Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Hawk HPS -- Commentary (Need input from other owners!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by imalazeeass
Couple of days ago here in SOCAL it was POURING rain. My car was outside while I was at work. After work, I fired up my car, and I barely stopped at the stop sign. It was unbelievable. The pads felt like noodles! It was pretty scary. So I took the car to a small street and did a couple of 40mph to 0 hard stops until i started to feel the braking again. I am definately going back to axis ultimate w/ my stoptechs after these wear out. The no dust is a very nice feature tho..
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The pads work FINE, as long as they are HOT. I somewhat disagree to the comment that they are a Street pad. Sure, they're called "high performance street" but street pads should bite at street temperatures.

These pads bite at something significantly higher than normal street temps.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:13 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssk0771
I tried Satisfied Pro Ceremics also. Less intial bite than Stock. You have to press your brake pedal little firmer/harder with these pads. Very low dust. Mine had a very very minor squeak but thats because I did not turn my rotors. My friend had it on his Z and he had no issues with noise.
Just for FYI.

I don't know when you need to change your pads but you might want to wait few weeks and give Project Mu NS pads a try. I heard good stuff about them. The only thing about PMU B-Force and NS pads are they are in back order.
NS pads are not as pricey as B-Force and they are rated just below B-Force.
Its about $10-$15 more than Hawk HPS per set.

I heard there is a shipment comming in mid or end of January 2006.

ANYONE WANT TO BUY a SET OF FRONT HAWK HPS almost new. It has about 90% remaining. I took the pads out from my OLD Silver 350Z BECAUSE MY CAR WON'T STOP WHEN I WANTED IT TO.

I have already ordered the Satisfied Pros... I might try the Mu Pads next if these don't do well.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Strife350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well before anyone else joins the hawk bashing band-wagon... i've had hawks on my car since 5000 kms (now has 30,000) and have had ABSOLUTELY NONE of the issues mentioned here

what i DO have is GREAT fade resistance, NO dust and SAFE PREDICTABLE braking in RAIN, SHINE or SNOW

anyway... just wanted to chime in... this forum has a tendency to snow-ball in its vendor/product bashing ways (e.g. kinetix sucks, SAFC doesn't work, pulleys make no power etc. etc. etc.)

sorry to rant... but it's always the smallest % of dissastisfied consumers who are the LOUDEST when the satisfied ones sit back and say nothing... oldest story in the book
Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
imalazeeass

well i guess you got the "better" hawk hps than me cuz mine doesnt stop for crap when its raining hard.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Strife350z

again, sorry for the rant (late night... ugh) but seriously... i've been running hawks for 2 years on this car and have had them on my previous car as well... i've had no issues and i like to drive hard

i agree that the initial bite is less than stock but that's true of other aftermarket pads as well... we run endless pads on our s2000 and the performance delta between stock is nearly the same as the hawks on the Z (delta in terms of improved fade resistance, lowered dust but less initial bite)

i've never felt unsafe driving either
Old 01-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they don't have the same initial bite as stock, but the pedal feel is firmer and the braking is linear, harder you push the more you stop.

the reduction in dust is worth the slightly less initial bite.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:41 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have HPS on my car right now cause I read all about how they're every bit as good as the stock brembo pads, but with less dust.

wow was that wrong. Sure there isn't much dust, but these pads seriously suck at braking. Stock was much much better.

I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna put my set of HP+ or AXIS pads on
Old 01-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

I think HP+ is a higher temp range, in which case it would brake worse. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also on the "satisfied" wagon. I switched my OEMs for Stillen (I think) pads back when they where the only ones that had front/rear sets for non-Brembo (early in the car history). I later switched for Hawk HPS when I went with sloted rotors.

One thing is, like in the tires, for less dust you go to harder compound so you loose some initial bite. This is a given. Yet I haven't noticed mine been any worst.

When it rains in Fla, I have more concerns with the stupid Potenzas than with my brakes.

I have noticed in a few ocasions they bite better on a second pump, but I always thought I might have a small air bubble in the line somewhere.

