Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Autocross Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 12:18 PM
hajwoj

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Autocross Brake Pads

I know there is a Track Pad sticky and I have done some research already. However, much of the discussion is related to Track use and HPDE, or are pretty dated. Could be that pads aren't as relevant to Autox performance. I also realize that asking for Brake Pad recommendations is like asking for a good wine recommendation.

In any case, my car is a 03 Performance and I'm upgrading my stock brakes to a used set of Brembos, Stainless lines, and Centric rotors (high carbon). Car is not DD and competes in STU, however I do drive it to events and back.

My considerations so far have been: Stoptech Street Performance (309), HP+, and DTC-30.

Each one on that list is twice as expensive as the next and yes cost is a consideration, but so is good brake feel and left foot effort.

I doubt I will be doing HPDE events in this car (not comfortable being on track without a cage and other safety equipment).
Old 10-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm happy running HP+ pads on 05 base brakes. I don't think upgrading to brembos will help much for autocross. Bigger brakes are better for dealing with heat build up, but they also add a little unsprung weight. -and autocrossing is not likely to build up enough heat for brake fade.
The following users liked this post:
hajwoj (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 12:53 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I like EBC Redstuff. Not sure you'd get enough heat in the rotors to get the Yellowstuff working any better.
Domsfairlady (09-20-2020)
Old 10-01-2015, 01:02 PM
hajwoj

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
I'm happy running HP+ pads on 05 base brakes. I don't think upgrading to brembos will help much for autocross. Bigger brakes are better for dealing with heat build up, but they also add a little unsprung weight. -and autocrossing is not likely to build up enough heat for brake fade.
To be honest upgrading to brembos was not a calculated STU move, every other modification this year has been. I looked up the weights and the rotors are considerable heavier. Since I needed to get new lines, rotors and pads.. and got an OK deal on the calipers (will need to rebuild them). Thought what the hell...
Old 10-01-2015, 01:06 PM
hajwoj

Originally Posted by dcains
I like EBC Redstuff. Not sure you'd get enough heat in the rotors to get the Yellowstuff working any better.
Current pads are Redstuff, with standard brakes. I'm sure they are glazed over, but I'm having a hard time getting the ABS to kick in, right foot through the firewall braking.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:22 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I have yellow stuff front and hear on my HR. I love them but I have yet to hit the track with them so can't help much. I haven't noticed them needing much heat to work which is good for street use
Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by hajwoj
To be honest upgrading to brembos was not a calculated STU move, every other modification this year has been. I looked up the weights and the rotors are considerable heavier. Since I needed to get new lines, rotors and pads.. and got an OK deal on the calipers (will need to rebuild them). Thought what the hell...
I think you'll prefer the Brembo's. I've had them on my car for a few years and temporarily put the base brakes (dual-piston fronts) back on the car to have the Brembo's powdercoated and rebuilt. In both cases I had Centric rotors and Redstuff pads. So, switching back and forth between the two, over a few week period, it was easy to feel the difference, and the biggest one is that the initial bite on the Brembo's is much better. As is the feel when you're close to the threshold of the ABS.

If you've got them, you might as well use them, but be absolutely sure to cap the brake lines at the chassis junction as you're changing things over. If you get air in the ABS pump, good luck ever getting it all out. I only lost a few drops of fluid per corner when I did my swap, and bleeding was a breeze. I opened the bleeders and did a quick gravity bleed and then finished with a pressure bleed.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:10 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Both Peters and I always used Stoptech Pads. They don't have a lot of initial bite, but are very linear. I have a violent dislike for grabby pads in autox.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using ferodo ds2500, a combination street/track pad. definitely a noticeable bite and ABS can kick in if you want. squeals a little on the streat, but not much. I think it leans more towards track use. I have one HPDE trackday so far on them and love the feel; brakes were very consistent throughout the day. I'll go through these current pads and if they're not too rough on my stoptech rotors, I'll stick with them because I love the feel.

Originally Posted by hajwoj
Current pads are Redstuff, with standard brakes. I'm sure they are glazed over, but I'm having a hard time getting the ABS to kick in, right foot through the firewall braking.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:30 AM
dcains

I've got a set of StopTech front pads (brand new) for sale in the classified section, with a set of rear Nismo pads (75% left), both for Brembo calipers - got them with the calipers, but I use the EBC pads.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/6055...ds-brembo.html
Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 PM
06platinumG

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I run Carbotech AX6 on the front and XP10 in the rear for street and auto cross then for HPDE track days switch the fronts for XP16's. I have had great success with this combo with little rotor wear. They are dusty though.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 PM
eye-5

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have 350z specific info. However, I have a decent amount of experience with other cars. I really like the stoptech Streets for street/autocross duty. Good initial bite, minimal noise, there will be some dust (all performance pads do), and great price. I personally am not a fan of HP+ due to the amount of noise to performance ratio.

For road course I like Hawk DTC 60s for performance to price ratio for the front and DTC 30s for the rear. I do like Carbotech's as well but they tend to cost quite a bit more.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Anciano78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light on

Checked fluid and brake pads .everything looks good and brake light still staying on my dashboard .any sugestions on diagnosing the issue?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:10 PM
dcains

There's a switch on the parking brake handle. Might be broken, disconnected, or out of adjustment.
Anciano78 (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Anciano78

Default Brake light on

Decains.
Thanks for replying.
I had checked all of thar stuff and still no luck.
Could it be the wheel speed sensors?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Anciano78

Thanks for the reply.
I already tryied that .no luck yet
Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I ran Yellowstuff in autox for about 2 seasons on my factory 06 setup. They bite VERY well even on the first lap. Would highly recommend them. Only downside is dust, which is expected with these type of pads. They WILL fade on a road course which is ultimately when I went away from them but they really are great for street/autox use if dust isn't a concern.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:23 PM
HRMoneyPit

My yellow stuff are starting to make noise after a couple weeks.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
My yellow stuff are starting to make noise after a couple weeks.
Did you put the sticky backings? They help but the yellowstuffs are NOT a quiet street pad. They were kind of loud on the sliding caliper 06s. Even worse on the fixed caliper Brembos.

For whatever reason, the yellowstuffs I got for the 06 calipers came with a fairly useless yellow adhesive paste that you were supposed to apply to the back to prevent noise. It didn't work well. They later switched to a sticker that was self adhesive and stayed on better.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:40 PM
HRMoneyPit

Oh no I used some better stuff. It's sad cause it's just street driving on the weekends

I cant imagine after a track day

Quick Reply: Autocross Brake Pads