Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

dkmura in the hospital.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:25 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by mignav01
Hope all goes well man! And Mic you treating him to some of that good ole French laundry? he def deserves it when he recovers completely
And our resident Napa Valley savant speaks!

Yes, the best of Thomas Kellerman... but David is being humble and will accept something "not-as-grand"... hahahahaha. Pish posh, only two choices... French Laundry for marvelous Pate de fois gras or a Big Mac. Takes your choice, David.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:28 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Good news- bad news to report. First, I'm back from the hospital and the big needle. They extracted over 1,700 cc of serasanguinous (sp?) fluid from the area between my lung and the ribcage. That's almost FOUR pounds of weight that looked like fruit punch. Ugh- not a beverage I'll be craving anytime soon. Almost passed out towards the end of the pressurized extraction with a vagal reaction, but managed to get though it. Do I feel better? A bit, but the process left me sore and tired.

Bad news is, and I'm dropping all the medical terminology BS here, the scans also revealed I have a thickening and scarring of the lining of my lungs. This damage may need further and extensive surgery to correct. Right now, I'm trying not to worry too much about that- just enjoy the fact I made it through this part of the process for now.

Thanks to everyone for your well-wishes and thoughts! They all mean a lot to me.
Oy..... that sounds absolutely....

UNPLEASANT!

But yer through it and hope that your mending doesn't require getting inside!! You re-thinking my offer, dude? Hahaha.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:39 PM
mignav01

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
And our resident Napa Valley savant speaks!

Yes, the best of Thomas Kellerman... but David is being humble and will accept something "not-as-grand"... hahahahaha. Pish posh, only two choices... French Laundry for marvelous Pate de fois gras or a Big Mac. Takes your choice, David.
I couldn't resist! Haha a big Mac has advantages! Such as the fact that you can buy hundreds for a seat at our good man T Kellers restaurant.

Nevertheless keep fighting DK, here's to a speedy recovery
The following users liked this post:
jhc (05-11-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 01:12 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hang in there David. If I can do anything to help, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

That's almost FOUR pounds of weight
silver-lining...your setup is four pounds lighter!

hang in there and were pulling for you!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z006
Is that the same process (needle to lungs) that Niki Lauda went through when he got in that bad accident and burned his lungs? ugh...well you have something in common with him...
While I have some bruising to the inside of my lungs, Lauda's lung injuries were caused by heat and smoke. As I understand it, he was extracted from the wreck of his Ferrari after extended time trapped in the burning car. Without his helmet, balaclava, gloves, shoes and driving suit, he wouldn't have made it. The inside lining of his lungs was damaged and that's why he needed suction from the mouth.

It was fortunate there was no fire at all in my case. But as I'm learning, the lining of our lungs need to slide easily across our ribcage with a small amount of lubrication. The high-g impact has damaged that lining and was strong enough to fracture the bony tops off certain spine sections. Bone has healed (more or less), but the lining has not. That's why they went through the ribcage and into this pleural cavity to tap the fluid.

Let me reassure you- neither case is anything anybody wants to emulate!
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
350z006 (05-15-2017), bealljk (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 05:26 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

All the best on your journey my friend! Get well soon.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:00 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

thanks for the update DK!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:06 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

and in the midst of all of this- he still finds time to educate us all one way or another
Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

David, sorry I missed the update that you're back in the hospital, but as a critical care RN, IMO, it sounds like you're getting great care and you're getting better. Any idea of a discharge date, or will you need more procedures? Have you got a chest tube(s)? Are you ambulatory?

If you don't get out soon, we'll have to start a my350Z inpatient support group, with you and I as the charter members. I've been in and out of the hospital (not in my professional capacity) for most of the last 6 months myself. Nasty infection in my leg that just won't stay away, and won't respond fully to IV antibiotics. It came back again last Friday and every time it's worse, so I'm starting to have some real concerns. Worst part is that I need a kidney transplant, as my previous transplanted kidney failed after 16 years, and this crappy infection is delaying the evaluation to even get listed for another kidney. Anyone with an extra kidney they don't need (that's why you get two) feel free to PM me with the details. And let's hope we're both back to 100% and back home soon.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:37 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
David, sorry I missed the update that you're back in the hospital, but as a critical care RN, IMO, it sounds like you're getting great care and you're getting better. Any idea of a discharge date, or will you need more procedures? Have you got a chest tube(s)? Are you ambulatory?

If you don't get out soon, we'll have to start a my350Z inpatient support group, with you and I as the charter members. I've been in and out of the hospital (not in my professional capacity) for most of the last 6 months myself. Nasty infection in my leg that just won't stay away, and won't respond fully to IV antibiotics. It came back again last Friday and every time it's worse, so I'm starting to have some real concerns. Worst part is that I need a kidney transplant, as my previous transplanted kidney failed after 16 years, and this crappy infection is delaying the evaluation to even get listed for another kidney. Anyone with an extra kidney they don't need (that's why you get two) feel free to PM me with the details. And let's hope we're both back to 100% and back home soon.
Dean- sorry to hear about the reoccurring leg infection. That must be nasty and frustrating. I swear, I don't know what's worse--being in the biz like you and knowing what's coming--or being a poor sap like me who's just learning about how the human body works and dreading the proposed procedure(s).

In any case, I was d/c last week and am ambulatory at home. Problem is, this lung stuff isn't going away and I've been told, the lining to my lungs may have been scarred and damaged from the accident. I'm getting a consult from a specialized surgeon on a potential decortication of the left lung. From what little I know, this is not something I'm looking forward to.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Hang in there, David. Keep a positive attitude, eat well and healthy, and you will prevail.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:26 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Hang in there, David. Keep a positive attitude, eat well and healthy, and you will prevail.
He'll be fine, Dave, I promised him dinner, nay, an incredible dinner, at the end of this ordeal.

And Dean, take care of yourself, my man! Both of you guys will be in my thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:00 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

When you heal up, take a vacation closer to sea level, where the oxygen is thick and the beer flows like wine.

At the very least, get well soon dude.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks again for all the well-wishes guys, I appreciate each one. Yesterday, the medical appointment with a cardiothoracic surgeon went extremely well. After reviewing the imaging of my chest and lungs, he believes no further action is required unless the symptoms come back. While the lining of my lungs was damaged, there's no indication a decort (see? I'm already falling into the medical lingo) would be needed at this point. We just need to see how I progress over the next few weeks. So high-intensity workouts, here I come!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

good to hear!
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Great news - glad to hear it.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dcains
Great news - glad to hear it.
Thanks, Dean. And how's that leg of yours doing? I hope the infection is cleared by now...
Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Awesome news, David, so relieved to hear it and glad for you!

Thomas Keller wants you to get well too.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:38 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

So high-intensity workouts, here I come!
I had a buddy who used a topless personal trainer (former stripper) for a while when he was recovering from a bad knee injury. Of course, she wasn't licensed or anything; she just did the training with her ***** hanging out. He told me it really helped make the physical therapy a lot more tolerable. It didn't hurt that he was a Microsoft millionaire either.

Maybe you can find one on Craigslist or something.