Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

sintaxeror's build log - tons of PICS/No 56k!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM
sintaxeror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 16psibrick
jay, consider yourself a winner of a free DLS key chain i collect them, have about 50 of them so far, i had a rule where only if the system i install is over 4000 total, do i give them the key chain lol

give me your mailing address and i will send one over to ya this week

b
I'm not sure thats really necessary but what the hey.. I never turn down free stuff. PM sent
Old 03-31-2008, 07:35 PM
sintaxeror

UPDATE 3/31/08

Here are the pics I had promised you guys...

Took off the driver's side door panel..

Sail panel with stock tweeter..

All cut up..

Strapped down..

tape to mount crossover..

Then I closed the door, and I heard a horrible noise... Did it again and I noticed it was the big inductor on the crossover slapping against the PCB.. why? Because the components were pulled off of the PCBs and the zip ties were broken..

Other side..

Other one is broken too..

Took out the PCB and strapped the parts back down....

And the other one.. I ran out of medium sized zip ties so I had to use two small ones on each side..

Drivers side door wired...

Drilled holes to cut out the spacer..

Cut out and sanded...

Test fit.. just right.

Some gasket tape on the spacer..

And on the driver..

Installed...

Drivers side door panel back on..

And passenger side..

Stripped, tinned, and wrapped the sub speaker cable..

Sub box cleaned up and ready...much like your mom was for me last night (ZING!)

Put some gasket tape on the sub and hooked up the wires..

And bolted down.. looks good!

Ready to set the gains..

Installed... eh.. big gap by the strut bar does not a happy Jay make.

So I ripped off the foam on that side..

Ahh much better..

You can kind of see those wrinkles.. So I will have to cover them up some how.. don't worry, I'll think of something...

Installed..

View from the drivers side..

Took a test listen.. sounded okay... I heard a little rattle when it hit a little harder.. I am thinking.. what is that? So I was trying to locate it around the sub.. couldn't find it.

So I took the sub out of the nook and into the hatch area... still hearing it..
You know what that means right? Leak. I was so careful though...

So I tried to take it out to find the leak (Assuming that there must be a problem with the enclosure).. ofcourse three (count'em, THREE) of the hurricane nuts spun in their hole during this process, and I had to take a dremel to bolts and cut the heads off just so I could get the sub out.

So.. I don't want to do THAT over again.. so I need to fill the bolt holes.. I used liquid nails as usual (I have a ton of it, as you may have noticed).

This time I put gasket tape on the box because I was worried that maybe the cutout was somehow misshapen (which I was quite sure wasnt the case)..

At this point I started getting very frustrated and stopped taking pictures.
I used dry wall screws this time and turned the sub a little.. bummer as much as I want everything to be perfect I know now that the logo will never be straight. =/

So I took it in and out and in and out... each time I would push a little on the cone and hear a little air coming from some where. I tried adding more gasket tape around the first later to make sure there was a seal over all the basket... still the same "whoosh"... Around then I slipped with the screw driver and put it through the surround. Now I am thinking.. well.. I am going to have to get this reconed, but I still need to figure out what the problem is.. so I kept going with it.. In and out.. more gasket tape.. take off old tape.. replace it.. Still leaking....

And then I got lucky... Kind of like I did with your mom last night (ZING ZING!!)... There was some dust from drilling over the screw at the 10:30 hole..and when I pushed on the cone it flew up... So I took the sub out again and looked there.. the hole is not misshapen there or anything, there is plenty of space for the gasket to seal... So I took off the rubber thing around the basket and put it back down and tried again, and saw that the air was actually coming from where the surround is glued to the basket. I guess this is good news and bad news.. I won't have to pay for a recone, and there is nothing wrong with my enclosure.. I don't think I have to explain the bad part of it.

Oh, and about the mom jokes. They weren't directed at any of you personally, more towards all of you. I was with your collective mom last night...
Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
UPDATE 3/31/08
Oh, and about the mom jokes. They weren't directed at any of you personally, more towards all of you. I was with your collective mom last night...
I feel so relieved.

Getting most of the kinks sorted out, huh?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:07 PM
iamdigital

Dude, Nice work!!!! Any way to scan that patern and post a photo of what you made for the door speaker extenders? I wanna make the same thing but I allready got rid of the OEM speakers thinking I'd get PODs then that I'd go soundless now I want to do that!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamdigital
Dude, Nice work!!!! Any way to scan that patern and post a photo of what you made for the door speaker extenders? I wanna make the same thing but I allready got rid of the OEM speakers thinking I'd get PODs then that I'd go soundless now I want to do that!

