Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track pads database?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM
SteveA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .02.

I did not have a good experience with Endless CC-X pads for track use, and would not recommend them for serious tracking. They did not have the heat capability for my particular use and melted deposits all over my rotors after only three 20 minute sessions which required machining the stock rears and running cold race pads on the front stoptechs for an extended period to finally get rid of the vibrations.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/334848-track-suitability-of-endless-cc-x.html

For high performance road driving these pads are great. For track I have gone back to PFC01s with none of the problems mentioned in the above thread.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:14 AM
laze1

I order my pads directly from Carbotech...

Note: They give discounts for various clubs..make sure to ASK FOR THE 10% DISCOUNT

Originally Posted by OPTIMO
I am planning to try this setup out at Summit Point in March with my newly acquired 06 Track model. Where are you guys ordering these pads? I'd prefer to order them up with some fresh rotors (brembo or frozen?). Swap the day before the event, 2 days at the track, swap them when I get home. Maybe I'll swap at the track, but haven't done a change yet in this car and not sure how quick I am.

I digress - best place to order a package? Prefer some proper brake fluid in the package as well.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
OPTIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laze1
I order my pads directly from Carbotech...

Note: They give discounts for various clubs..make sure to ASK FOR THE 10% DISCOUNT
Damnit. Wish I would have known this. I'll keep that in mind for the next order. VIR next month!
Attached Thumbnails Track pads database?-img_1352.jpg  
Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 AM
dnguyent

Default Raybestos ST-43 front Ferodo DS2500 rear

Manufacturer: Raybestos
Compound: ST-43 (front), Ferodo DS2500 (rear)
Operating temperature range: 1350F
Coefficient of friction: ~0.65 for ST-43 and and 0.50 for DS2500
Brake system: Stoptech 355mm BBK in front, OE Brembo rear
Application: Road Course HPDE (Thunderhill, Infineon, Laguna Seca, Reno)
Price paid: USD385 (285/100) including taxes and shipping
Durability: Fronts have lasted 3 Laguna Seca days, 3 Thunderhill days, and two Infineon days, and there is still enough pad for 2 to 3 more days. Rears are wearing a little slower, so I'm anticipating getting the rears to last another 4 days. Rotors friendliness: Both compounds appear to be friendly on rotors as long as I don't drive on the street with them cold.

General impressions:
I am very happy with these front pads. I think I'll be sticking with these for a long time. The only reason why I'd consider something else is if the alternative is on discount. The ST-41 had too much bite for my set-up. I think I finally found my combo. I only went with Ferodo rears because they are relatively inexpensive. I think I could use a tad more friction in the rear, but I'm much happier with this balance than one where there too much rear bias.

Last edited by dnguyent; 04-20-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 AM
GWord256

Default Carbotech XP10

Manufacturer: Carbotech
Compound: XP10
Operating temperature range: "Fade resistance is in excess of 1650°F"
Coefficient of friction: unknown
Brake system: OEM non-Brembo
Application: Track Days
Price paid: <300$
Durability: More than 3/4 remain after 2 hours (total) track time
Rotors friendliness: No general Impressions

General impressions: I was able to go a whole day without changing my brakes. I started to get fade after a couple laps. I will get a spare set and see if Carbotech recommends a higher temperature compound.

Defiantly not for general driving use. After braking in they will squeal.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
shinkuu

I will be trying a ST-43 front and Hawk Blue rear set up for my next track day. I'm very impressed with the ST-41 i had and highly recommend it for our heavy cars.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 PM
BeerViper

Default Project Mu HC+ (plus)

I can't find any threads where people have tried Project Mu HC+ (plus) pads. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking for something that will survive 4 - 6 20-minute track sessions but also be usable on the street...

The specs from the Project Mu website are:

Material: Carbon Metal (Asbestos Free)
Applicable rotor temperature: 0~800°C
Friction coefficient: 0.40~0.60μ

They run $174 F, $165 R for OEM Brembo's.

Last edited by BeerViper; 04-28-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:05 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the specs listed they won't survive the track sessions (assuming the 800 refers to the temp in Farenheight).
Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 AM
BeerViper

Can you not see the " °C " after the 800? They are rated to 800 degrees Celcius with a very respectable friction coefficient. My question would be if these would be usable on the street and if anyone has any experience with them.

Last edited by BeerViper; 04-28-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BeerViper
Can you not see the " ℃ " after the 800? They are rated to 800 degrees Celcius with a very respectable friction coefficient. My question would be if these would be usable on the street and if anyone has any experience with them.
No, I only see a blank square
Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you not see the " ℃ " after the 800?
Yes I can see the little square, but the normal symbol for Celcius is "C" not a little sqaure.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
BeerViper

hmm, it must be a font I have installed on my computer ... each of the last 2 quotes show the celcius symbol ... my bad assuming that showed up on your computers...

Now back to the topic at hand ... 0 - 800 celcius ... anyone ever use these pads??

I think these pads are also known as the HC Titan Kai as seen on the projectnissan.com page as they have the same specs
Old 04-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Slow*Jim

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Manufacturer: EBC
Compound: Yellow
Operating temperature range: 0-900 degrees F
Coefficient of friction: .5 nominal
Brake system: OEM Brembo
Application: Open track 15-20min
Price paid: $95 shipped(front only)
Durability: Very little wear after 2 track days and 4k road use
Rotors friendliness: Great until I went out for over 20min and started over using the brakes because the tires were overheated.

