MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Body, Interior, Exterior & Lighting (DIY) (https://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy-460/)
-   -   Step-by-step instructions for outside door handle replacement (https://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy/542067-step-by-step-instructions-for-outside-door-handle-replacement.html)

tighefighter 11-26-2011 09:05 AM

Step-by-step instructions for outside door handle replacement

Dear Readers,

I am a newbie to this forum, but have found some important information.
My outside door handle broke and I became tired of using my key fob to roll down my windows to open the door from the inside. Although the part (new door handle) was not that expensive, I knew the labor would be.

First of all, don't fret, You don't need to take off the inside door panel!!!

The tools you will need include:
1. 11mm socket (long socket or smaller socket w/ extension)
2. Philips screwdriver
3. Flat head screwdriver

1. To get started, first remove the rubber grommets, there are two of them on the inside of the door

2.IMPORTANT---(sorry about the Capital letters, not yelling, just trying to have your attention)- Find two pieces of cardboard (not box cardboard, but not construction paper either--Something in between will work well). Tear about a 1 inch strip and insert it into the holes of where you took out the grommets. What you are trying to accomplish is forming a catch, when your remove the bolts, You do not want these bolts to fall to the bottom of your door! These half circle pieces of cardboard will catch the removed bolt.

3. Carefully remove the upper and lower bolt and set aside

4. You can now remove the handle, but you cannot remove it all the way because it is still attached to the lock assembly.

5. Slide and push out the door handle (part way) it will not come out all the way. Look for broken pieces that might fall down the door. My handle had broke in two. My point is that you need that curved piece of thick strong wire (like a super strong "hanger" wire)

6. There is a bolt holding the key/lock assembly to the handle and can be removed with a socket wrench or screwdriver. I recommend the screwdriver because you have more control.

7. Remove door handle. Mine was in two pieces. Probably from all the times the handle snapped back from my hands slipping out.

8. Now you want to remove the heavy duty wire from the old handle and replace it into the new door handle. What this does is go down into a small "funnelled hole", mine was blue in color and push down the latch assembly. Now your ready to install the new handle

9. Make sure the metal curved rod goes in first (don't worry about fitting it in the hole yet) and reattach the bolt to the key assembly. You will notice a rubber tipped (clear rubber) latch toward the bottom of the new handle. Don't screw or unscrew this! But what you want to do is fit this with the inside of the rubber on the inside of the door. It forms sort of a groove so start with the bottom.

10. With the rubber latch grooved into the metal of your door, work the rod into the blue recepticle. It's sort of funnelled so it goes in fairly easily.

11. Push in the door handle and make it flush. If your not sure if the rod is in it's proper home, tightly hold the door handle in place and shut your door and see if it opens using the new handle, if not keep adjusting you'll get it.

12. Replace the cardboard!!!! You don't want to lose a bolt at this point.
Replace the two bolts and the rubber grommets and you done!

This job will take you about an hour. If you had to do it again it will probably take you about 20 minutes. The dealer would probably charge you $400. So you will probably save $325. The new handle is around $75.

Good luck!

JCITY 11-26-2011 11:26 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by tighefighter (Post 9488561)
Dear Readers,

I am a newbie to this forum, but have found some important information.
My outside door handle broke and I became tired of using my key fob to roll down my windows to open the door from the inside. Although the part (new door handle) was not that expensive, I knew the labor would be.

First of all, don't fret, You don't need to take off the inside door panel!!!

The tools you will need include:
1. 11mm socket (long socket or smaller socket w/ extension)
2. Philips screwdriver
3. Flat head screwdriver

1. To get started, first remove the rubber grommets, there are two of them on the inside of the door

2.IMPORTANT---(sorry about the Capital letters, not yelling, just trying to have your attention)- Find two pieces of cardboard (not box cardboard, but not construction paper either--Something in between will work well). Tear about a 1 inch strip and insert it into the holes of where you took out the grommets. What you are trying to accomplish is forming a catch, when your remove the bolts, You do not want these bolts to fall to the bottom of your door! These half circle pieces of cardboard will catch the removed bolt.

3. Carefully remove the upper and lower bolt and set aside

4. You can now remove the handle, but you cannot remove it all the way because it is still attached to the lock assembly.

5. Slide and push out the door handle (part way) it will not come out all the way. Look for broken pieces that might fall down the door. My handle had broke in two. My point is that you need that curved piece of thick strong wire (like a super strong "hanger" wire)

6. There is a bolt holding the key/lock assembly to the handle and can be removed with a socket wrench or screwdriver. I recommend the screwdriver because you have more control.

7. Remove door handle. Mine was in two pieces. Probably from all the times the handle snapped back from my hands slipping out.

8. Now you want to remove the heavy duty wire from the old handle and replace it into the new door handle. What this does is go down into a small "funnelled hole", mine was blue in color and push down the latch assembly. Now your ready to install the new handle

9. Make sure the metal curved rod goes in first (don't worry about fitting it in the hole yet) and reattach the bolt to the key assembly. You will notice a rubber tipped (clear rubber) latch toward the bottom of the new handle. Don't screw or unscrew this! But what you want to do is fit this with the inside of the rubber on the inside of the door. It forms sort of a groove so start with the bottom.

10. With the rubber latch grooved into the metal of your door, work the rod into the blue recepticle. It's sort of funnelled so it goes in fairly easily.

11. Push in the door handle and make it flush. If your not sure if the rod is in it's proper home, tightly hold the door handle in place and shut your door and see if it opens using the new handle, if not keep adjusting you'll get it.

