Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Just got back from Thunderhill!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM
seekanddestroy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got back from Thunderhill!

I want to thank everyone once again for all the advice in my other thread. You guys helped me a ton! My first track day couldn't have been better for my learning. Running T-hill dry instead of Infineon wet was definitely without a doubt the right move.

Heres the long read. I tried to keep it short but I couldn't contain myself.

My first run (6 laps) was a disaster, well from a technical standpoint. I "technically" know the basics of cornering and when to brake, when to accelerate, basic racing lines, etc. Actually translating it to real life was more challenging than I expected, I was out of control. I had my pit chief riding along barking orders and while it was all the right advice, my brain was just trying to process too much at once and I was braking too soft and too far into the turns making everything else fall apart. I really wasn't trying to go too fast, at least so I thought, when in actuality I was because I wasn't taking my time.

The second run I went solo. This was key. I slowed down and started just focusing on my line I literally talked myself through it. Before I knew it I was braking properly (in a straight line), targeting my apex, and accelerating out. This became second nature very quickly and I started being able to pay attention to my horrendous gear selection! That didn't take long and my braking was getting much harder and later, I'm getting super pumped and...-checker flag

The cool down session at this point was perfect I did my compare and contrast from my first two runs and before long I was pumped to hit the track again!

Third run was spectacular! I know it sounds cheesy but it felt like Gran Turismo. I was braking 98% into corners playing "just the tip" with ABS, off the brake on to gas very quickly and WOT out of turns 2, 4, 6, THROUGH 7, almost through 8, through the apex at 9 down the crest, 13 and almost through 15!!! For the rest of the day! My car is rediculously planted. I couldn't believe the grip through turn 2! My rear end didn't get sloppy at all, all day. My BBK RULED. I owe it all to those brakes. Compared to the canyon runs on my stockers I couldn't be happier that I chose them over other mods I was eyeballing at the time.

Fourth run the pit chief was back...and I scared the living hell out of him

I never planned on pushing my car that hard today. But it was so natural and I only improved throughout the day with 0 "oh shizen!" moments. None. I was 100% confident 100% of the time. I know I have lessons to learn and I'm trying to not let myself get overconfident and my first run definitely helps with that. I cant wait for my 3rd and 4th runs to become my new "1st" run.

If any of you are EVER at ANY track events that I can come to and get ride-alongs and tips PLEASE PM me or hit me up someway somehow. I'm now a bonifide track junky.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Its a blast and addicting. Before you know it, all your savings will be gone. Come on out and play at Cal speedway in a couple weeks.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you enjoyed yourself. 90 percent of members will never experience the full potential of the Z.

Driving with an instructor can be overwhelming. Its like mental overload. My best instructors tell me what is "going to happen." My least favorite instructors tell me what "IS happening." IS happening is too late: it already happen a second ago.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 PM
seekanddestroy

^Exactly! That is exactly what I experienced. As soon as I talked myself through it instead of listening to a play by play things fell into place and I am literally beside myself with my car at the moment. I had little idea what my car was capable of. I'm so excited to get my skills to where I can match hers
Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM
NismoZ_840

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear! THill was definitely the better call than dealing with wet conditions. You hooked now, and all those future mod plans will take a back seat to the tire and brake budget! You'll be surprised how much you continue to improve your cornering as you experience develops and you can read the track more precisely.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
AznSky

Awesome, welcome to the addiction. It's a completely different feeling than modding

I'm surprised the instructor let you go solo on the 2nd run! I normally don't like going solo just cuz I like the fact of having somebody there, but it's a totally different experience going solo because you have to tell yourself what to do and the car's dynamics change a bit too.

And you said it yourself, don't get too confident and just keep on practicing the basics

btw, vids are needed!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:26 AM
seekanddestroy

we had a go pro but the batt was dead and no charger so we got no footage All I have is this..enjoy

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1288202145.mp4

Last edited by seekanddestroy; 10-28-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM
solidfish

Originally Posted by seekanddestroy
we had a go pro but the batt was dead and no charger so we got no footage All I have is this..enjoy

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1288202145.mp4
What day were you at thill? I was just there too.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoZ_840
... and all those future mod plans will take a back seat to the tire and brake budget!

Funny but he speaks the truth!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
seekanddestroy

Originally Posted by solidfish
What day were you at thill? I was just there too.
I was there this last Tuesday the 26th.

