Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Double-Din H/U’s, Multiple Monitors, & Navigation (Pics here)

Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Since the DNX 8120 won’t throw it’s navigation to a remote screen or use a remote touch screen for function, combining this unit with a touch screen (as the Kenwood KOS-L702 Remote Touch-Screen Monitor) isn’t what you want.

Also the Kenwood KOS-L702 Remote Touch-Screen Monitor requires the KOS controller which isn’t something you need since you have a fully functional H/U with the DNX 8120.

The only screen you would add to your DNX 8120 is a plain NTSC LCD, and you use this screen to view DVD’s you play on your DNX 8120 or video output from your rearview camera.

--Spike
Old 07-22-2009, 12:22 PM
tquill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Since the DNX 8120 won’t throw it’s navigation to a remote screen or use a remote touch screen for function, combining this unit with a touch screen (as the Kenwood KOS-L702 Remote Touch-Screen Monitor) isn’t what you want.

Also the Kenwood KOS-L702 Remote Touch-Screen Monitor requires the KOS controller which isn’t something you need since you have a fully functional H/U with the DNX 8120.

The only screen you would add to your DNX 8120 is a plain NTSC LCD, and you use this screen to view DVD’s you play on your DNX 8120 or video output from your rearview camera.

--Spike
This is an older thread I know, but I figured it might be helpful to some to update it.

Anyway, the 2008 Kenwood units, such as the DNX8120, do have navigation as an a/v-out... so they can put the navigation to a second monitor. The 2007 units and below do not have navigation as an a/v-out source.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tquill
This is an older thread I know, but I figured it might be helpful to some to update it.

Anyway, the 2008 Kenwood units, such as the DNX8120, do have navigation as an a/v-out... so they can put the navigation to a second monitor. The 2007 units and below do not have navigation as an a/v-out source.
Thanks for posting that information/correction. In fact I wasn’t aware of this capability, but I am receiving some PM’s saying this is possible (I have not personally confirmed this, and the manual isn't clear on this).

The caveat is you do not have touch screen support on the remote monitor displaying the navigation. But, that isn’t a significant liability since you can use the handheld IR remote control to operate the navigation side while observing the results on the remote monitor.

If you have a passenger onboard, the handheld remote control is very useful. I pass the remote to my passenger and tell them they are in charge of navigation. The remote’s thumb-style joystick is easy to operate, and the Garmin application software is so intuitive that anyone can run the device. That way I concentrate on driving without distraction, and my passenger gets us to our destination… safely.

In fact the OEM Garmin navigation component in the DNX 8120 operates guidance so seamlessly you probably won’t need to do much after setting the destination, except listening to the voice commands and occasionally glancing at the map display.

--Spike