General Impression: The only thing I have to compare them to is stock. No fade(140mph at end of Limerock straight), not a grabby pad(want to stop more push harder), works on the street( have only had them as low as 50 degrees outside temp) and of course the thing that no one reading this cares about less dust than stock. Side note they come with shims already in place and these pads are noise free as I followed the brake in directions as they also come with a coating to help brake in.

I can't say I've had the same impression of these pads on my 04 non-brembo. After 1 track weekend (11 20 minute sessions), they are about half worn. I did use them in 30-degree weather and they stopped just fine. They have great initial bite and are awesome on both the street and track, other than the extremely high dust. It wasn't bad at first, but now I have to clean off my wheels with wheel cleaner every 4 or 5 days (not exaggerating at all). Overall not a bad pad for the money, although I wouldn't use them on a race car. I was able to get them to fade a few times.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Chiefgroover

I did about 100 laps of my local track yesterday. Used Endless CCR and RBF600 fluid. I only managed fade once @ the end of a 20 min session, after that they stayed good all day, top speed on this small track is about 120mph in my Z.
Most of the bends are right handers, very weird result though, my front LHS Brembo caliper has turned a "tangerine" colour lol, very dark compared to the rest, guess the heat got too much for it and re baked the paint?
Attached Thumbnails Track pads database?-pdc_1051.jpg  
Old 04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Morris

Originally Posted by Chiefgroover
I did about 100 laps of my local track yesterday. Used Endless CCR and RBF600 fluid. I only managed fade once @ the end of a 20 min session, after that they stayed good all day, top speed on this small track is about 120mph in my Z.
Most of the bends are right handers, very weird result though, my front LHS Brembo caliper has turned a "tangerine" colour lol, very dark compared to the rest, guess the heat got too much for it and re baked the paint?
Having the Brembo caliper change colors is not strange at all. Every Z with Brembos that I have seen that have been tracked reasonably hard have had the front calipers change colors. And, one of my fronts is darker than the other.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:13 AM
cuda510

I noticed noone has posted any comments on the NISMO R-tune pad, how come? Is it not a suitable track pad?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM
BeerViper

NISMO R-tune are only rated to 600/700 degrees F, that is not a very aggressive pad for track use. Pad temperatures can easily reach 1200 - 1400 degrees F on a track without too many straights.

I have not used these pads personally so this is just conjecture.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
cuda510

Originally Posted by BeerViper
NISMO R-tune are only rated to 600/700 degrees F, that is not a very aggressive pad for track use. Pad temperatures can easily reach 1200 - 1400 degrees F on a track without too many straights.

I have not used these pads personally so this is just conjecture.
interesting, thank you. where do you get this info?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
BeerViper

Originally Posted by cuda510
interesting, thank you. where do you get this info?
You can see the specs on the pads most anywhere you can buy them, like at mynismo.com

I have been researching the Project Mu HC+ since I haven't found anyone on my350z nor g35driver that has tried them ... I found some articles from DBA rotors. The DBA 4000 - 5000 rotors have 3 thermo-graphic paint strips that will change color when a certain temperature is met. Those temps being 458C, 550C, and 630C (equivalent to 856F, 1022F, and 1166F respectively). Typically a sustained rotor operating temperature will be anywhere from 150C - 300C less than the pad temperature at a given braking occurance. This means your pad temperature could be 900F - 1400F or higher.

With the r-tune only rated to 700F it doesn't even meet the lowest temperature criteria for the DBA rotors and therefore would not be very good for track conditions unless it is a very short track with very short straights.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
n1cK!
Infiltrator!

Originally Posted by kwadell
Manufacturer: HAWK
Compound: DTC-70
Operating temperature range: 500-1600 deg F
Coefficient of friction: ? (very high)
Brake system: StopTech ST-40 front, ST-22 rear (HT-10)
Application: TRACK
Price paid: ~ $250
Durability: Seems reasonable - 9 to 12 track days
Rotors friendliness: No issues so far

General impressions:
I called STOPTECH and talked through the tracks I use and they recommended the DTC-70 for the front and the HT-10 for the rear. The advertised description is pretty accurate. Very high initial bite but very controllable with excellent modulation at the limit. Imagine an egg shell between your foot and the brake and that's how precise you need to be. I think it helps you become a smooth driver. Absolutely love these pads on the track. Massive brake dust, noise on the track is fine. Brake dust on the inside of the rims is really tough to get off. Drive these pads on the street and they make tons of noise. I've been trying to find something cheaper but I don't know if I could ever back off on the performance these pads deliver. Wear wise, I've been getting about 2 all day sessions plus 8 X 20 minutes sessions within HPDE. There's still life in them but the wear is enough that you don't want to start an all day session with that little pad left. The rotors still appear to be hanging in there with no issues. I'm on my 4th set of pads and rotors are still fine. With the StopTech BBK I've never had a fade issue.
i'm running the same fronts with stoptech aero-rotors. i have used them for 3 track days. i bought my set of pads and rotors used. kwadell's description is very accurate. however, i have noticed more wear than he has, especially on my rotors. your rotors will definitely hate you if you drive this setup on the street.

Quick Reply: Track pads database?