MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Autocross/Road (https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road-305/)
-   -   GPS timer/Data acquisition...jump in and give out a shout for your unit (https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/491765-gps-timer-data-acquisition-jump-in-and-give-out-a-shout-for-your-unit.html)

mhoward1 08-03-2010 06:30 AM

You can pretty much buy anything that runs windows Mobile. This includes the HP Ipaq, Dell Axium, or any cheap WM hand held. Some have GPS, some don't. If they don't just buy a $50 GPS Bluetooth Puck.

mekatoka 08-03-2010 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mhoward1 (Post 8566346)
....If they don't just buy a $50 GPS Bluetooth Puck.

Ok. I am planning on borrowing an old phone from someone to test the program if I like it and then will buy a used one on Ebay. Regarding the GPS Puck, I am looking at Qstarz BT-Q818X. It sells for about ~$60 on Ebay.

Howard, I see that you have guages with rpm readings. Were you able to record that info since you have the hardware version of RaceChrono?

I am assuming the smartphone version does not support any of this and only supports lap timings and possibly Brake/Throttle indicators based on GPS positions?

mekatoka 08-03-2010 06:49 AM

I also found a very good review where the reviewer explained about segments and how to generate a map of the track. He was talking about an AutoX lap but I am assuming it will be the same for a HPDE track as well.

What about the other Full Systems like Traqmate and Racepack? How do they generate the track layouts?

mhoward1 08-03-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mekatoka (Post 8566376)
Ok. I am planning on borrowing an old phone from someone to test the program if I like it and then will buy a used one on Ebay. Regarding the GPS Puck, I am looking at Qstarz BT-Q818X. It sells for about ~$60 on Ebay.

Howard, I see that you have guages with rpm readings. Were you able to record that info since you have the hardware version of RaceChrono?

I am assuming the smartphone version does not support any of this and only supports lap timings and possibly Brake/Throttle indicators based on GPS positions?

No, RC can record just about any OBII data. You just need an OBII reader like OBIIKey. It's bluetooth and feeds right into RC. It includes brake and throttle position, RPM, Sensor readouts and just about anything else your OBII reads.

mekatoka 08-03-2010 09:03 AM

What about THIS?

ELM327 Scanner OBDII Car Diagnostic OBD2

I only found one on Ebay. Did not find any stores that I can order and get shipped faster. I am planning on getting stuff ready to use it at the track this coming weekend.

EDIT
Found another one called ScanTool, but it's expensive --> HERE

nkohler 08-03-2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mhoward1 (Post 8566532)
No, RC can record just about any OBII data. You just need an OBII reader like OBIIKey. It's bluetooth and feeds right into RC. It includes brake and throttle position, RPM, Sensor readouts and just about anything else your OBII reads.

So are you using RC's pre-packaged setup? Or did you piece yours together with a WM device? Care to share exactly what hardware you are using with success?

mhoward1 08-03-2010 02:17 PM

I have my setup but I tested the GPS puck that comes with the hardware. The Qstar 5 hz.

My setup was a HTC touch running 6.1 and the gps puck.

mekatoka 08-03-2010 07:11 PM

Howard, can you please answer my questions on the OBDII scanners?

mhoward1 08-04-2010 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by mekatoka (Post 8568290)
Howard, can you please answer my questions on the OBDII scanners?

Just checked and the ELM is on the list of compatible scanners.

mekatoka 08-04-2010 06:39 AM

I was also researching on Traqmate in parallel and it's amazing how expensive the system is. I was under the impression that the Traqmate Complete would give me all the inputs and not just the track times. But it looks like I was wrong. Everything needs an add-on and I am starting to doubt the cost-to-benefit ratio of this system for weekend warriors or intermediate track drivers. It might be a different story for people who are really serious and do stuff like Time Attacks, Races etc.

