal from the receiver via FM. I'm not just some whack job out there writing a bunch of crap. I happen to own an audio store that deals specifically with Nissan dealerships, connecting sat radios in addition to other custom installations.

Secondly, ther is also no way in hell that you are placing any kind of a Sat antenna under any kind of dash compartment or whatever you call it. And NO the signal cannot EVER be picked up through the dash material. If you knew anything about Sat radio antennas, you would know that all you have to do to kill the signal is put your hand or a piece of paper over the antenna. Just try havong the Sat radio on and pull into a gas station with a roof or go under an overpass or through a tunnel. But again, I don't know anything about how you guys work on cars in Canada. Maybe we are just whacked out in America?????????
Old 05-05-2005, 07:02 AM
CAN0802

Secondly, ther is also no way in hell that you are placing any kind of a Sat antenna under any kind of dash compartment or whatever you call it. And NO the signal cannot EVER be picked up through the dash material. If you knew anything about Sat radio antennas, you would know that all you have to do to kill the signal is put your hand or a piece of paper over the antenna. Just try havong the Sat radio on and pull into a gas station with a roof or go under an overpass or through a tunnel. But again, I don't know anything about how you guys work on cars in Canada. Maybe we are just whacked out in America?????????[/QUOTE]

Well, you had me there until that last part, during which you proved you have no idea how satellite radio antennas work. I have the antenna installed under the trunk lid of my Sebring convertible, and it picks up the signal just fine being completely blocked by the trunk. Is the signal reduced? Most likely, but there is still enough signal there so as to not lose reception, unless I am in an area where the southern sky is blocked, such as under bridges or in the mountains, which I lose them in my Jeep Wrangler as well in those places.

So, I'd suggest that before you go slamming others thinking they are clueless, do some research. The frequencies that satellite radio operates will easily pass through most light materials and cloths without much loss in signal.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:50 AM
topdown-z

Well CANO802, I think you have stumbled upon a very valuable piece of information. You have somehow been blessed with a miracle antenna that can be put inside of a car's trunk and still function. That is simply amazing. I think you should share your information with the major auto manufacturers so they could stop researching methods of design for their antennas that still have to be placed on the exterior of their cars and trucks. It seems that they have not been made aware that you can just slap it in the trunk and away you go. While you are at it, you should also get ahold of the R&D personnel at XM and Sirius to let them know about it. Because for some strange reason, they are still telling people that they have to place the antenna in a position that provides an unobstructed view of the sky. This also goes for the boom boxes that each of them offer for sale.

I'm also happy that you were able to let others on this forum know that they don't have to sweat the installation of the satellite antennas on their roadsters anymore. I wish I knew about the trunk thing before I went and put my antenna on the dash. Oh and before I forget, make sure you tell Nissan about the trunk thing because they are still mounting the satellite antennas on the left rear portion of the roof on the coupes and it looks like hell. You could probably save them a lot of money.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 08:49 AM
maxpowers

Originally Posted by topdown-z
I don't know anything about how you guys work on cars in Canada. Maybe we are just whacked out in America?????????
Was that necessary?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Done! - Installed OEM Sirius Sat in 05 ZR