MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Suspension FAQ and Reviews! (tech info, tuning, and reviews) (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/112798-suspension-faq-and-reviews-tech-info-tuning-and-reviews.html)

dank311 03-03-2005 05:13 PM

Suspension FAQ and Reviews! (tech info, tuning, and reviews)

Over the past year I’ve seen plenty of reviews in the performance section here on the boards about exhausts, intakes, and most of all F/I systems. Many of these detailed threads have more than 15-20 pages of great information. Some of the posts contain misinformation or useless replies, but there are also plenty of quality discussions that greatly help the Z community with their technical knowledge as well as their buying decisions. I have been researching suspension for my Z even before I got it. During my many months of research I have noticed the lack of knowledge and the lack of technical reviews for suspension setups. So I decided to help the Z community out by starting an organized way of submitting suspension reviews. But the main objective of this is to provide detailed technical information that could benefit everyone in their buying decisions, and aid them in the tuning of their own suspension. I was going to start this for coilovers only, but if you would like, please post any other review you have on other suspension parts as well! If you have already posted a review, an updated review would be great to really comprehend the overall performance and reliability over longer periods of time. Also, I have to give props to Z1 Auto, AutoRnD, LosingGripII, and GSedan35 for helping and answering many questions!

VERY IMPORTANT! :
First, EVERYONE should realize that suspension has too many variables to list and not one product may feel the exact same on two different cars. With all the adjustability coilovers have, it is really almost impossible to compare a coilover setup on another car with different suspension mods, LSD, wheels/tires, tire pressure, temperatures, weight reduction, etc. With that being said, this should not be a taken as if it will transform your car the way you want it to behave. BUT, this FAQ can be a VERY useful tool if used as more of a guide to get you in the right direction. This can be a excellent starting point for some, and then make fine tuning easier on your particular car. It could also be a guide for people looking to buy suspension that need technical information from others to find out what will be best for their particular needs.

The reviews should be very detailed and as technical as possible. It is very important to go into detail about the changes in the car’s driving characteristics over stock. This way, it can be easily compared for people who have been riding on stock suspension thus far. If anyone has had the chance to drive on numerous sets of coilovers, then PLEASE go into detail about the different driving impressions that you could observe from their different setups. (I know most people haven’t had this chance, but some people in bigger cities can drive friends cars with other suspension setups, as well as shop owners that have the opportunities to drive customer’s cars.)

Reviews:
Here are some things to consider when writing reviews. Once again, its very important to use this as a starting point, not a dead end result. Remember that other parts of the suspension will make a significant change on the ride and performance of the handling as well.

Adjustability/Features/Ease of use/Quality and Design:

Single/Double height adjustability (spring preload and height adjustable)

Shock Construction (Monotube/Twin Tube)?
Inverted shocks?

Adjustable Damper (Y/N)? If so, how many increments can the dampener be adjusted? How does each increment feel? Can you feel the different between one click, or does it take 2-3 clicks to really feel a difference? (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY: some 30+ way adjustments are used for marketing tools to make you believe there is more adjustability in their shock, but really it could only be felt in 12 different adjustments, so what you thought is a 30 way adjustable damper is really only 12 way.)

How do you adjust the shock? (tool, knob, etc) Are there numbers representing the amount of stiffness that the shock is set on?

Any thoughts or opinions on the quality and design should also go here. The design of certain parts like the pillowball upper mounts, spring/shock perches, threaded length on body, mounting designs, piston diameter, helper springs, materials used, etc…
For example, there was a great review on the 240sx forums a while back when I used to own an S14, comparing Tein He’s to JIC Magic FLT-A2’s…There were detailed pics of every part on the coil over. The pictures showed that some of the parts used on the JIC where beefier, stronger, and of better quality.

Comfort/daily drivability aspects:

How comfortable is the ride on the street?