What I found (a lot of folks might already know)

- Traqmate Basic ($699) --> Gives basic lap times
- Traqmate Complete ($999) --> Adds an additional display module that shows laptimes in car
- Traqmate Data --> You need this component ($129) in addition to Basic or Complete to get inputs like RPM, Brake, Throttle etc.
- Traqmate Traqstudio --> a $200 software package to generate video overlays on to your videos

However, there are some really good things about Traqmate for people who can reap the benefits. For instance its GPS supposedly works at 10, 20, 30 Hz.

I am somebody who typically drives in third or second fastest groups depending on the track and something like this would be a total waste of money. It might be better to buy more seat time and get better :icon27:

mhoward1 08-04-2010 06:44 AM

traqmate has a few things going for it

1) Software - I still think it's the best software analyst package out there.
2) User base - There are a lot of users you can swap data with and compare to.

I am hoping that TM will unlock their format so it can be compared to other systems like DLI, Racebox, and others have done but I don't think that will be any time soon.

mekatoka 08-04-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mhoward1 (Post 8566532)
....You just need an OBII reader like OBIIKey....

Howard I searched online and did not find anything called OBIIKey. Was it a typo?

I found something called OBDKey. Is that what you were referring to? Also, this unit is very expensive ~$140 and it ships from UK. I wonder what is the difference between that and the cheaper unit (~$60) I found on Ebay.

OBDKey vs ELM327

I have been searching online and local places but did not find any place where I can order something and get it shipped overnight or a 2-day delivery. Does anyone know of any websites in USA to get the Bluetooth OBDII scanner?

mhoward1 08-04-2010 07:13 AM

Sorry, yes it's OBDKey

You can also get the ELM327 for $40 bucks

http://www.easy-motorcycle.com/bluet...less-p-81.html

Others that have been tested are
Car-Pal BT
Alpha-Bid's Bluetooth OBD-II reader

but they have been slower and skipped readings compared to the ELM and OBDKey
As far as getting before the weekend...sorry I don't know.

mekatoka 08-04-2010 08:04 AM

Ordered both Bluetooth GPS and OBDII scan key. I will have to wait till the end of August for my next track day to test these :(

mekatoka 08-23-2010 07:58 AM

Autobahn Country Club - TRACK MAP for RaceChrono

Does anyone have a track map for Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL, USA?
http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/

I need both SOUTH and FULL courses

mhoward1 08-23-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mekatoka (Post 8609953)
Does anyone have a track map for Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL, USA?
http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/

I need both SOUTH and FULL courses

hey, I answered your question on the other forum. I can also help out more if needed, just ping me.

Just a question, did you build your own setup or order it complete? I now carry the complete setup.

http://www.mh-motorsports.com/products.htm

mekatoka 08-23-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mhoward1 (Post 8610074)
hey, I answered your question on the other forum. I can also help out more if needed, just ping me.

Just a question, did you build your own setup or order it complete? I now carry the complete setup.

http://www.mh-motorsports.com/products.htm

Saw the reply there Marty, thanks. I built my own setup

- Dell Axim X51V on Ebay
- QStar GPS
- OBDII Key from Easy Motorcycle store link that you provided a few posts up

mhoward1 08-23-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mekatoka (Post 8610155)
Saw the reply there Marty, thanks. I built my own setup

- Dell Axim X51V on Ebay
- QStar GPS
- OBDII Key from Easy Motorcycle store link that you provided a few posts up

cool, it's pretty cool you can build everything up yourself. Did you get the new 10 hz Qstar?

We got the 10 hz 818XBT up and running and now even have customized software for the equipment build.

mekatoka 08-23-2010 10:04 AM

Nope, I got 5Hz. I searched around and some folks had trouble with 10Hz so I decided to take the safer route. Timing is not that CRITICAL to me at this point.

mhoward1 08-23-2010 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mekatoka (Post 8610220)
Nope, I got 5Hz. I searched around and some folks had trouble with 10Hz so I decided to take the safer route. Timing is not that CRITICAL to me at this point.

yeah, we had to change the software to get the 10 hz reliable. Good news is we also went ahead and also changed the data logging to handle upcoming 20 hz, and 100 hz units coming soon.