MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Audio Builds (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds-496/)
-   -   Fiberglass enclosure pictures under the Strut tower (https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/8786-fiberglass-enclosure-pictures-under-the-strut-tower.html)

Nazar 10-19-2002 09:41 AM

Here is a picture of ehat we did for our application so we could fit th ebox with 3x10W6-v2 subs. You will need to make a similar face to fit any other sub, but ofcourse with round holes, You will see what I mean in the next picture.

Nazar 10-19-2002 09:42 AM

Here is the picture with rings in place for the build out

Nazar 10-19-2002 12:29 PM

Box prepping with 3x10" rings

michael350 10-20-2002 11:49 AM

how much for the finished box like the one you have?

including the subs

Driven 10-20-2002 02:36 PM

Nazar,

Could you post a picture or two of what the box looks like from the back side when installed? With the seat pulled forward?
Thnks.

Anyone2u 10-20-2002 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Driven
Nazar,

Could you post a picture or two of what the box looks like from the back side when installed? With the seat pulled forward?
Thnks.

I met Nazar today to pick up some stereo equipment and he put the box in my car so I can at least comment on it.

The top of the enclosure fits perfect under the strut brace and is the exact same width as the strut brace at the top. Therefore the "front" of it (or "back side" as you described it) starts even with the strut brace and then comes down at an angle toward the base of the "rear speaker pod". This side is flat (see the earlier pictures) and you could easily mount an amp, a prize winning fish or anything else on it. It really makes great use of the "useless" area between the strut brace and the aforementioned "speaker pod". Nazar also pointed out that you could mount the subs on that side just as well and have the subs "firing" forward. The best part is that is slides "snug" under the brace but can easily be moved in the event you needed access to the spare tire. It is perfect for the car and quite ingenious. He took pictures of it in my car (both front and back) and will, I imagine, be posting them soon.

Nazar, it was great meeting you and my friend (Mark) from BA will be calling you tomorrow. BTW, I can't believe you didn't even ask to take my car for a quick spin! :)

Driven 10-20-2002 06:59 PM

Thanks for the feeback...I look forward to seeing more pix and considering this for my setup. Additional questions: In the initial picture of the three sub setup, the box color and texture seems to match the surrounding plasic nearly identically...is this just paint? Or some kind of vinyl overlay? Also: since this box comes as a back shell...do we need to be proficient at fiberglassing to create our own face depending on the sub setup we select? If so, do we fuse the face to the shell provided? And how? Hope these aren't ignorant questions...I have a friend that knows how to fiberglass and could help me...but wanted more immediate feedback if I am to consider buying. Thnks.

Thought of one more question: is the volume of the box extreemly critical? If we select a different sub setup ie. size and number of subs...how does that play into the deal?

PS. I really like this setup and wouldn't ask all these questions otherwise.

Nazar 10-20-2002 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Driven
Thanks for the feeback...I look forward to seeing more pix and considering this for my setup. Additional questions: In the initial picture of the three sub setup, the box color and texture seems to match the surrounding plasic nearly identically...is this just paint? Or some kind of vinyl overlay? Also: since this box comes as a back shell...do we need to be proficient at fiberglassing to create our own face depending on the sub setup we select? If so, do we fuse the face to the shell provided? And how? Hope these aren't ignorant questions...I have a friend that knows how to fiberglass and could help me...but wanted more immediate feedback if I am to consider buying. Thnks.

Thought of one more question: is the volume of the box extreemly critical? If we select a different sub setup ie. size and number of subs...how does that play into the deal?

PS. I really like this setup and wouldn't ask all these questions otherwise.

Thanx to Anyone2u for all the compliments, It was great meeting you as well, I wanted to take the car for a ride, But I did not want to ask you. Plus we were pressed for time. I apprechiate the offer.

Initial box we had built was finished with Hi-Quality semi textured vinyl. (Select Products). Only Halfthe box was vinyled since you wont see he rest. We also had made an additional oval shaped panel with Clear plexiglass etched with our logo on the Back side. I will try to find a picture for this as well. I can also provide the same vinyl we used to cover the box we would just charge accordingly. depending on the shape of the box Vinyling will be easy or a real pain. If it is a flat panel it is a real peace of cake.

Don't forget once the box is done it can be sent to a body shop and finished in the same color of the car. The shell that we provide is ready for primer and paint.

As far as building the face for the subs, This all depends on what type of subs used. For a pair of let's say 10W0 JL's all you would need is a flat panel across the face (this panel will have a slight bend to it hardly noticeable, because the box is flush with the contour of the tower) and glass it to the Enclosure (or Fuse it if you have access to fusing agents, We also use Marglass for applications like that)

But if you are using a much bigger subs, or if you just want the looks of a build out, You can make a trim like the previous pictures in the upper posts and use the rings that will be provided with enclosure. Yes you will need some kind of help fiberglassing the face and it needs to be thick enough to be as sturdy as our shell. As far as bonding them together you need either fiberglass, Fuse agent or marglass and reach from the subwoofer holes and fill them in (thick layers and press it in to fill the cracks. Once this stuff dries you are all set.

Yes I will be posting the unfinished box pictures tomorrow as soon as I get the pictures from the camera to the harddrive.

Someone asked me what it would cost to have a finished box, This would all depend on what type of subs will be used and how the box will be finished. with a face, build out, build in etc...

