Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tire/rim/suspension questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:55 AM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire/rim/suspension questions!

I've been a member of this board for a while. I've had my 350z since '03, and I have kept it completely stock so far. Rather than adding exhuast, intake, headers, turbo, etc., it seems to me the first problem I encounter with the car is tires. I will be autoxing my car again this summer and I want to upgrade some things.

First off, I have the 18" rims now, which I want to replace soon for some lighter weight and nicer looking rims. I forgot the stock widths but I think they are 9.5 in the back and 9.0 in the front? What opinions does everyone have on either staying or changing the stock widths? Also, is the stock offset the most optimal offset regarding handling or has anyone found a better offset?

Second, I'm looking for some sticky tires that would be good for both the street and the track. I'm sick of not getting any traction. I know how to feather the clutch and get a decent launch just in case i'm racing someone side by side, but I don't want to try that hard! I want something that sticks, and sticks GOOD! Seems to me that better tires would make the Z a faster car. Seems to me like the Z could compete way better with EVOs and the like if it could just deliver power to the ground better.

Lastly, although I'm concerned mostly with cornering, I am sick of wheel hop. What could I do suspension-wise to alleviate this problem, also while improving cornering?

I know there are multiple threads on these issues, but I wanted to economize it into one thread for an easier read. I would really appreciate any advice.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:57 PM
phile

Nuttin?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:26 PM
sbcbaseball

1)As far as rims go its preference i have 9 inch in front and 10.5 in bck, i figure the more rubber the better.definetly better then stock
2) Tires,well i just orded michelin ps2..they are pricey but based on all the research i have done they are incredible in dry and wet conditions.
3) As far as handling goes i would purchase some coilovers and sways. these mods with proper adjstmnt will make your z feel like you can take any turn.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:10 PM
phile

Would the wider tires and the coilovers and sways eliminate wheel hop? If a launch isn't feathered properly the wheelhop is so bad it sound like i'm using the car as a jackhammer. Even in auto-x events (at some of the smaller tracks), a decent launch actually helps my times. When I play around and race my buddy in his evo, it's gotta be a perfect launch otherwise I might as well give up.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:33 AM
sbcbaseball

It wont eliminate but willl alleviate some wheel hop.Our cars can be pretty hard to launch (trust me i have tilton clutch)so as u said u must time it perfect. what the coilovers will do for u is give u the ability to soften your rear of car so it can sit and grab.you also might want to lower your tire pressure if you are dragging.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:31 AM
phile

I'm mostly interested in changing settings for road courses and auto-x. I drag infrequently, but when I do the wheel hop drives me nuts. :P