Notices

DIY Brembo Caliper Rebild with photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts
Default DIY Brembo Caliper Rebild with photos

Here is how you rebuild the OEM Brembo calipers. Would would recommend OEM parts. They can be found at Z1 or your local dealer.
You will need both front and rear kit.
https://www.z1motorsports.com/front-...nt-p-5451.html
https://www.z1motorsports.com/rear-b...ar-p-5484.html

First step is to pull off the caliper and find a clear working space. I would recommend starting with the rears as they are easier and helps get your head around the process.

Diy Brembo rebuild by mhulbrock, on Flickr

Using compressed air, blast air into the brake hose inlet. Cover with a rag as this will get messy. Gloves are helpful here.

The trick here is to POP out both pistons at the same time. They will pop loudly so be ready. Put something in the middle so if one pops first it will not completely come out, leaving air pressure inside to pop the other out.
This will take a few tries, if you pop one side simply place is back in the caliper and try again.

Using a small pick remove the inside seals. DO NOT USE any tool that will mar the piston walls.

Lube up the new seals with brake fluid and place them inside.

Lube up the dust boots and get them around the piston

Lube up the pistons with brake fluid and press them in with your hands. It will be tight.

If you cannot get them in use a c clamp. DO NOT FORCE THEM IN.

The fronts are the same exact method, just a little more tricky. The hard part is getting all 4 to pop at the same time. Just keep at it and use a c clamp to hold already popped pistons in place to get the others to budge.

NOTE THE FRONT HAS TWO DIFFERENT PISON SIZES.
Make sure you are using the correct seal for the correct piston size.
The following 3 users liked this post by Blurvision:
35th4me (12-30-2015), JBJ (12-31-2015), RobPhoboS (04-23-2019)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:42 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

You hit the basic points, except for cleanliness. Why not get the calipers as clean as possible before disassembly, and make sure all your parts and hands are impeccably clean during reassembly? A tiny piece of grit in the bore can seize a piston.

Last edited by dcains; 12-31-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: iPad spell-correct typo
Old 12-31-2015, 12:52 PM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes keep everything clean! My calipers look nasty but you can be careful and wash everything down with new brake fluid while doing the rebuild.

Answer to a question I received VIA PM.

Yes if you leave the lines open, cap or not, the res will drain. The kit comes with new bleed nipple covers. Rip off the old ones and pull back the threaded end of the brake line. You can the squeeze the end of the old caps onto the line to stop the flow of fluid.

Personally, I just let it drain out. I rebuild during the off season and need to replace all the fluid any ways.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:04 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on what "clean" means, but I'm a nurse and I'm used to sterile procedures.

Don't let your brake fluid run dry. Do search and see how many threads have been posted here about trouble getting air out of the system after letting it drain. When I take my calipers off, I cap the lines and after getting everything back together I can bleed the system with less than a pint of fluid and no troubles with my pressure bleeder. That's not to say I don't do a complete flush when needed.