As far as the volume, this again depends on the subs, If the subs require a big box then you wouild have to do a build out, But if you chiose a sub that needs a moderate or/small enclosure you will be fine with the space provided wit the shell. Our goal was to stay with in underneath the Z's tower for this enclosure, And for those who wish to do a little bit more work like a build out, all the hard part of the work will have been done with our enclosure. I reccomend 2x10" or possibly 3x8" subwoofers in the enclosure without doing a build out. Due to Z being a hatchback you will have more then enough base for the application. And at the same time have a great looking custom box.

This enclosure would save an average person about 2-3 days of labor time and aggrevation on getting it right.
And save a skillfull (knowledgable in fiberglass) stereo shop about 2 days of shop time. Approximately.

I hope this answers some of th equestions, please don't hesitate to call me anytime at work 603-382-1801

Nazar

Nazar 10-20-2002 09:35 PM

Originally posted by nizl
Looks tight.

Did you really install 3 W7's in there?!?! :eek:

They were W6v2's
W7 would have been too big of a build out. We did consider 2 w7 but went for 3 10" w6v2s

very tight sounding box, Will play just about anything and play it well.

Nazar

kingkong 10-21-2002 03:45 AM

Nazar...
Will you be able to make a custom sealed enclosure that will fit into original sub void behind the driver's seat...
Interested in enclosure for 10' or 12' W7...
If so how much ?

Nazar 10-21-2002 06:01 AM

Originally posted by kingkong
Nazar...
Will you be able to make a custom sealed enclosure that will fit into original sub void behind the driver's seat...
Interested in enclosure for 10' or 12' W7...
If so how much ?

I peronally DO NOT reccomend doing a subwoofer enclosure behind the drivers seat. It can be done but, the best bet in there is to do a free air sub. Like the JL 10ib4. As long as you are not requiring massive amounts of base, However this will sound a lot better then the stock enclosure.

To make a fiherglass box in there just would not be feaseble for us, Well not at this time anyways. Most people are looking for more bass then what I can offer in that enclosure. When you weight the pros and cons of a free air box versus the cost of fiberglassing and enclosure in stock location, I would say again do a Free air sub in that opening and call it the day.

We looket in to doing 4 8" subwoofers in the stock location, after taking the rear apart we also entertained the idea of 4 10" subs But decided on the Amps going in those locations and subs underneath the tower bar.

Can it be done was the question, Yes is the answer. But do not recomend it.

Nazar

MSGarrett1 10-21-2002 11:03 AM

Quick question for Nazar: You have 3, JL 10W6 version 2's in this setup. My understanding is that these subs come as 4 ohm only. So, are you wiring these 3 subs in parallel achieving a total load of 1.3333 . . . ohms? If so, what amp are you going to use to power these monsters?

Nazar 10-21-2002 01:01 PM

Originally posted by MSGarrett1
Quick question for Nazar: You have 3, JL 10W6 version 2's in this setup. My understanding is that these subs come as 4 ohm only. So, are you wiring these 3 subs in parallel achieving a total load of 1.3333 . . . ohms? If so, what amp are you going to use to power these monsters?

Actualy they are dual 4 ohm, So we are running series in each sub which is 8 ohms and then Parallel all subs which is 2.3 ohms

We are running a 1000/1 behind the pass compartment.

Nazar

MSGarrett1 10-21-2002 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Nazar
Actualy they are dual 4 ohm, So we are running series in each sub which is 8 ohms and then Parallel all subs which is 2.3 ohms

We are running a 1000/1 behind the pass compartment.

Nazar

2.3 ohms or 2.6666666 ohms?

Nazar 10-21-2002 02:49 PM

Originally posted by MSGarrett1
2.3 ohms or 2.6666666 ohms?
I believe you may be right. 2.666

In our case we used a 1000/1 so It realy does not matter, subs are getting compined 1000Watts no matter what. As long as they are between. 1.5 to 4 ohms.

1000/1 Jl is also available if any one is interested.

MSGarrett1 10-22-2002 04:38 AM

Hey Nazar, did you construct an amp rack w/ cool neon lighting and stuff for this vehicle's setup? If so where did you mount the amp, and I'd love to see pictures.

Subw00er 11-11-2002 09:41 PM

Did you ever figure out the airspace in there? I need 1.25 cuft. I will be doing a single 10w7 under the rear bar. and was planning on a simple box with a faceplate that fit snug under the bar.

Can you make the box smaller so its 1.25 cuft? If so, how much for one prepped to be vinyled for a 10w7? :)

2000celica 11-12-2002 04:23 AM

fiberglass answers

yes, yes ,yes......we can make enclosures to fit the correct air space for a 10w7 and it should be about the same as the other price( 600+shipping). as far as the amp rack we did do neons and as soon as nazar comes back from vegas we will post some photos of that.

Subw00er 11-12-2002 05:58 AM

Wow, 600$ is kind of extreme for me. What would it cost for teh correct airspace for a 10w7, but unfinished? If you made it for a w7, would you make the funky ring theng on the outside, or is it deep enough to mount it in there with a flat face under the strut tower bar?

shagpa 01-11-2003 06:47 AM

Hey Nazar...

Do you still sell these custom boxes?? Shoot me an email if so...I'm interested!

Thanks