Obviously you will give up smooth riding for better handling, but as many should know, some shocks that are properly valved to the spring rates, the ride can be smoother while having better handling (being stiffer) than one with a poorly matched shock and spring. Including different circumstances here also helps in understanding the drive quality. Some circumstances should include how the ride behaves over bumps in a straight line at low speeds VS high speeds, or while cornering over bumps or uneven/wavy pavement. Also, discuss any noises or other annoying problems that you might have that could affect daily drivers.

Performance aspects:

This is of course the most important part of the review that has been the most lacking in the past reviews that I have read. Here we want to talk about how the coilovers compare in driving characteristics to the stock suspension. If applicable, compare the coilovers to a past set that you might have had, or to a set on a friends/customer’s car that you may have had the opportunity to drive. In this part of the review its very important to thoroughly discuss the characteristics of the car, by this I mean discussing the behavior of the car: the way the car turns in, accelerates through corners, stability in corners/and at high speeds, weight transfer, response, the limits of the suspension over stock, and most importantly over steer/under steer. Another thing you could list here is your other suspension mods that might have an effect on the feel of the car along with the coilovers. Things such as different wheels/tires, alignment, sways, etc will greatly effect the behavior of the car. By listing them you can give other readers a better understanding of what is effecting the cars handling.

*Technical Info You NEED To Know About Suspension:*
***Credit and Appreciation to Whiteline for their excellent products and great info in these articles***
(Don’t for get to go down to the bottom and push next page for the rest of the articles…most of them have several pages!)

Shocks FAQ
Springs FAQ
Sway Bars FAQ
Wheel Alignment FAQ
Wheels and Tires FAQ
Excellent Coilover Article! (6 pages)
General Info on Suspension
Good Article on Suspension Vs. Cost
Tuning and Diagnosing Suspension Setups
Nismo S-Tune Suspension Review
Tein Flex Review
KW Variant 3 Review
Nismo S-tune Review (and sways)
HKS Hipermax II Review
HKS Hipermax II Review
HKS Hipermax II Review
Cusco Zero 2 Review

All this info is the basic information you need to know about suspension. This pretty much covers all the general suspension information that I can find for the moment. I was going to initially take the time and write out this stuff, but I remembered Whiteline’s FAQ on their site from when I bought their sub frame bushings for my S14. Another huge thanks to Whiteline!

Since most of the general suspension knowledge should be comprehended from the above articles, it would be great to focus this thread mostly on suspension topics pertaining to the Z/G community. Whether its certain setups/settings, driving impressions and reviews on suspension products, or tuning and diagnosing the Z/G’s suspension and its characteristics.

Jon

dank311 03-03-2005 05:24 PM

The following is a compiled list with minor corrections from GSedan35
He did a great job on getting together the list of spring rates and other information on this list.

OEM springs
Front:314 Rear:342

Tein Flex (twin tube construction, adjustable dampeners
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
672/672 F+114% R+98
Transfers +16% roll stiffness to front
Damper Adjustability: 16-way Adjustability
Side Note: Extremely high spring rates mean even when the adjustable damping is set as low as possible, you may not find ride quality happiness, several reports of this setups harshness exist Yet a few owner comment’s of a “like stock ride quality” also exist. However given the fact that they use a spring stiffness that’s over 100% stiffer then oem, if ride quality is of concern, either hitch a ride in a car equipped with them or make a different choice. In addition, several review’s have been done by people actually having the original more softly sprung Tein Flex coilovers do not take their comments to mean the same as the one using the current product, the original product specs are listed below under Tein Flex JDM.

Tein Flex JDM specs (can be special ordered est 6-8 weeks delivery)
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
560/560 F+78% R+64%
Transfers 14% roll stiffness to front
Damper Adjustability: 16-way Adjustable
Side Note: This is the original specs first offered in the U.S. with the Flex, shortly after it’s introduction the specs changed to those listed further above (672/672)

Tein Basic (twin tube construction, non adjustable dampeners )
504/504 F+61% R+43%
Transfers +18% roll stiffness to front
Side Note: Excellent value at it’s price point, some very good reviews have been done by users of this coilover system.

