Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Almost a Track Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:24 PM
scathing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in Alice, I suppose a straight-line setup car would be far more suitable to the prevailing environment. So, in terms of power to weight where you're living, your old Magna would slay most Z's here.

No offense to you personally - making a high powered turbomotor work in such high ambient heat is no mean feat. You design and test where you can, and so I'm sure the car was perfectly suited to the roads there.

But, you should always expect that if you're on a forum that enthuses about a specific vehicle that they'll have a go at anything else. I'm on a couple of 200SX / Silvia oriented forums, and I get the occasional bagging about owning an underpowered land barge.

I went up to NT a few years back, and it was kind of fun when I hit the SA/NT border and just buried the foot. I was in a heavy car with a small engine (and a full compliment of passengers and luggage) so I didn't even hit 200km/hr down the Stuart, but it was still pretty fun.

This may sound like sacrilege, but if I was living in Alice I'd rather get a HSV than a 350Z. Those cars eat up the miles far better than the Z, and aren't as sensitive to fuel quality. They're more spacious, and do straight-line stuff far better.

If you want more power, there are several companies that do supercharger and turbo kits for them so you can go FI if you want.

I find my Z runs rather hot (the air vents feel like they take air from the engine bay, its so hot), so I don't know how it'd like those high temperatures, whereas HSV actually tests cars out there to make sure they're reliable.