Notices
Australia/New Zealand Queensland, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, etc.

Sadnown 24/10/04 (NDSOC training day)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
DavidM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sadnown 24/10/04 (NDSOC training day)

Hi guys, not sure howm many of you remember, but NDSOC is having a training day at Sandonw this Sunday. I think few of you were interested in attending it. I will not be in Melbourne (so I will not be there), but it should be fun, and should give you a good start to track-days. The purpose of the day is not to get the quickest lap-time, but really just to learn more about the cars, and how to control them.

The price is $85, and you can also take passangers for $10. Here's more details, as well as how to register.

http://www.ndsoc.com.au/site/index.php

Anyone from here planning on going?

ps. It looks like you'll need all the usual stuff for CAMS sancioned event (ie. helmet, L2S+ license, extinguisher).
Old 10-12-2004, 09:48 PM
ZZZ-35

Yep, I'll be there twin turbo's spinning. Yun are you going, I heard you where, now that you've had a taste of action at the Calder Drags.

David
Old 10-12-2004, 11:15 PM
DavidM

Yep, I'll be there twin turbo's spinning.

Good stuff, enjoy the track, and if you get confident enough, please note the speeds you are reaging on the two straights. Easiest way is to ask you instructor to note it later in the day while you're taking them for a spin.

ps. Consider coming to Winton on the 14th of November as well as that is probably the safest (and most fun) track localy, and there will be no more than 50 cars.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:22 AM
ypwpat

no david sorry got a stupid and lot's of assignment due next week i wish i can come
Old 10-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Perth 350z

Ahhhh better than the mountain pass or the Great Ocean Rd LOL

Enjoy David.

Dammit, what is the hardest wait?? The wait you had for the installation of the TT kit, or the number of sleeps to Sunday to really give your baby a blast?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:17 AM
lionking

Hey,
Check your dates. I think you'll find tis Sunday is the 17th.

Either way I can't make it then OR on the Winton day...faa ar k!!!!

Just got a few last minute jobs.

Work bites....
Old 10-13-2004, 04:46 AM
DavidM

Check your dates. I think you'll find tis Sunday is the 17th.

Yep, you're right, it's on the 17th of October and not 24th as I stated in the 1st post.

Either way I can't make it then OR on the Winton day...faa ar k!!!!

Oh, come on ... you have a 1 month 'warning' for Winton day ... I'm sure you can move a few things, or do a job on Saturday before in Banella (ie. 3km from Winton) ;-)
Old 10-13-2004, 05:11 AM
lionking

Originally posted by DavidM

Oh, come on ... you have a 1 month 'warning' for Winton day ... I'm sure you can move a few things, or do a job on Saturday before in Banella (ie. 3km from Winton) ;-)
Yeah,
I'm sure if I ask the couple nicely they will move their wedding to the Saturday. Why didn't I think of that before???!!!!

I guess it's my own fault. I could have said no. I thought I would take one booking for one or other of the weekends ... then both couples booked within a few days and caught me off guard. What was Michael Douglas's quote? "Greed is good" Hmmmm..... not so sure. My job will always suck for weekend stuff. I guess it at least allows me to make the car payments.
Can't even go for a sticky on Sunday mornin' - got an early start. Would love to get out and check out the new TT!
Old 10-13-2004, 05:33 AM
DavidM

I'm sure if I ask the couple nicely they will move their wedding to the Saturday. Why didn't I think of that before???!!!!

Sounds reasonable to me ... just expain that youhave a track day the next day. After all, I can't think of anything better to be doing on a wedding day than fanging around Winton. I recon it should be an easy sell .... give it a go ;-)

ps. If that does not work then you can always hope that the couple does not make it to the altar and call the wedding off. Hey, have you tried hitting on the bride ... might help ;-)
Old 10-13-2004, 04:05 PM
lionking

Originally posted by DavidM

Sounds reasonable to me ... just expain that youhave a track day the next day. After all, I can't think of anything better to be doing on a wedding day than fanging around Winton. I recon it should be an easy sell .... give it a go ;-)

ps. If that does not work then you can always hope that the couple does not make it to the altar and call the wedding off. Hey, have you tried hitting on the bride ... might help ;-)
Hey maybe they could move the wedding to the race track - just like in the tele ad.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:21 PM
ZZZ-35

DavidM

How did you strap the bonnet/hood down for the track days.