Tein SS (twin tube construction, adjustable dampeners )
(JDM only at this time. 6-8 weeks delivery, come via ship)
392/314-392 (rear’s are progressive)
F+25% R+15% at peak

Tein CS (Monotube construction, adjustable dampeners )
Side Note: A comfort ride system compare to HKS LS
392/392 F+25% R15%
Transfers +10% roll stiffness to front
Special Note: I had a conversation with Tein about this coilover. I called because I had a hunch that the comfort tuning designed into the system would prevent me from getting the dampening stiffness I wanted. When I told him I wanted a system that would be valved stiffer then oem 350Z shocks, he did not believe they were setup to do that. Revalving them would be $300 or so PER! dampener.

Buddy Club Racing Spec coilovers (Monotube construction, adjustable dampening)
748/280*
(very likely run's rear springs on the dampener body and not at the oem rear spring location)

Jic Flta-2 350Z fitment (Monotube construction, adjustable dampening)
Piston Size: 40mm
Damper Adjustability: 15-way adjustable
Special Note: This setup is known for it’s street ride harshness, but also for track performance
560/672 F+78% R+98%
Transfers +20% roll stiffness to rear

Jic Flta-2 G35 coupe (Monotube, adjustable dampening)
560/560 F+78% R+64% $1750
Transfers 14% roll stiffness to front

Jic Flta-2 G35 sedan (Monotube, adjustable dampening)
504/392 F+61% R+15%
Transfers +46% roll stiffness to front

Cusco Zero 1&2 (Monotube, 1=non adjustable dampener, 2=adjustable dampener)
560/392 F+78% R+15%
Damper adjustability: (for Zero2’s only) 5-way adjustable
Transfers +63% roll stiffness to front (no they do not run their rear springs on the dampener body, oem location, seen them on the car with my own eyes.)
Side Note: That’s a awful lot of spring stiffness to move to the front

Bilstein PSS coil over (Monotube construction, non adjustable dampeners)
Special Note: Mild spring rates, but Bilstein says the dampeners are performance valved
370/240-420 (rear progressive) F +18% R +23% (at peak rear spring rate)
Transfers +5% roll stiffness to rear
Piston Size: 46mm
Special Note: Very easy to ditch the rear progressive springs that come with the Bilsteins (I would) Eibach sell's linear 5" O.D. springs that you can swap in, $100 for the pair.

Bilstein PSS9 coilover (Monotube construction, adjustable dampeners)
Special Note: Mild spring rates, but Bilstein says the dampeners are performance valved
370/240-420 (rear progressive) F +18% R +23% (at peak rear spring rate)
Transfers +5% roll stiffness to rear
Piston Size: 46mm
Damper adjustability: 9-way adjustable
Special Note: Very easy to ditch the rear progressive springs that come with the Bilsteins (I would) Eibach sells linear 5" O.D. springs that you can swap in, $100 for the pair.

ATTENTION! HKS will be opening a U.S. service center very shortly, allowing for service and repair on their coilovers here, without sending them to Japan.

HKS LS+ G35 Coupe (Monotube construction, adjustable dampeners)
504/448 +58%front +29% (rear springs are progressive)
transfers 29% roll stiffness to the front
Side Note: Tuned more aggressively then the LS.
Special Note: This G35 coupe version, while transferring roll stiffness to the front vs the same 350Z version, does actually use stiffer valving in it's dampeners then the Z version.

HKS LS+ 350Z (Monotube construction, adjustable dampeners)
448/448 43%front +31%
transfers 12% roll stiffness to the front
Side Note: Tuned more aggressively then the LS, but not to the RS level, in spite of the RS actually using softer spring rates. Special Note: This 350Z version does not transfer as much roll stiffness to the front as the G35 version, but does use softer valving specs in it's dampeners.

