Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

My VIR Experience with Car Guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My VIR Experience with Car Guys

Well, I'm back from VIR and had a blast!

My car for anybody that doesn't know me is a 2004 base model 350Z with only Hawk HP+ pads, 275 width sticky tires, and a Stillen exhaust.

Cliffs Notes: My fastest lap time was a 2:27!!!! Full factory suspension, only power mod is a catback exhaust for a whopping 2-5hp or so. Factory NON BREMBO BRAKES!!!! I used Hawk HP+ pads. And my 275/35/18 Kumho Ecsta XS tires. Absolutely nothing else modified on the car. See below for the average track times.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/index...ical_Lap_Times

I was faster than every Lotus in my run group (the only two were in my run group, 1 was an Exige S and the other was a last generation Exige something or other), most Corvettes, most Porsche's, every WRX/STi/Evo, every FWD car, all but 1 Mustang (on slicks with a big brake kit).

Cars that were faster than me: Z06, Corvette, Turbo Toyota Corolla AE86, heavily modified 12:1 compression 80's(I think) Celica, my friends Mustang with slicks and race pads on 13 inch brakes, modified (huge turbo) Porsche 944. I think that's it.

The bad: I wore out my rear brake pads down to the backing plate. I didn't realize my increased pace would wear out my pads faster than ever! So I didn't check. I'm hearing a popping noise from the front occassionally so I think a ball joint may be on it's last legs. I overheated my front pads once. That is WAY better than after every 4-5 laps like before. So my brand new rotors are either disipating heat better or I'm easier on my brakes by braking later than I used to.

The good: 2:27 baby!!!! I'm braking later than ever, trail braking more, my heal/toe is excellent now, and I'm only 10-15 seconds off of race car pace with a near factory 350Z!!!! Even though some of the cars were faster than me I DID catch up to many of them in the corners! But, they pulled away on the straights.

I'm pretty sure I'm nearly to the point that I need suspension upgrades to go faster. Absolutely need brake upgrades. More power would be nice, but my biggest gains will probably be in brakes and suspension.

Some pics are below.

I'm faster than this Lotus Exige S.

This is the big turbo 944 that walked away from me on the straights.

Mustang FR500C. Full out custom race car from Ford! Not in my run group.

The other Exige.

This is my buddy's fast AE86. Turbo, cage, 13 inch wheels and RA-1 tires, stripped, gutted, it's a race car and trailered to the track. Looks very sinister.

My buddy's modified 12:1 compression Celica.

Some rocks stuck to my tires. Pretty big couple on there! Sticky tires!

This is the Porsche 911 that couldn't get away from me. He was faster on the uphill S's and the straight aways, but I reeled him in quick in the braking zone and corners.

This is my buddy's Mustang with slicks, race pads, and the Cobra big brake kit.

I'm pretty new to Photobucket, but I think this link will take you to the rest of the pics.

http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/r...t%2011%202008/

I love going to the track! Best fun you can have with clothes on!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM
kramerbuccs24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet pics! Looks like you had a great time, too.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 AM
Stack

Good for you Beau ... Now go upgrade those brakes!

One of our drivers at CMP this past weekend did the same thing with his non-brembos and ended up off track and now in need of a new rear bumper because his backing plate got so low, and the piston extended so much that he lost brake fluid. (At least that's our preliminary theory.)

The backing plate was actually welded to the brake piston, and when he pitted, the fluid actually caught on fire (thankfully there was a fire bottle near by.)

You're well on your way to being HPDE champion!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Prelude_Guy

Nice! Car Guys puts on a good event. I've participated in one. A little too expensive for me but a good event other than that.

I've been to VIR once. What an AMAZING track! I want to go again either before the end of this year or early next year.

Originally Posted by Beau

I'm pretty sure I'm nearly to the point that I need suspension upgrades to go faster. Absolutely need brake upgrades. More power would be nice, but my biggest gains will probably be in brakes and suspension.
How long have you been tracking? Are you looking to "go" faster" or "be" faster? Too many people think they have to immediately start modding their cars to "be" faster. Modding your car MIGHT make you "go" faster, but not necessairly make you a faster driver. There's a lot to learn while the car is stock. Too many people think they have to start modding their cars. A 350Z with upgraded brake pads and nice performance tires should keep someone busy for a while to learn. Just my opinion.

