Notices

DIY: Restoring Headlights with New UV coating

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by island03z
anyone have a problem with the uv coating having a hard time drying? Took almost 3 hours for my car to dry to the touch in 70 degree weather here in Hawaii. The lights look great but its been 6 months later and I can tell the uv coating is gone on some spots. I'm going to try several coats this next time I redo the lights but waiting hours between each coat is going to take forever. Any accelerator additives I can try or tips on drying?
We use a UV light, similar to what bodyshops use, just smaller. Dries one headlight in about 5 or 10min. But I'd def recommend using uv proctective glasses
Old 03-30-2013, 05:41 PM
bikinilust

Originally Posted by Fairlady_Love
I was wondering the same thing. Some brake clean splashed onto my headlights, and they spider/stress cracked pretty bad... Anyway, bought some Depo lights to jack the lenses, and I have read that they oxidize rather quickly, so I would like to apply this UV coating. I have also noticed since having them, the lenses aren't very durable and can scratch kind of easily. So I was thinking about putting a LaminX protective vinyl covers over this coating. Would there be an issue with this?
I've seen headlight films cause micro stress cracks in the headlight over time
Old 03-30-2013, 05:46 PM
bikinilust

Originally Posted by sk8r776
I have used the 3M kit on numerous cars. It works but with in a year hazing and yellowing will come back. even with their sealer/protector used afterwards.
We use LIGHTRITE at our shop and have had great results. I think the manufacture guarantees two years minimum against fading, etc...
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 AM
hiplip27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent DIY, going to do this on my Z today, restoring the Inside of one the lights since the cap fell off the back and water destroyed the inside
Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 AM
funmoneypit

Great DIY project and get write up. I did this to my new to me 2005 roadster. The original owner had been in a small accident that took out the passenger headlight so that was replaced a couple of years ago. That one still looks new and the driver side one was starting to fog up/look bad. Well I followed the instructions on here and it looks better than the one that was replaced. I did use too much coating on the rag and it ran a little. I will be the only one that would ever see it so I am going to leave it for now and see how long it lasts. I can always do it over any time later that I want if it bugs me too much. Again, great write up and this is a great forum.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Cho_Z

Is there an alternative UV sealant to the UV Sealer-Helmsman Spar Urethane(Indoor/Outdoor)Clear Gloss. I live in CA and can not get it? I did notice they have a water based one but not sure if that will work. Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the tips, used the same procedure and tools, I used small foam brushes for the UV coat.Took about 30-40 minutes to dry.Found crazing on my lights unfortunately,but came out great.

Did my daughters G20 as well, 13 year old lights that looked like a clouded scratched mess look as good as new.

Will update, only did one coat on each set, see how long it last...I wash my car at least 3 times a week.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Restoring Headlights with New UV coating-photogrid_1393197270574.jpg   DIY: Restoring Headlights with New UV coating-photogrid_1393201850028.jpg  
Old 05-21-2018, 03:29 PM
blue08

Default successfully tried helsman uv

I resurfaced my headlights 2 years ago and used a quality spray clear coat. I never loved it and after 1 year it turned yellow, started peeling and flaking, and generally shamed me. So, finally taped, wet

sanded with 4 levels of grit, used a plastic polisher with drill attachment, cleaned with alcohol, applied the 50/50 solution of Helsman and mineral spirits....all like yall said to do on this thread...and am amazed, pleased, and generally so proud of the results I point out to everyone "LOOK at my headlights!!" Now I have to do my mom's headlights, the neighbor's headlights......
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I gave up after 2 refinishes over the last few years. Went on Amazon and bought aftermarket de headlights to pull the lens. They fit perfectly on 06+ headlights, this time I wrapped it with 3m clear paint protection film. Just have to peel and replace it in a few years instead of sanding and buffing. Btw dead thread bounce.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

So I've hard using paint clear coat does not work that well in the long run. This stuff however is made for headlights and looks to be the bees knees. I have used it on all of my cars so far and it is brilliant:

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-23-2018, 04:24 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I used uv resistant clear coat on mine, it worked well for about a year then started flaking off, last year they looked horrible, this year the clear has mostly all flaked off and they are not that horrible.

I won't bother with clear coat again, ill check out that headlight coating next time my motivation gets up.