Notices

Manually Registering TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
LVZ053

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw those TPMS also on ebay and was not sure those would fit my 3 piece wheels even though they were adjustable. Ended up going to Discount tire and paying 20$ more for the ones they had. Figured if something ever goes wrong I can take it back to them. Supprised they installed it for free as it is quite a bit of work to insall them. Well for me it was since my car is super low and they had to band the sensors on. The first discont tired doing it through the OBD II which did not work. Had to go to a secound place where they had a "TPMS Expert" and he used this method which worked like a charm.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM
TracyE

I had Firestone replace a rear sensor that was not working on my '06. When they finished, neither rear sensor would read. They told me that their reset tool did not work because it "did not have the needed magnet" whatever that means.

Anyway, they said take it to a dealer to be reset. The dealer told me they charge $120 to "reprogram the system."

Will the procedure described in this thread work for my situation (a newly installed sensor) or is some sort of "reprogramming" necessary?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If the replaced sensor is a Nissan OEM sensor, then yes this method will work.

$120 is crazy. My dealer charged me $25 to do it. It takes less than 10 minutes. Find another dealer or try this method yourself.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

My dealer did the TPMS reset for free. I asked for a tech (skipped the service adviser altogether) to ask about the Consult-II and when the tech came out, I asked him if he could reset it real quick.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
TracyE

What is Consult-II?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM
taka91bc

This worked great. I never had tpms in my z until now. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:19 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyE
What is Consult-II?
It's the Nissan diagnostic system that hooks up to the car. It accesses the ECU, BCM and just about every other electronic system on the car.

The hardware and software are pricy and it's only dealers and a few big Nissan shops that actually have it.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 AM
Armlocker

Great post, I just installed the TPMS on my TE's and used this method perfectly. If theres anything I can add, it would be that for step "e", you have to START the car, not just turn it on. You can enter programming mode while ON, but it will exit when you start the engine to begin driving. So start the engine, then tap ground to activate learning mode. Very easy process, glad i didnt have to go to the stealership.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
w210e55

Hello everyone,

I tried this procedure and I get the blinking light for the TPMS and then went directly to Discount Tire to try to have them use there reset tool but it wouldn't work. Any suggestions? I'm hoping not to go to the stealership to get this done.

thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
LVZ053

When I went to Discount the tool they used first plugged into the OBD II port and that did not work. I went to another store and they pluged into the TPMS reset switch located under the passanger side dash. This did the trick. From what he told me the first step using the obd II updated the TPS numbers in my car and the second was a reset procedure so it can relearn the new TPS #s.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 PM
aasorah

I have my original tpms in my oem wheels which work fine. I bought another set of oem wheels and did them up right and painted them and they had 4 tpms that were on his z when he pulled them. I have then in the wheels right now. I tried this method for about an hr or so just like it said. I had the light flashing drove 5 to 10 minutes both grounded and ungrounded. I had it beep twice at a certain moment and i have no idea what caused it. Nonetheless i still have no tpms readings. I'm thinking the tpms may be dead but i do not want to go to the dealership. pay 50 bucks is what they were asking just to have them tell me there all broken.. Suggestions?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 PM
pedroosan

Works on a 2007 touring:
The connector is not easy to find, you need to be flexible and skinny if you don't want to take the plastic dashboard apart.
Basically lying on your back over the kickplate/seat with your head stuck under the passenger dashboard.
The connector is taped to another wire in the center of the passenger dashboard. Between ECU and big plastic fan or whatever that is. It's not very accessible or visible because it's pretty well covered by the dashboard trim.
The only white connector with 2 cavities and only a single white wire.
You won't see the wire unless you reach in with long scissors to cut the tape and then use some kind of stick or hook to get the connector pointing down towards you. The cable is not very long, so you still cannot put your fingers on the connector. Because it's facing down towards you, you take a normal sized (small) paper clip and plug it into the front of the plug (not like in the pictures here from the back where the wire goes in).

For me there was a stage where the TPMS light would blink before even doing anything. But somehow that went away after a couple of turn car on/off (without starting the engine just for testing the waters)
Once I had the state that the lamp would not blink at all, I started to test my paper-clip ground connection.
And sure enough, hitting the clip with the wire to ground it, maybe 5-6 times within 10 seconds made the TPMS light go from a steady on into a blinking mode.
Once I knew that this does something...
I started the car (like explained in this post)...
Then did the grounding and got the lamp to flash....