12. Replace the cardboard!!!! You don't want to lose a bolt at this point.
Replace the two bolts and the rubber grommets and you done!

This job will take you about an hour. If you had to do it again it will probably take you about 20 minutes. The dealer would probably charge you $400. So you will probably save $325. The new handle is around $75.

Good luck!

Well done DIY procedure!

mike_eee 11-26-2011 05:57 PM

cool DIY...I did remove and replace painted handles like 6 times.

Use good magnetized screw driver to remove screws, u can also used sockets to break them free if they are tight.

While putting screws back..use masking tape or any tape to keep the screw held on the driver and after they are tightened down just rip the tape .

3hree5ive0ero 01-05-2012 04:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Dang, I didn't know there was a DIY for this already.

Well, let me add some pictures and clarify a few things that the OP said. In the above instructions, the OP directs you to use a 11mm socket, but it should be 10mm.

pic1: circled are the 2 grommets you can just pull off from the edge using your fingernails
pic2: use a ratchet with a 10mm socket to loosen the bolts, then take them out with a magnetized screwdriver* (prevent bolt dropping)
pic3: pull the outside door handle up and away from the car to take it out
pic4: the new door handle does not come with the "metal wire" so look for this
pic5: this is where the "metal wire" goes

3hree5ive0ero 01-05-2012 04:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
pic6: transfer the "metal wire" from the old handle to the new one (just hold white plastic bracket in place and spin the metal wire to release)
pic7: make sure the "metal wire" goes into the blue plastic first then fit the handle onto the door

* If you don't have a magnetic screwdriver but have a strong magnet and a metal phillips screwdriver, then you can create one yourself by taking the magnet and brushing it against the tip (~1") of the screwdriver. You can rotate the screwdriver to magnetize all around, but don't change the magnetic polarity or the direction of the brushing (no back and forth). Do this for a minute or two and you should be good.

JasonZ-YA 12-13-2012 07:15 AM

good pics! thanks

My co-worker is lazy and needs to do this...! (written cause i know one day soon he will read it).

-J

samsniss350z 12-23-2012 11:23 AM

A great piece of work dude and the photo's top it off a treat. This is something i've been planning to do for a while now and this post has given me the enthusiasm to attempt it. Well done.

OnlyBlackZ 01-14-2013 09:00 AM

Awesome DIY!!!! What actual part is the most common that breaks in the door? I'm planning on changing both handles out at the same time because my Z is my daily driver and I can't have my doors taken apart for a couple days while I order the parts or figure it out. Any help with parts or part #'s highly appreciated

3hree5ive0ero 01-14-2013 08:31 PM

https://my350z.com/forum/attachments...105_175140.jpg

That's what broke on mine. Also, this takes literally 30 minutes to do at most and it's very easy to figure out so you won't have any trouble replacing both sides in a single day. Just go to the dealership and get door handles -- there's only 1 part for each side.

juicenigk 02-06-2013 10:09 AM

Great write up! I just used this to fix my door handle on the driver side. My driver side would not open up from the outside only on the inside. I had to roll down my windows with the FOB everytime and reach inside just to open it. I ordered from the site below and it was about 60-70ish dollars shipped (can't remember exact price). If this happens save some money and do it yourself!

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ponentsIndex=9

part number 80606 for driver side

rob720 03-12-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by juicenigk (Post 10034472)
Great write up! I just used this to fix my door handle on the driver side. My driver side would not open up from the outside only on the inside. I had to roll down my windows with the FOB everytime and reach inside just to open it. I ordered from the site below and it was about 60-70ish dollars shipped (can't remember exact price). If this happens save some money and do it yourself!

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ponentsIndex=9

part number 80606 for driver side

Just replaced this on my Z today. Lost three bolts into the door abyss. Had to order the thing twice from Nissanpartzone.com but they shipped super fast. Make sure if you order from this site that you're getting 80607-CD401 for the part number. I have an extra passenger side outside door handle now due to attention to detail on my part.

Thanks a ton for the easy visual walk through!

photo-p 04-06-2013 07:32 AM

Thanks I did the install in 15 minuets its very easy, but I did lose a screw.lol

mavtais 04-29-2013 09:37 PM

Thank you! Will try this because you are correct. The dealer will charge you $400+ to change this $70 part.

pluu 05-17-2013 10:19 AM

So I have the same issue with my driverdoor handle right now.

I have 2004 350Z convertible. Off the parts list should I be ordering this part # **607-CD401?

Also the same door window motor is broken. So I should just kill two birds with one stone, correct?

Thanks In Advance.

beer1625 07-08-2013 03:35 PM

try the step by step

works GREAT.. 45m job.. Thanks:)

slow7 09-28-2013 09:47 PM

thank you very help for DIY, but i drop the bottom screw down the door T-T lol

slow7 09-28-2013 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by photo-p (Post 10091403)
Thanks I did the install in 15 minuets its very easy, but I did lose a screw.lol

:icon18: i did to

3hree5ive0ero 09-29-2013 08:28 AM

Haha, should've read my instructions (post 4 & 5). I specifically state that you should use a magnetized screw driver and even tell you how to make one yourself.

That z 10-03-2013 10:22 PM

Excellent walkthrough!! This will really come in handy when I take the door handles off to paint them! :icon38:

Optics 10-11-2013 11:50 AM

Just had to post my appreciation for this thread. My handle broke a week and a half ago and it's been nice having the RKE but not so fun when it's pouring out for days. My new handle came in yesterday, and thanks to this post I replaced the old with the new in about 10 min with ease. Thanks to all who have put in the time to put in the DIY, pics, and tips.