Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

To Rev or Not To Rev?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:29 PM
gianniz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Rev or Not To Rev?

So whats the advise?? Should I rev it or should I take it easy??
That is for my new car to wear it in... Sofar I am getting conflicting oppinion. Can you guys let me know the reasons as well..

cheers
Old 03-22-2004, 12:42 PM
harryw

You will always get conflicting advise! You will always get anectodal evidence to support both sides of the story. Most motors now days are "run in" at the factory anyway!

I have always revved my cars and bikes as soon as I get them. I was always told to drive/ride during run in as you intend to drive/ride for the duration.

The thing is to not go silly. What you dont want to do is bounce of the rev limiter.

The main thing is to get used to the particulars of the car and more specifically the performance of the car, especially compared to what you have had prior.

Also, if you do a search in the main engine forum you will see this has been debated to death!

As always

H
Old 03-22-2004, 01:52 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, this debate ranks right up there with the supercharger vs. turbo debate and like harryw said, it has been discussed to death. Personally, I kept my RPMs below 3500 for the first 1200 and limited highway driving to a minimum. My 2¢.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Z350Lover

dealer asks you try not to rev your engine is because they want to insure things are going well when you first get the car. If something goes wrong and you did rev your car, then they can really put the blame on you. I think this is just a "policy" thingy to save their butts. So you might as well try to follow that for the 1st 1500 to 2000 km or so before you WOT your car.

As I know, bmw can be able to know how much I over revved my m3 everytime when they checked the car, I am not too sure about the zed though, it might have a "black box" to keep this kind of record as well.

cheers,

richie
Old 03-22-2004, 03:48 PM
zuff

I drove to my dealer gave him my old car plus a cheque. Got in and burned rubber ever since. Redlined the car at least 10 times in the first day!

The car loves it, I love it, not much more i can say.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:28 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took it nice and easy during the first couple thousand k's.

If any harm was going to come from driving hard during this period, im sure I avioded it.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:44 PM
apsilon

My dealer told me no break in was required and just to go for it.

As the others have said there's always going to be two sides to this debate.

While I didn't do exactly that I did give it the occasional rev out gradually building up in frequency as the km built up. IMO don't thrash it for the first few thousand km but don't be afraid to give it a bit on occasion as well. I think it's more important to do that first 1000km oil and filter change on time than worry too much about how you're driving.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 PM
frosty

ZUFF - your mechanicals will be much more worn than if you "wore the parts gently together" - but maybe only subsequent owners will pay for your "indiscretions".

I run 9 vehicles, and I have 2 Commodures which have well in excess of 400,000k and are as tight as drums. The radiators and pipes etc have been replaced, the services done at the prescribed intervals, and so-on.

When an engine is virginal, high-spots, rough (microscopic) surfaces etc. need to wear to fit - if you get too violent too soon - especially with piston loads, things like bores, rings, etc must suffer in the long run thru excessive local heat generation for instance.

Same as racing/loading a cold motor.

Chances are that you will sell before the consequences of your exuberance become visible thru smokey exhaust etc., but things like lack of compression, smoothness and accuracy of gear selection, diff and gear slap and so on will become evident much sooner.

IMHO. (Whassat - the old fuggers using sin onyms?)

FROZZTY
Old 03-23-2004, 05:36 AM
zuff

MY opinion is that warming the car before you rev the clappers out of it is far more important than whether you have put 100kms on it.

You are right that i wouldn't keep a car beyond 5 years but every car i've had has been treated the same and was in top condition when passed onwards.

I'm just not sure the wear-in on these blocks are as bad as the old iron blocks. And in most cases new cars are pre run in.

In the end the car should be fun. For me fun is the aural and larteral Gs type!