HKS LS G35 (Monotube construction, non adjustable dampeners)
448/336 F +43% R -1%
transfers 44% roll stiffness to the front
Special Note: A comfort ride system, compare to Tein CS coilover

HKS LS 350z (Monotube construction, non adjustable dampeners)
448/448 F43% R+31%
transfers 12% roll stiffness to the front
Special Note: A comfort ride system, spring rates make better sense then same G35 application, compare to Tein CS

HKS HIPERMAX II (Monotube construction, adjustable dampeners)
504/504 F+61% R+47%
transfers 14% roll stiffness to the front
Damper Adjustability: 30-way Adjustable
Special Note: sprung and valved to be HKS’s most aggressive product, it is a notch above the RS coil over on the track, compare to Tein Flex and Jic coilovers

HKS RS (Monotube construction, adjustable dampening)
448/448 F+43% R+31%
Transfers 12% roll stiffness to the front
Damper Adjustability: 30-way Adjustable
Special Note: “Marketed” as HKS’s track coil over with a good street ride, it is more aggressive then the HKS LS+ and does not transfer as much spring stiffness to the front.

Zeal function V6 coilover (Inverted Monotube construction, adjustable dampener) $2855
560/448 F+78% R+31%
Transfers +47% roll stiffness to front
Damper Adjustability: 6-way Adjustable

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC
Twin tube damper
Helper Spring: Yes

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC II
Twin Tube damper
Helper Spring: No

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S
Twin Tube damper
Helper Spring: Yes
Damper Adjustability: 4-way front/ 8-way Rear Adjustable

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-S II
Twin Tube damper
Helper Spring: No
Damper Adjustability: 4-way front/ 8-way Rear Adjustable

KW coilovers Variant's 1,2&3
Monotube construction, V1=non adjustable dampening, V2=adjustable damping, V3=separate adjustability for compression damping AND rebound damping and is the only product of it’s kind at this time.
Front: 485lbs to 525Lbs Rear: 240Lbs to 548Lbs (progressive springs)

D2 Racing Coilovers (Monotube)
840/728 F+168% R+113% (wee bit stiff eh, the recommended rate to)
Transfers 55% roll stiffness to front
Side Note: Only known application of this coilover was by a vendor wishing to sell it, upon installation it was determined that the ride quality was so poor that they were pulled from the car and any idea of carrying the product was shelved.

Kg/mm DNA coilovers (Monotube construction, adjustable dampeners)
840/280*+
JDM only at this time, $2700+
These look like they are made by buddy club.
*They use rear springs on the rear coil over bodies AND a progressive spring in the oem location. The best I can get translating is that the progressive spring adds 200lbs to the rear rate.

Other coil over available:
Esprit
Quantum
Aragosta
Kei Office
Veilside
Ohlins
Blitz
PROs engineering
Mines
GAB
Racing Gear

MORE TO COME!!!
Jon

MY350Z.COM 03-03-2005 05:25 PM

stuck

dank311 03-03-2005 06:47 PM

JIC Magic FLTA2 Review
Cusco Zero 2 Review (and sways)
Cusco Zero 2 Review!
Options Magazine Coilovers Comparison (HKS, Aragosta, Tein)

Losing Grip II 03-13-2005 05:46 AM

dank311-

should we make new threads about our suspensions experiences and opinions or should we create new thread under the suspension category?

just wondering. i just recently installed my 350evo.com suspension package and find i can now do a fair assessment on how each individual suspension part on my car work and relates to corresponding peices that ive added. (basically, i couldn't write an assessment on any specific peice, for the sole reason that i hadn't had an alignment yet. as we all know, an alignment can sometimes be the best suspension mod in terms of price VS handling)

john

dank311 03-13-2005 11:29 AM

yea, you can start posting here or in the suspension part of the forum..It doesn't really matter...once I see new reviews, I will organize them and post them like the ones above..But, I find that its pretty sad that the majority of the Z community doesnt share alot about suspension. Thats the whole reason I created this thread; so people could learn the basics and then carry on intelligent conversations about the the technical and specific suspension information pertaining to the Z/G...I hope people will really start to learn how important each component is, and how it effects the characteristics of the car. If we can all gain this knowledge, we can then communicate and share opinions and different tuning techniques to get the results that each particular person is looking for.
Also, anyone who has already done a review on their suspension, please do an updated review. Most people do the review right when the install, but a few weeks to months later, changes might be made, alignment, wheel/tires, etc...soo its important to understand how the suspension is coping with everything else, while still maintaining the characteristics that you are after, as well as quality/reliability issues.
Also, if people will start posting reviews here, I will comment on certain things so we can start discussing more about the technical and specific information for the Z.

