Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

sintaxeror's build log - tons of PICS/No 56k!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
smaha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sosojeffcc
wait a minute here....no sound deadening on the doors????? (but it looks like you're trying to make anything you do completely reversible)

Enclosure looks awesome with the vinyl!
+2....while its all apart, lay down some some good sound dampener. i'm currently throwing down 5 gallons of quiet car in my Z. So far, so good. If anyone is considering dampening, I highly recommend this stuff. It takes awhile, and is alot of work, but its the shizzle! I'm doing fender wells, and the entire interior (except the roof)...with 4 coats. Can't wait to finish the project. If there's anything left, I'll debate between interior firewall, interior hood and under the headliner (which I'm kinda nervous about taking down).

Am tuned in for tomorrows update on the box after installation!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:54 PM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by smaha
+2....while its all apart, lay down some some good sound dampener. i'm currently throwing down 5 gallons of quiet car in my Z. So far, so good. If anyone is considering dampening, I highly recommend this stuff. It takes awhile, and is alot of work, but its the shizzle! I'm doing fender wells, and the entire interior (except the roof)...with 4 coats. Can't wait to finish the project. If there's anything left, I'll debate between interior firewall, interior hood and under the headliner (which I'm kinda nervous about taking down).

Am tuned in for tomorrows update on the box after installation!
Please see post #278.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I bet you already answered this but why don't you invest(build) in some door pods and flush mount those tweeters?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
I bet you already answered this but why don't you invest(build) in some door pods and flush mount those tweeters?
I'm not really willing to compromise on comfort or the ability to revert back to stock... Door pods get in the way and require you to drill your door panels... kicks take up even more foot space..
I'm not really a super audiophile.. I just like to do this has a hobby, and listen to my music loud without too much distortion..

I'm also pretty sure an understrut sub box will sound better than the one I built.. but I'm not willing to give up the hatch space...
Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
I'm not really willing to compromise on comfort or the ability to revert back to stock... Door pods get in the way and require you to drill your door panels... kicks take up even more foot space..
I'm not really a super audiophile.. I just like to do this has a hobby, and listen to my music loud without too much distortion..

I'm also pretty sure an understrut sub box will sound better than the one I built.. but I'm not willing to give up the hatch space...
Totally understandable and a very well thought out install. Can't wait till u finish this up.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
sintaxeror

Ugh... I think this build is cursed.
Today did not go very well and I am too frustrated to blog tonight..
The run down is... got the sub in.. sounded like there was a leak.. spent several hours troubleshooting... NEVER use hurricane nuts. Also.. I will probably never buy DLS products again.

Found the air leak.. The surround/basket joint is not sealed in one spot I was lucky to find it.. but in the 15 or so times I took the sub on and off while troubleshooting I accidentally put my screw driver through the surround. I am going to call eD about it tomorrow... I assume they will help since there is actually a defect in the surround anyhow and this being my third sub already...

Pictures tomorrow... too frustrated now.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Get_Zwole

may i ask why you are so down on the dls? crossovers or what? just curious.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
lukep90

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
may i ask why you are so down on the dls? crossovers or what? just curious.
im curious too...
Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
Ugh... I think this build is cursed.
Today did not go very well and I am too frustrated to blog tonight..
The run down is... got the sub in.. sounded like there was a leak.. spent several hours troubleshooting... NEVER use hurricane nuts. Also.. I will probably never buy DLS products again.

Found the air leak.. The surround/basket joint is not sealed in one spot I was lucky to find it.. but in the 15 or so times I took the sub on and off while troubleshooting I accidentally put my screw driver through the surround. I am going to call eD about it tomorrow... I assume they will help since there is actually a defect in the surround anyhow and this being my third sub already...

Pictures tomorrow... too frustrated now.
That really sucks bro.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 AM
sintaxeror

I'll have pictures up this evening...
There are two thing about the DLS that have put me off.
The first being that the mounting template was not correct at all.. mounting diameter was wrong... hole locations were wrong.. I know this is a small thing but it just strikes me as odd that this would be messed up.

The other thing, the big thing, were the crossovers. I took pictures to post up tonight. Two inductors on one, and one inductor on the other seem to have suffered some sort of trauma. In all three, They are pulled off the PCB, glue and all.. and the zipties holding them down are all broken. Now, everything was neatly packaged, boxes were all in great shape. Nothing looked amiss in the packing, which makes me think that these were packaged this way? Also, Its a little strange that glue would be torn, and zip ties broken, and yet the components themselves remained neatly soldered to the PCB. Did I get a refurb or something? I don't think there is any way to tell... either way, I took out the PCBs and tied everything back down, reinstalled and everything seems to work but this, combined with the myriad of good speaker options out there, is enough to keep me from buying from them again as I wonder if they may be having some quality control problems. I went ahead and installed them because I was tired of returning things (that was before I realized my sub has some sort of problem also...

