MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Autocross/Road (https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road-305/)
-   -   Roll Cage Kit (https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/481608-roll-cage-kit.html)

dgemotorsports 04-04-2010 07:48 PM

Roll Cage Kit

Is there any interest in a weld in roll cage kit other than what's already out there? I have pictures of the cage I designed but don't want to post them cause I'm not trying to sell them at the moment and I don't want my post deleted cause I'm not a site sponsor, simply gauging market interest.

03threefiftyz 04-04-2010 07:57 PM

Do you have a prototype already? Or simply gauging interest?

R350Zz33 04-04-2010 08:05 PM

if you can make a nice cheep harness bar thats up to spec with rulebooks and dosent take up lots of space im intrested. especialy if its blue

pntfrk69 04-04-2010 09:48 PM

+1 a harness bar would probably sell better then a roll cage

terrasmak 04-04-2010 10:35 PM

Actually would like a bolt in that doesn't effect the pass seat as bad.

Stack 04-05-2010 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
if you can make a nice cheep harness bar thats up to spec with rulebooks and dosent take up lots of space im intrested. especialy if its blue

Sorry, can't be done

Originally Posted by pntfrk69 (Post 8272700)
+1 a harness bar would probably sell better then a roll cage

You guys realize the main difference between a harness bar that is functional and a 4-point roll bar that is safe, is the main hoop... right?

I'd venture a guess that it would actually be EASIER to build a 4-point roll bar w/ integrated harness bar. Would a harness bar sell better? Probably. Is it the right product to sell? In my opinion, no.

dgemotorsports 04-05-2010 06:12 AM

I'm in agreement with Stack. Sure the harness bar gives you a place to mount your shoulder harness and keep you strapped in the seat but what happens if you unfortunately end up rolling your car? The harness bar is not going to keep the roof from coming down on you. Please people, think safety first.

Sure the harness bar might sell better but I won't sell something just to make money because it will sell. It must provide some type of real safety value. On that note I won't sell bolt in roll cages either. I won't even install one if a customer asks me to because they are for the most part not as safe as a weld in cage. IMO anything that bolts to sheet metal and does not tie into structural members of the car is a waste of money.

dkmura 04-05-2010 01:01 PM

I agree that roll bar/cage members should be welded into the structure of the car. If you're going to put one in, put it in right! As for the kit itself, my biggest question is can one be designed for a 'one-size fits all' application like the Z? Depending on whether the car is prepped to SCCA, NASA, Redline, etc. rules, the cage may need to have two side door bars or other extras. Some people will strip their interiors, while others want the cage or main hoop to be streetable.

Since you're asking for feedback, I'd suggest you throw out some numbers on what a cage and/or mainhoop kit would cost. Also, how long to install so the noobies get an idea of what it'll take time-wise.

idrive_MD 04-05-2010 01:10 PM

Like dkmura is suggestion, you may want to make this as an optionable kit (4-point main hoop being basic setup, 6-point being optional upgrade, variation on door bars etc). The only stipulation I see being an issue is making it streetable, no rollcage should be streetable as they present numerous safety concerns when used on the street with out helmets. I would think based on DGEM's comments that they would more than likely build a race-spec style cage that will more than likely require lots of interior part removal or cutting.

I would think there is a market for it, just how justifiable for you is your decision, the cost is up to us to swallow or not.

betamotorsports 04-05-2010 02:13 PM

The main road race sanctioning bodies all allow gutting of the driver's door and installation of double door bars that bend into the door cavity. That additional room helps with driver access and gives a little more crush room in a wreck. I suggest that as the style of weld-in door bar to include with this kit. As a manufacturer you want to provide as much safety as possible.

betamotorsports 04-05-2010 02:25 PM

FYI... these guys are the business model. I've installed a few of these in Miatas (one install was profiled in SportCar) and its a snap. I won't even build a custom cage for a Miata. I just tell the customer to buy this and I'll install it.

http://www.miatacage.com/

R350Zz33 04-05-2010 07:55 PM

thats why the *****star rollover is for ;)

dgemotorsports 04-06-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by dkmura (Post 8274252)
Since you're asking for feedback, I'd suggest you throw out some numbers on what a cage and/or main hoop kit would cost. Also, how long to install so the noobies get an idea of what it'll take time-wise.

A full 8 point cage that ties into the firewall (not through the firewall) with nascar bars both sides will go between $1000 and $1100. A 4 point with the necessary bracing for around $500. I can also make a 6 point kit similar to what the drag racers use with a single door bar that goes from the main hoop forward to the rocker sill.

Everyone throw some suggestions at me as to what you would like to see in kit form. I can design any configuration you like but would like to come up with a product that would serve the majority of the 350Z community.

mw9 04-06-2010 08:04 AM

I am very interested, looking for a 4 point right now. PM if they come available with pics, might be interested in the full 8 point.

They make some badass cages, http://www.miatacage.com/

terrasmak 04-06-2010 10:18 AM

Interested in a 4 point that doesn't kill passenger seating and can be upgraded to 6 or 8 point later.

03threefiftyz 04-06-2010 10:26 AM

+1 on 4 point.

06platinumG 04-06-2010 12:09 PM

I'm would be interested in a 4 point with a diagonal bar and a removeable harness bar for my G that retains the rear seat. No one is currently making a bar for the G and I have talked to Kirk and Autopower with no success. I know this tread is directed to the Z but I think there is a need also for the G

Stack 04-06-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 06platinumG (Post 8276917)
I'm would be interested in a 4 point with a diagonal bar and a removeable harness bar for my G that retains the rear seat. No one is currently making a bar for the G and I have talked to Kirk and Autopower with no success. I know this tread is directed to the Z but I think there is a need also for the G

As long as you're not planning on using the rear seat for passengers. Even with a cross bar removed, you wouldn't want passengers in back behind a roll structure.

06platinumG 04-06-2010 04:41 PM

SCCA class regs for ESP don't allow removing the rear seat is the reason.

Stack 04-06-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 06platinumG (Post 8277719)
SCCA class regs for ESP don't allow removing the rear seat is the reason.

Gotcha... You might want to see if there are any concessions though when adding a roll bar.