Turbo Dave
Old 10-14-2004, 04:53 PM
DavidM

How did you strap the bonnet/hood down for the track days

hehe, 'bonnet strap' ... hot topic this year. CAMS have changed the rules this year that states that you do not need a bonnet strap anymore, but a lot of the clubs/scruteneers are not aware of this and will still require a bonnet-strap (and you can't really argue with them, but must conform). Here's the info:

"supplemental bonnet restraints are no longer required for ANY road reg vehicle built since Jan 1 1973 (previously front hindged bonnets were exempt). It is in the 2004 Manual (page 6-6), but doesn't seem to have had much publicity."

Anyway, my solution is really simple - a piece of nilon rope tied (and secured with sticky tape) through the bonnet latch and into one of the holes at the front side of the engine compartment (ie. the sub frame there). I tie it with the bonnet about 1 foot open and then shut it with everything being closed inside the bonnet. That's what I have been doing with the S2000 as well as 350Z.

Other option is to pick up a bonnet restraint belt (with a tightening clip) from any auto-part store, tie/clip it to the bonnet, close it with one end being closed between the bonnet and the nose of the car, and then pull the other end from/through the grill. Then clip it together and tighten it. For this make sure you put a clotch between the belt and the body-work of the car as it may scratch your paint.

Then finaly if you want to be really professional, then get a safy latch welded onto the bonnet and sub-frame and then just use that ... not sure if you want to go that far unless you plan to do this very often. Murray from Adelaide has this on his 350Z.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:12 PM
DavidM

Hey David,
How did you go on Sunday? And how did the TT hold up?

ps. How did you like Sandown?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:02 AM
ZZZ-35

I love the track, I used about 3/4 of a tankfull for aroud 26 laps or 4 sessions of 10mins each, the TT performed faultlessly all day, water temp stayed normal not even the slightless increase, no hot smells of anything getting to hot I just had a great day. I did manage to check my fastest top speed for the day (DavidM) 218km/h up the back straight and maybe faster on the main straight but I was to busy watching for the braking marker for turn one to glance at my speed but I believe it could have been quicker. This was an untimed event but I was circulating around the track at approx the same speed as the the GTR's and much faster than one of the RX7 Turbo's circulating, all in all I was pretty stoked. Am I happy with this setup, what do you think? sh#t YES.

David
Old 10-20-2004, 05:28 AM
DavidM

I love the track

Good stuff ... Sandown is my 2nd favourite (local) track. Are you going to come to Winton on the 14th November .... a lot more corners here?

I used about 3/4 of a tankfull for aroud 26 laps or 4 sessions of 10mins each

hehe, even without the TT I come back with close to 30L/100km fuel consumption from events like this :-)

I did manage to check my fastest top speed for the day (DavidM) 218km/h up the back straight

218kph is very quick there .... most I've seen on from my Zed there is 209kph, and I know the track pretty well and hence am getting most of the perfromance out of the car. I'm sure that you could see 225kph if/when you know how deep and fast you can go into the following turn.

To put this speed into perspective, S2000 was seeing around 195kph on the speedo, while STIs see 200kph (or just under). MX5s (non turbo) see arround 170kph. The really quick HSVs are seeing around 200kph there and they are very worked ... like bored out to 6.2L for straters.

maybe faster on the main straight but I was to busy watching for the braking marker for turn one to glance at my speed but I believe it could have been quicker.

The front-straight is usually a tad slower than the back-straight because it's shorter. I find that my speed here is couple km/h lower than at the back.

Though, front straight is easier to find your braking spot as the following corner is simpler (and easier) ... so it's not inconceivable that you were quicker there concidering that was your 1st time there.

It's also harder to look at the speedo here as you need to brake a lot harder here.

Am I happy with this setup, what do you think? sh#t YES.

Never doubted it ;-) Though, it really takes a track to show you what the car is trully capable of.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:44 PM
ZZZ-35

218kph is very quick there .... most I've seen on from my Zed there is 209kph, and I know the track pretty well and hence am getting most of the perfromance out of the car. I'm sure that you could see 225kph if/when you know how deep and fast you can go into the following turn.

I know, it can be pretty un-nerving, 209kph is dam good my best time was done in my last session, where my gear selection was better plus being a new TT setup (taking it gently at first) better speeds and times will come I'm sure.

David
Old 10-20-2004, 11:13 PM
DavidM

where my gear selection was better

A lot of people do not down-change for the turn off the back straight (ie. leave it in 5th) as it helps you to keep the car steady and concentrate on the turn.

The really quick HSVs are seeing around 200kph there and they are very worked ... like bored out to 6.2L for straters.

oops, typo - that was supposed to say 220kph and not 200kph.