Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Question - Reliability of OEM Brake pads and rotors for track days

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - Reliability of OEM Brake pads and rotors for track days

I'm interested in running track days here within the next couple of months. I'm looking into parts that should be upgraded or monitored to prepare for this.

I was searching to see if it would be alright to use OEM rotors and pads (non-brembo) for a full track day. From my search results, some people completely burn through pads, to the point where they needed to stop halfway through the day to get them replaced.

From my readings, it seems that if you give your brakes enough time to cool by keeping tcs off and doing quick stops (instead of prolonged ones) then the OEMs are fine.

Any other opinions/suggestions?

Last edited by solidfish; 07-24-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:56 PM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Keeping TCS OFF?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:03 PM
ldstang50

Depends on the track and your driving style and tires. A grippier tire will have you burning through pads faster because they can squeeze tighter without locking up.
I run stock Brembos and I'm very agreesive on the brakes. My first track day, Pocono North, I was cooking my pads after 5laps and there was 1 real heavy braking zone and 1 moderate. I also run Hoosier R comps.
HP+ aren't a bad first investment for track days, along with a higher temp fluid.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
burntZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Nissan/350Z.htm

get the axxis ultimate - reasonable price for highest temp pads that [i found] won't destroy the stock rotors as more aggressive (and expensive) pads tend to do

you'll still have to watch out for over heating your brakes but you'll get many more laps then the oem pads

pre brake upgrade i'd go thru a set of rear axxis pads in 1 day at sebring

Have fun!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:03 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

If it's your 1st track day, yeah maybe you will be okay with the OEM setup.

I run PowerSlot rotors front and rear with Motul fluid, stainless steel lines and Performance Friction Race pads. Huge difference than the OEM setup.

"From my readings, it seems that if you give your brakes enough time to cool by keeping tcs off and doing quick stops (instead of prolonged ones) then the OEMs are fine."

This is true for any brake setup you have.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 PM
M1r4cL3

My .2 is don't do it...

I made the noob mistake of trying it when I did my first track day and regretted it. I used a brand new set of Hawk HPS pads (not quite OEM, but close). By the end of the day (six 20min sessions) i completely disintegrated the rear pads and had burn spots/scoring in 3 of my OEM rotors.

On top of that, my brake, slip, and VDC lights were on. Turns out when u go thru that much pad your brake fluid gets to low and you dashboard lights come on. I didn't know that at the time.

I would go as far as saying street pads are borderline dangerous to have on a track because they just can't take the heat. By the end of the day I was literally standing on the brake pedal 2/3 of the way down the straights in order to slow myself enough to take turns. SCARY stuff!

* EDIT:
I've since been using EBC Yellow Stuff Pads and I'm quite pleased with them. They are perfectly streetable (no squeal, low dust) and they hold up well at the track. You will find that these pads are mostly fade free and can handle session after session. They wear well and they don't eat rotors. Please don't read that I'm saying these are the BEST pads you can put on the track because they are more of a hybrid pad then a full-on track pad. But If you track on street tires (like I am) then these pads will work great.

Last edited by M1r4cL3; 07-24-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some school of thoughts will say that using the OEM pads will teach you to manage your car and its brake system. A skill necessary to your safe progression on a race track.

Agreed, the OEM pads aren't track pads by any standards. But they will last a while and get the job done.

A beginner driver will easily cook any race pads.

I'd say make sure your pads have plenty of meat left in them (or just get new ones) and keep an eye on them. Pay particular attention to the rear one as they work over time helping the LSD (ABLS on Enthusiast and up)
Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Morris

I would not try it. I have seen two people try it and get theh brakes so hot they caught fire. I am not saying it can't be done, by why risk it.

Interesting enough, both times it was the driver rear that caught fire.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:02 PM
M1r4cL3

Originally Posted by Kolia
Some school of thoughts will say that using the OEM pads will teach you to manage your car and its brake system. A skill necessary to your safe progression on a race track.
I guess I can see some value in learning to judge breaking distances on a pad that is fading into nothingness. Beyond that, I'd rather my brakes just function as I feel they should rather than trying to manage substandard equipment. One could learn to manage the heat build-up in OEM pads but with perfectly good hybrid street/track pads available noobs can learn that skill gradually as they outgrow hybrid pads. I personally would rather not see noobs being thrown in the deep end on their first days. I'd rather err on the side of too much brakes than not enough. Just my opinion.

Agreed, the OEM pads aren't track pads by any standards. But they will last a while and get the job done.
My personal experience is different (posted above). Perhaps others have had better experiences w/ street or OEM pads. I found them to be miserable and I competely disentegrated a brand new rear pad.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:07 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

You will start to realize the OEM setup is junk when you get more seat time and start braking deeper in the brake zone.

Or, when you hit that pucker factor that you don't know if your going to stop or not...lol
Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no such thing as "too much brake".

A noob will easily toast a new set of R brake pads. Managing the heat build up in your brake system is key to avoid say, toasting your trustworthy race pads at twice the speed you'd would have gone when you had the OEM pads on. Yes, you will fade the OEM pads. That is actually the whole point of using them. Know how it feels, know what happens and learn how to deal with it. There are other ways to get a car to slow down.

The driver has a large influence on the durability of his/her brakes. The driver who can manage his OEM pads will learn faster how to properly brake at the race track.

By the way, toasting the rear brakes on a Z can mean the driver is putting too much power down on corner exit (ABLS is working hard). That usually means he didn't carry all the speed he could in that corner. That often means he braked too much on the approach, putting too much heat in the brakes. Or maybe he thinks late braking is the key to going fast and carries the brakes to the apex. Or many other possibility.

In short, if the OP wants to learn as much as he can from his track time, OEM pads shouldn't be discredited outright. If he just wants to drive around a race track and has money to spend, any pad will do.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kolia brings up some good points, but the main thing about track days/HPDE's/etc is safety. I'd at least have a spare set of pads in case you do burn through them.