Notices

Whiteline Compression Rod Bushing Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:40 AM
meezusthegoat

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Whiteline Compression Rod Bushing Install

Hi All,

I've recently decided to install a set of Whiteline compression arm bushings on my Z but I'm having a hard time getting the collars out of the arm. I bought the arms to a shop that used a press but no matter what they tried the wouldn't budge. A couple of friends of mine who work on cars resorted to burning out the OEM bushing and even tried cutting the OEM collar out with a hacksaw. Since pressing the collar out didn't work in the first place and doing it now is gonna be impossible, Does anybody have any other tips/ tricks for getting these collars out of each arm? Or should I just keep cutting hoping it works? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline Compression Rod Bushing Install-image1-17-.jpg   Whiteline Compression Rod Bushing Install-image2-5-.jpg  
Old 11-06-2017, 05:32 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Just cut the metal race in 2 spots it will come right out.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:53 AM
meezusthegoat

I already tried cutting the collar in two places, still didn't work. I would've left the OE bushings in but I decided to upgrade to the white line because they're much more durable. The factory ones go bad too quickly
Old 11-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Vitamin_B12

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

i used a basic 6 ton shop press from Harbor Freight that you have to pump yourself to do all my front bushings. i would definitely not say they all came out with ease. it took a decent amount of strength to get them going. but the shop should have a pneumatic/hydraulic one, no?

also, you said hacksaw. while i did use a hacksaw to cut the lip off the upper A arm bushings (since it wouldn't fit under the press well), to cut through the race you are absolutely better off using an electric reciprocating saw, which is the weapon of choice for getting out the diff bushing. that can also be had for cheap from Harbor Freight

it looks like from the photo it is cut in 2 places, but sometimes it can be deceiving. when cutting my OEM diff bushing outer race out, once it was properly cut through in 2 spots, it would buckle inward and be very easy to tap out with a screwdriver/punch and hammer

good luck!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:20 AM
meezusthegoat

Alright thanks guys for the reply, I think I'm just going to take my arms to a shop so the new bushes can go in. In reality, its turning into a much bigger headache than I anticipated lol
Old 11-30-2017, 05:54 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Ill make a diy if you want. But I have a press. with a press and the right size adapter they press right out.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:56 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Whats your location in Connecticut? If your in the Enfield area I'm relatively close by, I could pop them out for you.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:18 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

The right tool makes short work of them.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:42 AM
meezusthegoat

Ty for the replies everyone I would've gotten a ball and cup set from harbor freight or somewhere else but since I took them to a shop once already and was unsuccessful in getting the collars out, so I figured there was no need to get a cup set because It probably wouldn't work lol. long story short I brought the arms to a performance shop to have the collars cut out. It shouldn't take long. I'm shocked at how much of a pain in the *** these bushings were since the arms I ordered were brand new.