Also, anyone else that has alot of experience with suspension, chime in and dont be afraid to start discussions on anything pertaining to the Z's suspension, or aftermarket products.

Jon

Losing Grip II 03-13-2005 01:57 PM

REVEIW COMING!!

must eat food and take aleve- massive headache. then i will proceed to self medicate myself in the corner of my room while listening to britney spears and boys 2 men hahah

john

GY-Z 03-15-2005 12:10 PM

here is a quick review on the zeal function v6.
the ride is firm but not harsh, adjustablilty isnt very wide with the 6 way adjustable.
difference bewtween softest setting and hardest setting is very noticable, but not as much as HKS Hypermax 2 i've been ride in.
it definitly give me faster conner at tight conner on the track, but exiting apex with full throtle or throttle steering, the car tends to understeer.
going to revalve the rear shock end of this year with spring rate 13kg/mm(currently front10 rear 8).i'll post another review when the revavling is done.
help this helped.

Losing Grip II 03-15-2005 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by GY-Z
here is a quick review on the zeal function v6.
the ride is firm but not harsh, adjustablilty isnt very wide with the 6 way adjustable.
difference bewtween softest setting and hardest setting is very noticable, but not as much as HKS Hypermax 2 i've been ride in.
it definitly give me faster conner at tight conner on the track, but exiting apex with full throtle or throttle steering, the car tends to understeer.
going to revalve the rear shock end of this year with spring rate 13kg/mm(currently front10 rear 8).i'll post another review when the revavling is done.
help this helped.

very nice ride. love the exhuats and those coilovers.

john

Losing Grip II 03-15-2005 12:38 PM

Reveiw:
Hotchkis Sways-
These bars are very inexpensive. however, despite their price, these bars exhibit qualities of that of a more expensive set of sway bars. I have the front set to soft and the rear set to medium. Driving with these sway bars totally changed how the car drove. I have much more confidence when going into turns and corners at high speeds. They also keep the car very level and allow for a nice ride. These bars are also light weight.
Tein Basic- Basic should be the key word here. They are a cheap set of coilovers but provide great performance for their price. However, i have decided to sell these in the future. These are great for people looking for high springs rates and matched shocks. The negatives about these coilovers would be that they are loud (squeeky), very little adjustability, and made from steel (not light weight). I would suggest the Tein Flex for people looking to track there car or to have much more adjustability. I will be buying JIC in the future. I have JIC coilovers installed on my S2000 and Supra. They are made from aluminum, make no noise, allow for adjustments in rebound, shock rate, and height. These coilovers are also show car peices. However, they are pretty expensive and customer service is nonexisitant.
350evo Suspension Package- These are beautiful peices. They are also thee most expensive. They allow for adjustments in camber + or -. The arms seem to look like they were machine as they are no welds. The camber and trailing arms in the rear do have welds but aren't very visible. The bushings, plastic to metal, allow for ease of movement but need to be lubricated or they will make a very loud squeeky noise.

Level of Install-
Hotchkis Sway Bars- Easy 45mins.
Tein Coilovers- Medium- 2-4 hours.
350Evo Suspension Package- Medium/Hard- 4-5 hours.

Prices-

Hotchkis Sways- 300 (shipped) - Hopupracing.com
Tein Basic Coilovers- 800 (shipped) - Hopupracing.com
350Evo Suspension Package- 1597.00 (shipped)- 350Evo.com

feel free to ask any questions.

hope this helps.

john

dank311 03-16-2005 09:13 AM

Nice reviews, keep em coming!

GY-Z:
I would love to hear more about the Zeal coilovers you have...also could you go more into how they compared with the HKS Hipermax II's?(performance, features, ride quality on street, etc..)
thanks,
Jon

Losing Grip II 03-16-2005 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dank311
Nice reviews, keep em coming!