Nice times!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Stack

BTw... the paddock looks pretty empty... did Ayran have a had time filling the event?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by Stack
Good for you Beau ... Now go upgrade those brakes!
Yep, I agree! My theory on brakes is that they are a safety mod, rather than a go fast mod. Upgrade your brakes not so you can shave a second or two off your lap times (although they might do that), but rather that they give you peace of mind to continue doing hot lap after hot lap and never having to worry about brake fade, or worse, catastrophic loss. My first mod that I did specifically for the track (and really only track specific mod, other than tires) was a good big brake kit. You don't have to go that far, but pads alone won't do it, either, in my opinion.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Yep, I agree! My theory on brakes is that they are a safety mod, rather than a go fast mod. Upgrade your brakes not so you can shave a second or two off your lap times (although they might do that), but rather that they give you peace of mind to continue doing hot lap after hot lap and never having to worry about brake fade, or worse, catastrophic loss. My first mod that I did specifically for the track (and really only track specific mod, other than tires) was a good big brake kit. You don't have to go that far, but pads alone won't do it, either, in my opinion.
I should point out too, that probably a bigger issue with the (rear) brakes is the VDC and the yaw control. I'm told you can disable only the yaw sensor? And that this will keep the ABS enabled, but prevent the system from using the rear brakes to control a slide (which you will want a little of on track.)

Every non-brembo Z we've had at our events has had rear brake issues, some worse than others, but always ending in a lost session or more (and this weekend, a rear bumper cover.)

Last edited by Stack; 10-13-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I am not a track expert, by any stretch of the imagination, so take my opinion with some salt, but I turn off my VDC in my G simply by pushing the button that turns it off. I have never noticed any interference from it while on the track (assuming I remember to turn it off, that is!) and I can easily get the tail to stick out, and control it with the brakes.

Additionally, I measure my rotor and caliper temp after each session, and the numbers seem to be correct. I don't have my log book in front of me, but my rear brake temps are consistently 100-150 degrees cooler than my front, and I go through rear brake pads at about 1/2 to 2/3rds the rate of the front brake pads. Considering that my G has a full interior, along with about 300 extra lbs of sound equipment and sound deadening (3900lb declared weight with driver!!!) , I think my brakes are doing great, especially with no brake fade problems once I put the BBK in.

Edit: To the OP, sorry for intruding in your track day thread, I'll stop here.

Last edited by Dave 90TT; 10-13-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
I am not a track expert, by any stretch of the imagination, so take my opinion with some salt, but I turn off my VDC in my G simply by pushing the button that turns it off. I have never noticed any interference from it while on the track (assuming I remember to turn it off, that is!) and I can easily get the tail to stick out, and control it with the brakes.
and I'm not a G/350z expert either... just going by what I'm told by those who I consider experts from experience. The 350z's different models have different options for turning aides on/off. My understanding as it was told to me, was that on some models simply turning the VDC off does not turn off the yaw controls. It sounds like it does on yours though.

And sorry about the threadjack!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good stuff Beau!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 AM
jmark

Originally Posted by Stack
and I'm not a G/350z expert either... just going by what I'm told by those who I consider experts from experience. The 350z's different models have different options for turning aides on/off. My understanding as it was told to me, was that on some models simply turning the VDC off does not turn off the yaw controls. It sounds like it does on yours though.

And sorry about the threadjack!
Interesting tidbit is the Nismo 350Z only comes with TCS no VDC........
Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 AM
OPTIMO

Just out of curiosity, what run group did you run in?

Great pics and VIR is great. Good to know Car Guys runs a nice event as I was looking at them for an event earlier in the year.

Not sure if you had VDC still enabled, but that will go through some rear pads as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Beau

I have a base model so I don't have to worry about any of those electronics getting in the way. I've heard many stories of the VDC interferring and CAUSING accidents, so I'm quite happy with my base model.

I ran in the yellow group for the first time this weekend. This is my 4th weekend, 7th and 8th days total. I started track driving on skinny Nexen N3000 225/45/17's and HP+ pads. So I HAD to take the perfect line to maintain momentum and not cook my tires. I learned a lot from having that handicap. My first 2 weekends were on the Nexen's, my 3rd on Kumho MX's, and this time I upgraded to 275/35/18 Kumho XS's. 180 treadwear vs. 220 treadwear and nearly 2 inches wider per corner. No other changes. I'm going fast enough now that if I screw up a corner I have totally blown it. It's just like on my Nexen's only the pace is a lot faster. Basically if I don't do a corner fluidly then there is no chance of recovering by turning, braking, or gasing it. I just try to scrub off as much speed as possible and maintain my line as best I can. I still haven't had an off track excursion thankfully. I think I've learned how to "be" fast so far. Now I want to "go" faster.

Aryan hasn't had a full event in a long time as far as I know. I was too broke for most of this year to go so I've missed a lot of events. There were 33 people at this event and I believe 8-10 were workers...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Congratulations on another successfull track day. Your post is dripping with enthusiasm, which is terrific. Keep up the good work and improvement. Car looks sharp too.

A quick threadjack clarification...yes the VDC can still kick around a bit....even with the VDC disabled via the button on the lower dashboard. We pull the plug on the yaw sensor (located under the center console in front of the e-brake). If you have a TCS car, or a base model car, you wont have a YAW sensor.

You have to push pretty hard, in order to feel the effects of the yaw sensor. And it's strange, but on some cars I have driven, I dont feel the kick in...or steering wheel pulsation in the corners (not on the brakes)....but in other cars is very noticable...like WTF is going on with the car.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 10-13-2008 at 05:24 PM.