Then I drove maybe <5-10 minutes and heard a long loud beep.
After that the TPMS light went on (it was never off)
And it seemed the whole thing isn't working.
This try was on purpose without changing tire pressures.
Since it's a 2007 that AHHHHHH doesn't display actual PSI, I didn't want to bother in making each tire unique. Thinking the system will just pick any signal for any tire. All of them had enough pressure, the TPMS light was definitely going from flashing to steady, I did hear a BEEP never heard before and drove for 20min on the highway.
FAIL! My guess is that the system beeps to tell you that it won't do the registration because the tires are all having similar pressure or something.

So then I changed the pressure as specified here (although here left/right is swapped when compared to the 2007 service manual, but that just means that the original poster might have the lefts at the second line and the rights at the first line on the trip computer, or vice versa)

Then again, start engine, ground 5-6 times until TPMS light flashes.. then drove for at least 5-10min with speeds most of the time above 30-40
And NO BEEP, and the light didn't stop flashing....
I thought it isn't working...
Had too little air in one of the tires (30.5 instead of 31) thinking this might be a problem... went to a gas station tried to put exactly those values in 26, 29, 31, 34 ...
Then drove at least 10min and in my mind already gave up on it, when suddenly the light turned off (and no beeping).
After a while like the original poster said, the light came back on and sure enough it was because of the 26 in the rear tire.
Just put air in, and the system works...

SUMMARY:
2007: pain in the a.. to get to the connector
had to drive forever until it worked...
beeped when it didn't work, didn't beep when it worked.. ?
Maybe I overheard it..

EDIT:
Before you cut into the electrical isolation tape or protection that pretty much covers most of the cables there, to clarify:
The only tape I had to cut was blue, and clearly holding a white connector onto a black cable.. The blue tape is only wrapped around maybe twice and a quarter inch wide.. so not much to cut... to get the connector lose
And because it's between the plastic and trim, you can never reach in with you fingers and hold it... it's all through sticks and pins and scissors.. a bit MacGyver-ish... (for the 2007 touring coupe)

Last edited by pedroosan; 09-20-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 PM
SalmanZ

So TPMS isn't plug and play? :-x just bought some thanks for the thread
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 AM
talon49

Thank you so much, i fixed this problem in like 10 mins. the dealership had my car for an entire day and could not figure it out. Thank you so much.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:54 AM
slymmfitzyc

I'll be trying this soon, I always thought the sensors were bad
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
goracerx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pedroosan
Works on a 2007 touring:

SUMMARY:
2007: pain in the a.. to get to the connector
had to drive forever until it worked...
beeped when it didn't work, didn't beep when it worked.. ?
Maybe I overheard it..

EDIT:
Before you cut into the electrical isolation tape or protection that pretty much covers most of the cables there, to clarify:
The only tape I had to cut was blue, and clearly holding a white connector onto a black cable.. The blue tape is only wrapped around maybe twice and a quarter inch wide.. so not much to cut... to get the connector lose
And because it's between the plastic and trim, you can never reach in with you fingers and hold it... it's all through sticks and pins and scissors.. a bit MacGyver-ish... (for the 2007 touring coupe)
WhatTheFrack?

Houdini would have a hard time contorting like that. I spent at least an hour trying to find the plug. I found a green wire with tape which may have been hiding the plug in beige foam but I have an 08 GT and above it states the 07 uses a black wire. I tried to remove the dash (yeah right) but only found two screws, one of which is inside the A/C vent. I finally found what looked like a two wire plug blue taped to painted metal piece but since it was pointing strait down I inserted a paper clip but most likely in the wrong hole (slap) since I tried to ground to ECU bolt 5X and nothing. This is not possible to do!

$75 for stealer reset "if" they can do it. WTF do they mean "if"? I already spent $150 for an alignment because I thought it was under warranty.

Last edited by goracerx; 12-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
goracerx

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic panel and then the metal one under it to reach the plug as I am not a contorting little person with ET arms.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Busaboy

Default Toms reset

Thanks Darth- took twice on my 2003 but finally worked.
Too complicated for dealer even after they charged me $54.
I had "4" white connectors with green wires but lucked up n found v correct one on v first try
Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 PM
gt3

Thank you op! Just did this and it worked. I had to remove the passenger lower dash piece in order to get to the wire. I couldn't even see the cable until I did that.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
goracerx

Originally Posted by gt3
Thank you op! Just did this and it worked. I had to remove the passenger lower dash piece in order to get to the wire. I couldn't even see the cable until I did that.
Could you please tell me how you got the lower plastic peice off and did you remove the metal plate that is under it as well?

I was thinking I would have to remove the seat to be able to lay there long enough to find the connector as the egde of the seat was digging in to my back.

Quick Reply: Manually Registering TPMS