Here you go my friend. One I made.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Z_Front_Door.pdf (130.6 KB, 119 views)
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 PM
_NIZMO_

are spacer's necessary
Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 PM
cbr900son

Originally Posted by _NIZMO_
are spacer's necessary
No depending on the depth of the speaker. I forgot the actual measurement.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 PM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see if ytou have run into the air leaking out of hte mountingholes thing with the 11ov, i went htrough countless ones with that, even t ually wrapped screws in strip caulk and then screw them down...pan heads also seem to work better...

b
Old 04-04-2008, 09:50 AM
DeZi_chokro
Banned

wtf man!! i've been waiting over a week for the updates...COME ON!! ...i love this thread!!

good work so far!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 AM
iMikie

fail

but yeah, hurry up!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM
sintaxeror

haha keep your panties on, kids =)
The new sub came in on Sat, but I was out of town. I'll try to get it in tonight but might be having people over for the NCAA finals. =) Just hoooooold on.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am impatient! I am unsubscribing from this thread!!!!

Re-Subscribed
Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 PM
sintaxeror

UPDATE 4/8/08

Well guys I finally got the new sub in. Finally everything works.
Here are the pics..

Put some new weather strip on the box..

Mounted the sub..

Mounted in the car... sounds GREAT.

Also got this little guy... remaining updates will probably be based on finding a good place to mount it.

The DLS dealer here is supposed to eventually get in touch with me about switching out my crossovers.

So how does it sound? As Bing warned, i was starting to find the highs a little harsh with the tweeters in the stock sail panels.. I eq'd them down a little and I think they are ok now we will see.

The DLS mids have a LOT of bass to them. Seriously, if I wasn't such a show off I would just run a Nine.2 and the DLS up6 and be pretty satisfied. Also really only adds about 5 lbs to the car for that setup and WORLDS better sound than the stockers.

The sub sounds great.. blends very well. The bass head in me wants more (the bass head in me always wants more, though), so we'll see how output is affected by break-in. Otherwise I MIGHT consider selling the box and build something ported or something...

Well there you have it.. probably only some smaller updates from here on out. Questions or Comments?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM
sosojeffcc

sweeet...finally an update haha. Man that enclosure really looks good!

Did you attenuate the tweeters at all with the passive crossovers? what freq did you set the x-over at on your nine.2? I got my set of UP6's ordered finally Gonna be run off two channels of an alpine pdx-4.150 tho.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES, sell the enclosure...sell it cheap...to me, and build yourself a ported enclosure!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by sosojeffcc
sweeet...finally an update haha. Man that enclosure really looks good!

Did you attenuate the tweeters at all with the passive crossovers? what freq did you set the x-over at on your nine.2? I got my set of UP6's ordered finally Gonna be run off two channels of an alpine pdx-4.150 tho.
I used the 5120's crossover and set it to 80hz... I have the tweets set to 0db so no attenuation.. I tried lowering it but then it sounded kind of funny.

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
YES, sell the enclosure...sell it cheap...to me, and build yourself a ported enclosure!
Hah, we'll have to see
Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 AM
Sonicspeed

Very nice job man. Maybe you should quit your dayjob and just build boxes :-p
Old 04-10-2008, 06:27 AM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

great install

def one of the better install threads ive seen on here

besides bings of course LOL
Old 04-10-2008, 02:50 PM
sintaxeror

UPDATE 4/10/08

So.. Everything sounds great.... but I want more.
More Loud.

I think I am going to try to build something more like the JL stealthbox style. I think the way I have it aimed now, I may be missing out on some cabin gain. Don't get me wrong.. for rock/pop this setup really kicks ***, but if I want to put in some hip hop and straight up **** off my neighbors I just don't think this setup has it... Thats not exactly what I am going for, but you know what I mean.

Now I just need to decide... 2 subs sealed? or 1 sub ported?

2 sealed notes: I will have to buy two new subs because of the voice coil configuration on my current sub.. so this one will need to be sold along with the enclosure. This should definitely be the louder of the two options though, but also a little heavier. The box will be a lot easier to build and more forgiving of any miscalculations I make.

1 ported notes: I've never build a ported box and its not as easy when you are using an odd shape whose volume wont be known until after construction. I can use the sub I have right now, will only need to sell the sealed enclosure I just finished. Will also be a little lighter...

So.. regardless of which direction I am going.. the enclosure is definitely up for sale.. Haven't considered a price yet but don't let that stop you from PMing me if you're interested =)
Old 04-10-2008, 04:46 PM
crg914

If it isn't too much trouble, could you post the volume of the enclosure you are selling. Would be nice to know mounting depth as well so anyone interested can shop around for subs to use with it

Quick Reply: sintaxeror's build log - tons of PICS/No 56k!