Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Street/Track to mostly track build

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 PM
coletrickle74

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Alignment officially done. Ended up with:

Front: 1/16 toe out with -2.6ish camber
Back: 0 to a touch toe in and -2 camber

Just waiting for my damn Bell Raceworks brace to ship. They are ignoring emails after more than a week. Thinking about cancelling, but probably couldn't even get in contact with anyone to do so....
Old 04-16-2019, 12:09 PM
coletrickle74

Surgery went good yesterday. I was asking the surgeon about getting in the car again and his eyes light up lol. Turns out he's been going to the same events with the same group as me. Except he drives a GT3. Pretty cool
Old 04-17-2019, 12:08 PM
coletrickle74

Got the diff brace finally. Will throw it on once I can move around a little better.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:43 PM
BQPham

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
I run a HANS (slowly becoming mandatory across the orgs if you have any seat/restraint/airbag modifications), and there are several good seats that will work in the Z. Its the bolster hitting the door if you are running a door card that causes the fitment issues, as some seats run crazy wide. I run an HTE-R 400 (same as the regular HTE-R just narrower head restraints) and it fits even with the door cards in (no contact). Hope the surgery and recovery go well. Didnt happen on track did it?
Glad i stumbled upon this thread, great build.

For ref I run a Sparco EVO with Bride FG Rails. Theres a groove into my door panel now, not much avoiding it but it helps me know where my seating position was when people get in and move it lol. I don't mind though, only noticeable with it wide open or obviously when you are closing it. Working on deciding on which 6 PT harness to go with and what mounting i'll be using for lap and sub bolts. I was considering using the rear OEM seat rail bolt holes for the eye bolts, , but reading on here seems like they are M10x1.25 and it really is difficult to locate any eye bolts with this pitch as most are 7/16 which comply with the OEM seat belt bolt thread. Other option is to use the seat belt bolt for the left side lap belt then drill and add a welded plate or plate/washer/locknut combo with the trans tunnel.

Debating on the sub belt bolts still, might do the metal place i've seen others use and weld it then add eye bolts.

You put any thought into this yet?
Old 04-17-2019, 01:32 PM
coletrickle74

I went with a Sparco 6pt 2 inch belts. Didn't look into mounting points yet. Once I get the OEM seat out I'll poke around. Backing plates seem like the best option for sure. I'll post an update when I tackle it. Still waiting for the rollbar.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:12 PM
coletrickle74

Kirk rollbar is on its way. Took my oem seat out and started prospecting the Sparco. Looks like it will rub on the door a little but I haven't mounted it in yet. Going to have to source some bolts for the seat too.

Carpet and passenger seat coming out over the week. I actually bought new vinyl but not sure if I'll start it or not just yet.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:40 AM
BQPham

Will definitely rub, my driver door has a crease in it now from the upper bolster of the seat. Not noticeable when the door is closed so I just use it to know if my seat is properly adjusted to my usual location lol.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 AM
coletrickle74

Haha. I'm debating on whether or not to sand down the seat to clear it. How much do you think would have to be removed? Inch? Half inch? Or is it way more.

Seems pretty easy to remove the cover and sand down the fiberglass.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 AM
BQPham

Hard to say, i want to say half an inch as the crease within my door is just about half an inch, but the seat bolster flexes in a little when i close the door so potentially a bit more.

Definitely consider your mounting location and height first as that will likely effect how much you will need to sand. Also I'm using the Sparco Evo so the width may be different.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:01 PM
coletrickle74

Got the diff brace up, it fits pretty well. Hopefully I'm done replacing the rear bushing.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:29 PM
coletrickle74

Mounted the seats on the rail and put it in the car. Much to my surprise, it didnt hit the door panel. Unfortunately my helmet hits the roof though. I cut a half inch off the rails and will weld it back tomorrow. Should be enough clearance.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:20 PM
coletrickle74

Got the bar in. Looks good +1 for Kirk for sure.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 PM
coletrickle74

Instead of doing the seat rails I decided to put the rollbar in. Not to bad for a 1 man job. Probably shouldn't have done it by myself only 2 weeks after surgery but we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

As for the install itself. Had to smash both mounting areas on the floor and round some corners on the bar itself. Also had to ratchet strap the bar towards the back but its in place. I'll drill and mount it tomorrow but everything looks lined up as it is.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM
coletrickle74

Well I'm extremely happy with how this turned out. Didn't plan on spending $3k on safety stuff yet but **** happens.

Chopping the Buddy Club rails did the trick. Think I'm a little lower than stock. Now that the seat and rails are done. Going to work on the harness mounting next. As much as I like working on this, I'm glad its almost done.

The following users liked this post:
RobPhoboS (05-08-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 AM
BQPham

Looks great, regret not getting the kirk bar. Definitely update on how you mount lap and/or sub belts.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:32 AM
isy_nismo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
This upgraded power steering cooler was the easiest thing I have ever done. And cheap!

Pls Could you share the model p/n of the power steering cooler!!
Old 05-09-2019, 11:46 AM
coletrickle74

Originally Posted by isy_nismo
Pls Could you share the model p/n of the power steering cooler!!
Derale 13200.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:50 AM
coletrickle74

Originally Posted by BQPham
Looks great, regret not getting the kirk bar. Definitely update on how you mount lap and/or sub belts.
I'm going to use the stock location for the driverside lap belt. The anchors the harness came with are the same thread pitch and it routes nicely through the seat. Going in the trans tunnel on the pass side for sure.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:33 AM
BQPham

Originally Posted by coletrickle74
I'm going to use the stock location for the driverside lap belt. The anchors the harness came with are the same thread pitch and it routes nicely through the seat. Going in the trans tunnel on the pass side for sure.
I was thinking the same thing. I really wanted to just find eye bolts for rear seat anchor points, but they don't seem to sell that pitch anywhere for eye bolts.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:37 PM
coletrickle74

Car passed emissions today. Which is always hilarious to me because I have no cats.

On the way to the place I noticed an exhaust leak. Probably from where I disconnected the exhaust to get the diff back in. I bought an ISR single I'll put on soon. Hoping its not very loud.

Quick Reply: Street/Track to mostly track build