As for the leak..Yes I used gasket tape, I used tons of it.. I took that thing on and off about 15 times trying to find the problem..which appears to be a bad joint at the 10:30 hole location... I wouldn't have caught it, but some dust fell into that hole and while i was pushing a little on the cone to try and locate the leak, i saw the dust fly out... After some more testing I realized it wasn't user error, but by then I had already put a screw driver through the surround =/... I do have pictures though of the first time I mounted it with the bolts.. it did look awfully pretty...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Sonicspeed

Kept tryin man. You have been doing a great job!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
sintaxeror

Spoke to eD this morning, and we worked out a deal. I will be sending this sub back on my own dime, but they will be sending me a brand new 11o which hopefully will be defect free. I am getting to the point now where I just want this whole ordeal to be over with... Lets hope the end result is worth it!

Also can't say enough for eD customer service. I am not 100% happy with having to pay to ship one way, but considering the luck I have had this whole thing could have gone a lot worse, and Alex@eD has always taken the time to talk to me when I call. I also mentioned the messed up crossovers and he is going to try and get me a new pair from DLS.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey jay, i responded to your thread on icix, the oxver situation i think is a random thing, the onthing that have always impressed me the most, with DLS, and the main reason why i chose to remain loytal to them versus other high end brands, IS their quality control and reliablity, the fact that i have gone through over 150 sets in the past two years, with less than 5 failures is pretty great stuff, for me, based on my experience iwth many other brands.

so like i said, if you cant get thne new xovers through ED, i will send you brand new ones for free. on behalf of DLS, i want to apologize sincerely for that issue. just PM me if you need new ones.

the print out template thing, i dont dbout, literature has never been their strong suit, the werid thing is, DLS seems to cater their needs to advanced installers, or seasoned SQ competitors, who rarely uses those templates or read the manual, and uses prefer to soder or crimp their on connectors so it fits their own style...

to make it slightly easier for the average joe is something we US dealers have been pushing for a while now, but the response is a litlte slow.

but again let me know if you hvae any issues with the speaker themselves and what not, and i will help you the best i can

b
Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Sonicspeed

Good news on that front. I am wondering how that box will preform for you after you finally get that sub hooked up.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 AM
sintaxeror

-Cross-posted with ICIX-
Bing, Thanks for your apologies.. its not really the idea that mine weren't perfect that seems off to me.. its just the manner in which it was messed up. Broken glue, broken zip ties... components still soldered into place... casing looks perfect, packaging looks perfect. Just seems very fishy to me. I am trying to piece together in my mind what could possibly have happened that would have yanked these off the PCB hard enough to break all the binding, but still leave the actual component intact and completely wound... then again, I don't have a degree in forensics nor do I watch a lot of CSI Either way.. just seems a little fishy.

At any rate, I do appreciate you chiming in here and I will certainly let you know of eD has any difficulty getting me a new pair.

If you scroll up to the picture where I am comparing the size of the crossover to a dollar bill, you can see on the big inductor that the zip ties are broken. At this point it was still wrapped in plastic, and I didn't even notice myself..
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

yeah i see it, either way, keep me updated, i ahve really no idea waht could cuase that, as i havent seen it myself so far.

the sticker ugh! dude you have no idea how hard we tried to hammer the point home during ces two years ago, they came up with this idea, allof us US dealers and reps were shocked, and said no no no! but the european market, seem to eat that stuff up... its odd for us, but they really seem to like it...so instead of really nice key chains, we get these dumb stickers, well, it could have been worse, when we talked to them before at ces, they were thinking that it wouls say "I am the champ!!" wtf...

but honestly, DLS is a much more european focused company than US...so they get their wishes before we do

but yeah the sticker is super gay IMO
Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
yeah i see it, either way, keep me updated, i ahve really no idea waht could cuase that, as i havent seen it myself so far.

the sticker ugh! dude you have no idea how hard we tried to hammer the point home during ces two years ago, they came up with this idea, allof us US dealers and reps were shocked, and said no no no! but the european market, seem to eat that stuff up... its odd for us, but they really seem to like it...so instead of really nice key chains, we get these dumb stickers, well, it could have been worse, when we talked to them before at ces, they were thinking that it wouls say "I am the champ!!" wtf...

but honestly, DLS is a much more european focused company than US...so they get their wishes before we do

but yeah the sticker is super gay IMO
i agree sticker is prettty ghey i got a cool keychain with mine
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
i agree sticker is prettty ghey i got a cool keychain with mine
Post up a pic of the keychain, just so I can get pissed about something else
Old 03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

jay, consider yourself a winner of a free DLS key chain i collect them, have about 50 of them so far, i had a rule where only if the system i install is over 4000 total, do i give them the key chain lol

give me your mailing address and i will send one over to ya this week

b
Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
jay, consider yourself a winner of a free DLS key chain i collect them, have about 50 of them so far, i had a rule where only if the system i install is over 4000 total, do i give them the key chain lol

give me your mailing address and i will send one over to ya this week

b
Damn if i would have known i would have changed my build and done a fiberglass enclosure lol.

Quick Reply: sintaxeror's build log - tons of PICS/No 56k!