MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Difference b/w Brembo and regular brake stopping distance? (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/12231-difference-b-w-brembo-and-regular-brake-stopping-distance.html)

JJH 11-26-2002 08:23 PM

Difference b/w Brembo and regular brake stopping distance?

I'd like to know if there is a difference between the brembos and the regular brakes in terms of stopping distance. Have the magazines given any numbers for a base, or have they only tested the track model?

sdpearso 11-27-2002 07:56 AM

I haven't seen a comparo but I've heard that the stopping distance isn't the benefit of the track model...t's the performance during hard use (track) such as better cooling resulting in less brake fade.

John 11-27-2002 09:19 AM

The Brembos will stop shorter than the regular brakes since the pad has a larger contact area on the surface. However, the difference won't be as noticable as it will be after repeated 100+ mph stops on the track... No brake fade is good...

Chebosto 11-27-2002 09:22 AM

Yup!

dont you just LOVE beefy brakes?

my brembos on the maxima didnt even fade after like 30 laps on at buttonwillow!!!

pitty the brake pads dust so much..

Originally posted by sdpearso
I haven't seen a comparo but I've heard that the stopping distance isn't the benefit of the track model...t's the performance during hard use (track) such as better cooling resulting in less brake fade.

MannishBoy 11-27-2002 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Hedonist
The Brembos will stop shorter than the regular brakes since the pad has a larger contact area on the surface. However, the difference won't be as noticable as it will be after repeated 100+ mph stops on the track... No brake fade is good...
I doubt they stop significantly shorter (more than a foot or two) on the first stop. The reason is that in the end, your tire contact patch is what stops you. The standard brakes have enough capacity to stop the car probably near to the edge of the tires abilities.

The real advantage of the Brembos is their ability to stay cooler due to their size, etc. That is what reduces the fade.

raceboy 11-27-2002 07:10 PM

Originally posted by MannishBoy
I doubt they stop significantly shorter (more than a foot or two) on the first stop. The reason is that in the end, your tire contact patch is what stops you. The standard brakes have enough capacity to stop the car probably near to the edge of the tires abilities.

The real advantage of the Brembos is their ability to stay cooler due to their size, etc. That is what reduces the fade.

Exactly! More than likely they are dead equal from 1 stop, but do as little as 2 or three 80-0's in a row, and watch the non Brembo's quickly fade away.