GY-Z:
I would love to hear more about the Zeal coilovers you have...also could you go more into how they compared with the HKS Hipermax II's?(performance, features, ride quality on street, etc..)
thanks,
Jon

whats was i thinking when i bought Tein. :icon02:

john

dank311 03-16-2005 07:42 PM

I dunno man..hehe. I made the same mistake on my first set of coilovers for my 240sx. :icon22:
Every coilover I had after that was marginally better..hehe. Tein isnt that bad; I mean they have their market for their price range. But, I definately wouldn't go that route again.
Jon

Losing Grip II 03-16-2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by dank311
I dunno man..hehe. I made the same mistake on my first set of coilovers for my 240sx. :icon22:
Every coilover I had after that was marginally better..hehe. Tein isnt that bad; I mean they have their market for their price range. But, I definately wouldn't go that route again.
Jon

if i see another Tein coilover it will be too soon. however, i do want to ride in a Z with maybe the Flex or SS coilovers,see how much better they are compared to my Basics.

john

hfm 04-12-2005 02:37 PM

RSR Ti2000 - 350EVO Sway Set - Koni Sport Yellow

Adjustability/Features/Ease of use/Quality and Design

The 350EVOs have three settings, I opted for the middle setting. Koni Sport Yellows are adjustible with a knob. I opted for the lowest setting which is stiffer than stock. The RSRs are not adjustible.

The quality of the Konis, RSRs and 350EVO swaybars are top notch.

Comfort/Daily Drivability/Performance

My Z is a daily driver. I take canyon roads daily. There is some loss in comfort however, bounce has been reduced. Most noticable is the fact that body roll is substantially improved. The 350EVO sway bars really work well in keeping the Z level especially in tight curves. The differences is dramatic, I would say that we're talking about shaving off seconds at a track just because of your ability to enter into and more importantly, to exit out of the curve at higher speeds.

The ride is generally comfortable. Obviously I'm giving up the smoother ride for better handling. I notice every bump and flaw of the road but I don't notice substantial increase in fatigue from the new set up. Bumps and potholes aren't as friendly for the new shocks but the feedback is good.

RSR downsprings lower the center of gravity and produce better looks. There was slightly noticable performance improvement.

Koni Sport Yellows and 350EVOs were installed concurrently. I have to say that the Konis and RSRs compliment each other very well. The 350EVO Sway Bar set is simply outstanding. I can certainly see that they were designed by race tested pros. They are solid and keep the Z very well planted. Traction in turns are now limited only by the wheels and tires. Even with stock wheels, it's very clear that the sways are an exceptional performance improving modification. Of the three suspension modifications, I would have to say that if you're only going to do one thing, I'd recommend the sways over everything else.

The Vendors
The Konis and sways were ordered from 350EVO. The RSRs were ordered through StreetImage. There was a 9 day delay due to BJ being sick. I was upset about the delay however, BJ was stand up in not charging for 3 day delivery.

Conclusions

I highly recommend the 350EVO sways. I give this component an A+. I recommend the Koni Sport Yellows and give this component an A. I also recommend the RSRs and also give this component an A. StreetImage gets an A+ for pricing and installation. 350EVO gets an A+ for producing an extremely high quality swaybar and an A- for service.

Losing Grip II 05-11-2005 01:58 PM

D2 Coilovers Reveiw

5 Attachment(s)
D2 Coilovers Reveiw.

Well it was time to go shopping again. I decided to get a new set of coilovers and had my eye on a set of JIC coilovers. My Tein Basics were a great upgrade to my Z, from stock, but i just needed more edge on the suspension. The Basics felt very... "iffy". Aside from that, they were loud, required constant mait., non adjustable, heavy, and a bit on the soft side.

So after a crazy day of debating i bought a set of D2 Coilovers for 1109.00. Yes ill admit i was a little skidish about these coilovers- its not everyday you get features on the D2 for a price closer to other coilovers that could only adjust height.

anyhow heres the review enjoy...

