MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Autocross/Road (https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road-305/)
-   -   Building a competitive 350Z road race car on a budget. (https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/284671-building-a-competitive-350z-road-race-car-on-a-budget.html)

Biggie 07-06-2007 10:00 AM

Building a competitive 350Z road race car on a budget.

I am currently racing a SR20DET powered 240SX in a new race class and a friend of mine wants to build and race a 350Z to compete with me. Here are the Super Tuner Car rules.

What would it take and what would a rough budget be on a 350Z road race project? The STC uses a Venturi inlet restrictor a lot like the ones currently used in the JGTC/Super GT. We were thinking of using the 36mm restrictor that is good for around 300 HP at the crank. We can run a bigger restrictor but want to keep costs and weight down and feel that 300 HP should be adequate.

Thanks for your input...

merlot350Z 07-06-2007 12:15 PM

First of all think about making your car handle. Take a look at the SCCA T-2 rules and what is allowed for the 350Z. With 18" wheels and the DOT tires required the handling package of springs, sway bars, etc, listed will give you a well balanced car. Shocks are very dependent on your pocket book in that you can buy some very good Koni that were specially designed by TC Kline or go with the top of the line 3 way adjustable JRZ's that will set you back about $6k a set. Unless you have a lot of time for testing and the experience to tune in the shocks I would suggest calling TC. We used them for a year and they will do a very adequate job and TC stands behind his product. BTW you cant get this shock from Koni although its made by them. I dont know all the rules that you are going to run in at Miller but consider building the car to SCCA specifications so its sellable when youre ready to pass it on to someone else. As to budget.........between $15k to $28k. When you get ready for wheels, contact me for some lightweight Enkei 18".

Biggie 07-06-2007 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by merlot350Z
When you get ready for wheels, contact me for some lightweight Enkei 18".

PM Sent!

iamdigital 07-06-2007 03:27 PM

Spend on suspension and wheels. should be able to build up suspension for under $6K, there is a set of used Koni's on here for 2500!. anything to get the weight on these heavy beasts down too. power is pretty good stock for SCCA just need to shed about 200+ pounds... which is very doable

PDX_Racer 07-06-2007 07:44 PM

There's a T2 350Z for sale in Arizona (already prepped).

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/248880.aspx

I wish I had the money :(

ULLLOSE 07-06-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
There's a T2 350Z for sale in Arizona (already prepped).

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/248880.aspx

I wish I had the money :(

That is Socal... Palm Springs area.

LanceKA-T 07-06-2007 09:28 PM

For a budget I would say
Stance coilovers
Nismo 1.5-way diff
3.9 gears
High temp pads
Koyo and oil cooler
275/40 A048

believe me, it will be a very fun car

PDX_Racer 07-06-2007 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ULLLOSE
That is Socal... Palm Springs area.

Now why did I think that I read "Arizona." I know where Palm Desert is... :icon11:

l30thelion 07-09-2007 07:19 PM

First of all think about making your car handle. Take a look at the SCCA T-2 rules and what is allowed for the 350Z. With 18" wheels and the DOT tires required the handling package of springs, sway bars, etc, listed will give you a well balanced car. Shocks are very dependent on your pocket book in that you can buy some very good Koni that were specially designed by TC Kline or go with the top of the line 3 way adjustable JRZ's that will set you back about $6k a set. Unless you have a lot of time for testing and the experience to tune in the shocks I would suggest calling TC. We used them for a year and they will do a very adequate job and TC stands behind his product. BTW you cant get this shock from Koni although its made by them. I dont know all the rules that you are going to run in at Miller but consider building the car to SCCA specifications so its sellable when youre ready to pass it on to someone else. As to budget.........between $15k to $28k. When you get ready for wheels, contact me for some lightweight Enkei 18".

Budget-wise is it possible to start off by doing the bare minimum required to race
and slowly build up? Being "competitive" from the get go is not necessary for me.
I just want to get out there and start learning and build up slowly much the same way I did
with autox.

For you all who have raced, is it possible to run the car in "HPDE Trim":

Kumho Ecsta MX Tires (245/45/17 all around)
Porterfield R4 Brake Pads
Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid
Stop-Tech Steel Braided Brake Lines
Koni Yellows
Sway Bars
Fresh Fluids (Transmission, Engine Oil, Differential)

Plus Minimum safey requirements

Roll Cage
Fire Extinguisher
Racing Seat + Harness

while doing the necessary driver's schools and first couple of regional races (first 3 months)?