As far as wheels and brakes if you mean replacing what I have, thats a low priority. Yeah I would love to have 18"s but my BBK wont allow it and I really don't want to switch brakes. They may be overkill but DAMN did they perform and the feel was amazing. I need a seat and harness first and foremost...

Maybe a smaller stoptech setup would be a wiser choice but until I am convinced in person I'm sticking with what is working.

*Just reread and saw that you guys said TIRES. Yeah Im tripping on tire costs...

Really wishing I was running 18"s. My buddy has an extra set of T1R's he will sell me cheap as I already need to replace my rears but I really want something stickier. Of course I will be using search and doing other research but if you guys want to spout recommendations in here I'm all ears.

Running 275 35 19 rear and 255 35 19 fronts,

camber is -1.5 LF -1.7 RF -1.7 LR and -1.7 RR

and noticed some understeer.

Last edited by seekanddestroy; 10-28-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Bump up to 275/30 fronts once you wear out the 255's. Understeer will be gone
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 PM
seekanddestroy

I've been eyeing the R888s in 265/30 fronts and 295/30 rears...cha-ching$$$$

Need some cheaper 19s that clear BBK as well. Time to sell all the "for show" parts!

For now though what do you think about dialing out some more negative camber?

Last edited by seekanddestroy; 10-28-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Zazz93

I've been eyeing the R888s in 265/30 fronts and 295/30 rears...cha-ching$$$$
I think he was referring to a square setup. If you go to a 295 out back a 285 tends to be a good front size though.

For now though what do you think about dialing out some more negative camber?
I would stay away from less camber than you have now. I would probably want a little more up front though, -2.25 to -2.50 .

Last edited by Zazz93; 10-29-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 PM
seekanddestroy

Originally Posted by Zazz93
I think he was referring to a square setup. If you go to a 295 out back a 285 tends to be a good front size though.

I would stay from less camber than you have now. I would probably want a little more up front though, -2.25-2.50 .

^Yeah thats what I was talking about, just front.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Zazz93

Was there any other drivers there with similar Z's to get an idea of a benchmark lap times? I know it was an eye open-er for me. Its tough to be within 10 or so seconds on that first day.

Last edited by Zazz93; 10-29-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
seekanddestroy

Nope, I was the only Z
Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 PM
seekanddestroy

Heres a few shots I pulled from the ThunderDrift website,

I'm ready to go back!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If any of you are EVER at ANY track events that I can come to and get ride-alongs and tips PLEASE PM me or hit me up someway somehow. I'm now a bonifide track junky.
We were at Laguna Seca yesterday with a bunch of Zs (and a 510 and a G), sorry you missed out (but come get your seat!)

Was there any other drivers there with similar Z's to get an idea of a benchmark lap times? I know it was an eye open-er for me. Its tough to be within 10 or so seconds on that first day.
No need for him to be timing himself on his first day, but most 350Zs run in the middle 2:teens to 2:20. A fast lap in a 350Z at Thunderhill is 2:10. One can always go to this thread and enter the search term "Thunderhill" to see who has made entries: https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...ck-videos.html

I was in the 2:teens for years until stepping it up with a dedicated track Z.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by scotts300

No need for him to be timing himself on his first day, but most 350Zs run in the middle 2:teens to 2:20. A fast lap in a 350Z at Thunderhill is 2:10. One can always go to this thread and enter the search term "Thunderhill" to see who has made entries: https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...ck-videos.html

I was in the 2:teens for years until stepping it up with a dedicated track Z.
I was more referring to how humbling it is to go out and get handed your @$$ when you think your getting around pretty good. I remember my first event and there were a couple people who thought they were Paul Tracy only to find out their first session times were off by 20-30 secs. And yes... I was one of them.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was more referring to how humbling it is to go out and get handed your @$$ when you think your getting around pretty good. I remember my first event and there were a couple people who thought they were Paul Tracy only to find out their first session times were off by 20-30 secs. And yes... I was one of them.
Haven't we all!

We had a few total newbs to Laguna Seca yesterday (Hi Anthony!) He used an iPhone app which indicated he was running about 2:01 in his G35, which is - exactly like you said - about 10 seconds off of a fast-paced Z. My newb student was running about 4 or 5 seconds slower than that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got back from Thunderhill!