Notices

Converting a Mig To a Scratch start Tig

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Subd

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Converting a Mig To a Scratch start Tig

seen a video with a guy running a tig torch off a mig welder while back, been using the tig torch on my mig for awhile now, its scratch start, but it works, thought id posts some pictures of how to set it up, for those interested, haven't seen anyone show how to do it on any website,

tig torch with separate gas line

used vise crips to hold the dinse while I pulled the sleeve off the connector

take the bolt off that holds the dinse connector to the wire

put the plug on and crimp it,

hook up the gas line

hook the tig torch to DC- don't forget to hook up your ground clamp here its not shown plugged in,

you have to hook up your mig gun but don't put any wire into it just disable the wire

I used a clamp on the trigger, dial in your volts and start to tig weld

Old 09-21-2018, 05:37 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

interesting ... TIG DC only??
Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 PM
Subd

dc only you can weld aluminium but looks bad
Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

A old buddy said one can weld aluminum using DC if the material is cleaner than clean ...
Old 09-21-2018, 11:44 PM
Subd

its so annoying when people say "it can't be done" or "it won't work" if you google converting a mig to tig, so many forums with people saying why it can't be done, but obviously it can be done, I never thought of the idea of hooking up a tig torch to a mig someone else did, I seen it and I thought wow I can save money that was my first thought,
but that person hats off for creativity,

pertaining to your statement about welding aluminium with dc, "it can't be done" or "it won't work" I bet It can be done and look good, by the right person then he can make a video of how to do it so I can learn,

Last edited by Subd; 09-21-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Prius1Sentra0

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Subd
its so annoying when people say "it can't be done" or "it won't work" if you google converting a mig to tig, so many forums with people saying why it can't be done, but obviously it can be done, I never thought of the idea of hooking up a tig torch to a mig someone else did, I seen it and I thought wow I can save money that was my first thought,
but that person hats off for creativity,

pertaining to your statement about welding aluminium with dc, "it can't be done" or "it won't work" I bet It can be done and look good, by the right person then he can make a video of how to do it so I can learn,
Hi! DC Aluminum tig welding can absolutely be done. HOWEVER. It depends greatly on the series of aluminum, tungsten selection and obviously shielding gas. As we all know, most series of aluminum can't actually be welded, but I'm sure the OP knows his material. Also, DC will work but it won't have as good penetration as AC does, nor will it be as clean a weld or as easy a puddle to control. Awesome job with the adaptation of the MIG machine, post yer welds!