This way I could start off w/ what I would hope is a smaller budget...is this just plain wrong?

Thanks, I would appreciate your perspective.

PDX_Racer 07-09-2007 08:35 PM

Spend the money on safety first. You don't do too much racing from a hospital bed.

betamotorsports 07-10-2007 06:56 AM

For you all who have raced, is it possible to run the car in "HPDE Trim":
Yes. Add the following:

Upgrade the brake pads to a full race pad (Hawk Blues are a good race pad for the price).
Add brake cooling ducts to the front brakes.
Strip the interior.

Plus Minimum safey requirements
Add the following:

Window net.
Outside and inside kill switch.
Halo race seat or right side head net.
Tow hooks front and rear.
HANS device.

l30thelion 07-10-2007 10:54 AM

Thank you very much for you suggestions...

1. Where can I order the brake cooling ducts from?

2. What is a reasonable price for a proper roll cage for the 350Z in SCCA T-2?
(I live in South Florida, can anyone recommend a shop that builds cages?)

3. Is stripping the car legal for SCCA T-2?

Here are some numbers, are these reasonable products:

Sparco Circuit Racing Seat $799.00(http://www.saferacer.com/spcirase.html)
Hans Extra Device $865
G-Force Window Net Mounting Kit $19.99 (http://www.saferacer.com/ganriwinet.html)
G-Force Angle Ribbon Window Net $16.99 (http://www.saferacer.com/gwinetmokit.html)

merlot350Z 07-10-2007 12:01 PM

Call Nissan competition department for the brake cooling ducts. They are a little work to install, 888.833.3225. A good cage will cost you between $2800 to $3500 depending on how good the installer thinks his work is worth. We used a guy in Ohio www.rollcageguy.com who is excellent and does this full time. I know of 3 Z race cars that hes done, but probably more.

If you are eventually aiming toward racing in SCCA you need to have the roll cage legal so go to www.scca.com and click club racing, look for
general competition rules" and look up roll cage. Take copies to whoever you use to make the cage. You cant strip the car if you are going to run T-2 SCCA rules, carpet and most of the interior has to stay in the car. I know you arent building a GT-2 or GT-3 car as those are tube frames and no one starts out with a standard car. For T-2 specs look at www.scca.com/_file/touring.pdf Note that there is a list of things you can put on the car for handling in the far right side column. Also not that you can use 9" x 18 fronts and 10" x 18" rears. Any further questions contact me at merlot350Z@yahoo.com We run a T-2 Z and have been moderatly sucessful. New track record two weeks ago at Roebling Road. Bob Hines

tmak26b 07-10-2007 06:54 PM

My question is how are you going to keep up with Kuhmo MX?

Biggie 07-11-2007 08:03 AM

If you are eventually aiming toward racing in SCCA you need to have the roll cage legal so go to www.scca.com and click club racing, look for general competition rules" and look up roll cage.

I'm not a big fan of the SCCA, but NASA's specs are just about the same. The class I'm building the car for will be A LOT more fun than T2. ;)

MoodDude 07-11-2007 08:34 AM

Many people ignore or shortcut some items that will not only make their car safer, but faster.
Make sure you spend your time and money finding the perfect race seat and harness for you. If you are secure and comfortable in your driving seat, than you will be faster! Also, look at your steering wheel position and pedals, if all the driver controls allow for easy inputs, you also will be faster. Don't let anyone tell you what to get, you need to find the components that fit you, not someone else. Taking the time and money to do this properly will pay greater dividends than buying expensive coilovers.

SinCity350Z 07-13-2007 08:56 AM

My first suggestion to building a race 350Z on a budget is to get rid of the word "budget" :D.

Biggie 07-13-2007 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
My first suggestion to building a race 350Z on a budget is to get rid of the word "budget" :D.

One could be competitive for under $35K, how much under is the question at hand.

betamotorsports 07-13-2007 12:59 PM

A beginner driver will not be competitive no matter what the budget. A profession level driver can be competitive with a low budget.

Talent + Experience > Money * Ego

paranormal 07-13-2007 07:10 PM

biggie.. get a 240

ps.. this is jimmy the white twin turbo g35