D2 Coilovers
36 Way Adjustable (rebound/ compression 50/50)
Aluminum Bodies, Spring Seats and Perches
Pillow Ball Mounts
CNC (almost no welds)
Height Adjustable
Servicable in the US
One -Year Warranty
Teflon Coated
Linear Springs Rates (800+f, 700+r)
1109.oo

With these first five pictures look at the difference in size and quality when you compare the D2 to the Tein Basics. (now this doesnt mean all other Teins will appear similiar, in fact any other coilovers has similiar features to the D2, only they are more expensive.)

Losing Grip II 05-11-2005 02:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These coilover weight considerably less than the Teins. I figure i lost more weight from the rear when i did the rear coilover install. the pictures do all the speaking, the rears are my fav!:)

Losing Grip II 05-11-2005 02:14 PM

After i finished the install, i hated them!!! omg they were horrible. however after a day of driving they gradually got better. These coilovers are considerablly stiffer than the Tein Basics. i had the front shocks set to two turns from soft and four turns from hard. there are no notches like with Teins or JICs, however, the adjustment tools both rod and key nut matched up perfectly. i sent the rear to two and oen quarter turns from soft and three and three quarter turns to hard. i assume that with the more compression you add the less rebound you get. they are match 50/50, so all soft is 100% rebound and 0% compression , visa versa.

after a week went by i got my alignment done. actually i didnt get it done, i did it. i also corner balanced the beast as well. with the alignment tools still on the car and a full tank of gas, the weight read 3410lbs. now keep in might this has a full tank of gas and each alignment reading tool that attaches to the wheels is about 15-20lbs each. since they were wireless i didnt have to worry about the wires much but doing an alignment on my car, with me, on the ground, lots of fun!!! thank god we had AC. when the corner balancing was done there a difference of 2lbs between the two front and 14lbs difference in the rear. the right side was set to being a little heavier because of the driver.

After i did that, omg!!! the ride is incredible. it went from night to day. my Z now felt close to what my S2000 feels like with the JICs (set to all soft). i was in heaven and very happy with my purchase, this was actually very assuring haha.

For reference these are the weight before and after the corner balancing.

Front/Left- 874 before- 908 after.
Front/Right- 943 before - 910 after.
Rear/Left- 826 before - 790 after
Rear/Right- 765 before -804 after.

thank you! hope you enjoyed that.

john

GY-Z 05-11-2005 04:30 PM

first review on these coilovers, nice write up.

D'oh 07-13-2005 10:13 PM

Just had Hotchkis Sways and Koni Sport Yellows installed by Z Car Garage in San Jose, CA.

The sways are set @ Medium in Front and Soft in Rear. The Shocks are full soft.

My car feels brand new!! I had 61,000 miles when I had the parts installed, and my steering was becoming slightly vague and imprecise. Now, the steering feels very accurate and tight, with very little play in the wheel. The cornering is much, much more balanced. The car feels as though it glides through the corner with much less effort than it did before. Understeer has been reduced by a significant amount, and this makes the car feel more lively and quicker to change direction. In long sweeping corners, the car takes a set more readily than before, and tracks thru the corners more accurately, without sliding around as much. Overall, I am very impressed with the cornering.

The ride quality has dropped IMO, though. To me, the shocks feel too soft, with the rebound underdamped. Large bumps seem to cause the car to bounce an extra time. I'm hoping that an increase in the rebound damping will improve the feel over large bumps. For small, high speed bumps, the ride seems to have improved marginally (which is part of the reason I feel that perhaps the shocks are underdamped).

I have an AutoX on Sunday, and I'll be running at my current settings to see how the car feels when it's at the limit. On Wednesday I'm having a Stoptech 13" front kit installed, and I'll adjust my shocks to 1/2 stiff @ that time. I'll try to remember to update the review.

Overall, I give the sways an A+ and the shocks a preliminary grade of a C. I'll update the shock grade after I play around with the settings a bit and get a better feel for the range of adjustment.

-D'oh!