Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

seperating front suspension, ball joint puller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:32 AM
JonathanG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seperating front suspension, ball joint puller?

how do i seperate the A arm ball joint from the the rest of the suspension. I guess I need a Ball joint puller? can someone give the 411. Will I need to replace any parts after seperating them?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:46 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Just loosen the nut and it should come apart, mine did. If it sticks leave the nut on extended just past the end and give it a rap with a hammer but put a piece of wood inbetween.

You should always replace the cotter pin each time it is removed.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:23 AM
UnderPressure

Be carefull hitting the stud part of the ball joint. Even w/ the nut on the end protecting the threads it's still possible to damage the ball joint to the point the nut will not thread on.

The way I've done it for years is once the nut and cotter pin are removed, take a large hammer, and smack the hell out of the lower arm. Hit the lower arm towards the front or rear of the car not downward. This will seperate the ball joint conical seat from the lower control arm. Don't be afraid to lay into it. Sometimes it take just a tap, other times a large man w/ an 8lb sledge. You wil not damage the lower control arm.

Good luck.

You really shouldn't use a ball joint seperator, aka pickle fork. There is a very high chance you are going to damage the grease boot. If the boot gets cut the ball joint will need to be replaced.

Last edited by UnderPressure; 05-22-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:47 AM
JonathanG35

when i try to loosen the nut, the whole bolt turns, I can tell cause the hole where the cotter pin was is moving. This cant be good. Am i doing something wrong?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:01 PM
UnderPressure

Originally Posted by JonathanG35
when i try to loosen the nut, the whole bolt turns, I can tell cause the hole where the cotter pin was is moving. This cant be good. Am i doing something wrong?
No not really anything wrong on your end. It's odd that the ball stud is turning. Has anyone had the ball joint apart in the past? It sounds like someone has previously mushroomed the stud or didn't seat the ball joint fully.

Just take a 14mm, I think, wrench and there are flats in the ball joint shaft just above lower control arm. You might have to slide up the grease boot.

If that does not work or you can't find the flats. Tighten, yes tighten the ball joint to reseat the conical section. This will supply enough resistance to allow you to remove the nut. Hopefully.

Good luck
Old 05-22-2005, 01:15 PM
JonathanG35

Originally Posted by UnderPressure
No not really anything wrong on your end. It's odd that the ball stud is turning. Has anyone had the ball joint apart in the past? It sounds like someone has previously mushroomed the stud or didn't seat the ball joint fully.
yes, the shop that originally installed my flex.

Originally Posted by UnderPressure
Just take a 14mm, I think, wrench and there are flats in the ball joint shaft just above lower control arm. You might have to slide up the grease boot.

If that does not work or you can't find the flats. Tighten, yes tighten the ball joint to reseat the conical section. This will supply enough resistance to allow you to remove the nut. Hopefully.

Good luck
i tried to tighten it with no luck but i will try the wrench trick.

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:43 PM
UnderPressure

To help tighten the conical joint, try placing some upwards force on the control arm. IE place a jack under the control arm. Raise the jack to where the control arm is raised a little bit, 0.5-1in. Then try to tighten or loosen the nut. The jack should apply enough force to seat the cone allowing you to remove the nut.

Then beat the hell out of it.