MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (DIY) (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-diy-459/)
-   -   How to make your own APS tire bands... (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-diy/186197-how-to-make-your-own-aps-tire-bands.html)

VO... 04-21-2006 07:08 AM

How to make your own tire bands for Air Pressure Sensors...

A while back I had a local shop lose one of my Air Pressure Sensor bands while they were refurbishing my wheels. To my surprise, this is not something that you can buy online like everything else. When I called the wheel manufacturer to order a new one, they told me they're custom made and would cost $85.00 each! To make a long story short I went and bought the supplies and tools at the local Home Depot, then made the bands myself. It's really cheap and the best part is, you get to keep the tools. Please don't post guys until I've finished uploading all the pictures. I will ask the mods to make this a sticky as well.

Thanks,
Val

VO... 04-21-2006 07:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some pictures of what the finished products look like. The band with large square holes is the band from HRE. The other band is the one I made.

VO... 04-21-2006 07:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You'll need to pick up a few bands at Home Depot. Thery're real cheap, under $2.00 each. Try and get the longest ones possible so you don't have to piece too many together. When the band is all attached and laid out, it should stretch just under 5 feet. This is of course, if you're planning on making the band for a 19 inch rim. Always take into consideration that the APS will have to be placed inbetween the band and the inner barrel of the rim, when making measurements on the circumference of the band.

VO... 04-21-2006 07:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
To connect the bands to each other, you'll have to cut the appopriate notch at one end of the band, then cut an "arrow" type end at the end of another band. I used 3 band total to make mine. Here's what the notch and "arrow" will have to look like. The tool in the picture is what you'll have to buy to complete the cut. The files are used to smoothen out rough edges. You will need the small file to complete the square notch. There's no way to get a cutting tool in that small space to make it wide enough. I basically cut the preforated pieces out, then filed the rough edges out.
*Note only one band will have the screw used to tighten the band up. The other band's tightening screws will have to be cut off.

VO... 04-21-2006 07:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Once the notches are cut out insert the mating edges together. I wrapped them in duct tape. This creates a smooth jointing point plus it keeps the band from coming apart when your trying to attach it to the rim.
Here are pictures of mine and a picture of the one that comes from HRE.

VO... 04-21-2006 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once everything is put together you'll tighten the band down to the rim using a flathead screw driver. Here's a close-up of the tightening screw.

VO... 04-21-2006 07:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
For those of you that haven't seen the APS, here's what it looks like. Notice that the valve and sensor are one piece. For a more flush and secure mount, you can cut the valve stem off with a hacksaw. It's real easy to cut since it's aluminum. This will not have any effect on the sensor's ability to read air pressure.

VO... 04-21-2006 08:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, now I'll tell you how to place the sensor on the inner wheel barrel when your ready to fasten it down with the band. Make sure the blue part of the sensor is facing up. The black part down. Notice there are 2 holes on the top of the sensor. The hole in the center is not important. The little hole in the corner is important. This is where the sensor measures air pressure through. Try not to place the band over this. Also, it is important to place something sitcky or abrasive between the band and the APS as well as between the APS and the rim. Double sided tape or a small piece of rubber bicycle inner tube works well. If you don't do this, when you hit a rough road or a hard bump, the APS may fall out of place. You don't want this to happen because it'll roll around inside the rim, knocking the balance of the tire out. This is very important!. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

VO... 04-21-2006 08:05 AM

Well that's it guys. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the APS already mounted to the rim.
*Note: When you mount the APS, make a mental note of where it is within the rim. I mounted mine behind the wheel's valve stem. You want to be able to tell the tire technician where the APS in case you have a flat or need your wheels worked on. He won't be able to see it when the tire is mounted and may damage it when he goes to remove the tire.

Have fun guys,
Val

Frankie_Z 04-21-2006 10:48 AM

nice info ty!...you may be able to make those band cuts with a dremmel also...maybe a little easier...maybe not.

VO... 04-21-2006 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie_Z
nice info ty!...you may be able to make those band cuts with a dremmel also...maybe a little easier...maybe not.

The tin shears work pretty good on the "arrow" shaped tips, but the other end sounds like it would benefit from a dremmel. I went the cheap route.:p

Stunner2xx 04-22-2006 10:04 AM

i have a question. my car has the stock 17's on there right now but i just bought some 19's. i wanted my tps on the new rims but i was wondering if i need 19 inch bands now or something like that? thanks

VO... 04-24-2006 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stunner2xx
i have a question. my car has the stock 17's on there right now but i just bought some 19's. i wanted my tps on the new rims but i was wondering if i need 19 inch bands now or something like that? thanks

stock rims do not have the tire bands inside. The APS are attatched to the stock valve stem on your OEM 17's. You will need tire bands for the 19's.

Gilley 04-26-2006 06:30 PM

Thanks for the writeup. I'm going to have to decide what to do about my pressure monitors when my new wheels come in next week.

Another option I learned about, if you just want to keep the light turned off on the dash, is to place all 4 monitors in a sealed and pressurized PVC tube and stash it in the rear. It will trick the monitors into thinking there is plenty of pressure. Of course, that removes all safety measures from the wheels.

ASTIG_Z 04-26-2006 06:51 PM

I wanted this for my car when I mounted my 19's. But you know what, I'll put them on when I flip my tires.

VO... 04-27-2006 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gilley
Thanks for the writeup. I'm going to have to decide what to do about my pressure monitors when my new wheels come in next week.

Another option I learned about, if you just want to keep the light turned off on the dash, is to place all 4 monitors in a sealed and pressurized PVC tube and stash it in the rear. It will trick the monitors into thinking there is plenty of pressure. Of course, that removes all safety measures from the wheels.

Good idea, but how would you pressurize the PVC pipe?

Gilley 04-27-2006 07:44 AM

I thought there must be some way to put a valve stem on it and air it up with a compressor, just like a tire. Of course, the PVC pipe will have to be airtight.

I still haven't decided if I want the safety features of strapping the TPM to the inside or just leave it off.

VO... 04-27-2006 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gilley
I thought there must be some way to put a valve stem on it and air it up with a compressor, just like a tire. Of course, the PVC pipe will have to be airtight.

I still haven't decided if I want the safety features of strapping the TPM to the inside or just leave it off.

I made the thread for people that wanted to keep their APS, but me personally, I only have the back ones attached. When ever I have a wheel worked on, I remove the sensor. They're too much of a hassle to deal with. Calibration, falling out of place, stupid lights going off, ect, ect. I'm happier checking my tire pressure the old fashioned way.

Espresso 04-27-2006 11:27 AM

Your DIY is great, it's just that you didn't use the correct band to prevent malfunctions. Connecting multiple shorter bands should be avoided. From the looks of it, HRE used this or a similar kit to make their bands.
I'll attempt to do this soon but will use your tips during my DIY.

VO... 04-27-2006 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Espresso
Your DIY is great, it's just that you didn't use the correct band to prevent malfunctions. Connecting multiple shorter bands should be avoided.

I agree. It's just hard to find bands long enough to make a 19 inch diameter. HRE uses 1 large band and 1 small tension band.
I use 2 bands plus 1 tensioning band. The extra band holds together sturdy, as long as you wrap the connecting point with a small piece of duct tape.