FYI, I don't track the car. Daily driver to work.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:16 PM
cbrflyer919

I as well bought the HPS pads after reading countless threads about they were a great all around pad as far as noise, stopping distance, light trackability, and dust.....WELL these pads ended up costing me my front end a few months ago. I was aware that they needed to be warmed up a little for OPTIMAL braking performance, but what they dont tell you is, if they are cold then good luck. I was leaving work one day and was in a hurry and completely forgot to warm them up a bit. I was in typical DC traffic, floor it, slam on the brakes, floor it, slam on the brakes. Well All I got to do was my first floor it. I slammed on the brakes and I might as well have opened the door and put my foot out. SLAMMED into the lexus in front of me. New bumper cover, crash pad, and aluminum beam. My headlight is cocked up a little now as well. I would never buy these pads again. The no dust thing is amazing, they dont make much if any noise and ONCE heated up they are I would say equal to stock. Overall, I have been very unhappy. I now ALWAYS drive with my foot on the gas and brake for the first 30 seconds down my street in the morning before I get it my baby out with the traffic.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Axxis Ultimates up front and Hawk HPS in the rear.. I love the Axxis ultimates.. good bite, quiet and they feel great.. only problem is they give off a lot of dust..

The Hawks in the rear seem to perform OK--can't really tell since they are in the rear and our cars are so front brake biased.. but I don't like them because if you heat them up, they squeeeeeek like a ****.. They give off very little dust though

--mike
Old 01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

+1 on that
but I don't like them because if you heat them up, they squeeeeeek like a ****.. They give off very little dust though
I am not a huge fan, but the really don't dust much
Old 01-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Z33

I've had HPS on my Z for over a year and 10k+ miles. Put them on at the same time as new rotors, stainless lines and Motul 600. The first few hundred miles were scary green fade (loves my ABS!), but it got better, and I like them a lot. Hardly any dust, no noise, and they're easier to modulate than OEM. Next time around, I might try Axxis Ultimates, just to see, but the Hawk work fine for me, year round.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Well I've decided to start from scratch. I'm either going to machine the rotors or get new rotors (probably machine), get new pads and shims, get stainless brake lines, and better brake fluid... it's time for an overhaul.

On the freeway today, the car suddenly pulled left or right when I was braking because one side was gripping better than the other side...

something either went wrong with my installation, or I got bad HPS pads, or whatever. The point is, I'm not going to risk it again and I'm going to go with either the Project Mu B-force or the Endless Nuova.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:23 PM
J Ritt

I'd recommend the Axxis Ultimate pad if you want more bite. You will get more dust however. It's all about tradeoffs...pads with higher metallic content will be dustier and potentially have more noise...but they'll also have more bite. When choosing pads, always rank what's most important to you, and realize that you'll have to make a tradeoff in one or more area.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I'm gonna put the AXIS pads on and save my HP+ for autocrossing days - the AXIS pads are at a great price off of stoptech's site compared to any of the hawk pads

I really don't mind the dust. It gives me something to clean off the wheels when washing the car. Otherwise it's almost not even worth bothering to clean your wheels when you wash your car. You can barely see where you've cleaned. Doesn't feel as satisfying as "holy cow I can see my wheels again"

And I really miss having good bite. Yeah I was going fast on an off ramp once and the HPS pads gave me a little scare that they might not slow the car enough. They did, but still.....
Old 01-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by J Ritt
I'd recommend the Axxis Ultimate pad if you want more bite. You will get more dust however. It's all about tradeoffs...pads with higher metallic content will be dustier and potentially have more noise...but they'll also have more bite. When choosing pads, always rank what's most important to you, and realize that you'll have to make a tradeoff in one or more area.
Does Axxis Ultimate come with shims attached, or would I need to use the stock shims?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:19 PM
ssk0771

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Does Axxis Ultimate come with shims attached, or would I need to use the stock shims?
Still missing shims?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:34 AM
bokone

I bought the HPS mainly for the lower dust. I do agree that they have a lower inital bite than the stock. I also bought these for a "better" track pad with low noise and easy on the rotors. The first few track sessions (HPDE) after the pad install was in the pouring rain. I didn't notice any loss of feel but of course I am going alot slower too and after it dryed out they performed well. Just my .02
Old 01-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Shift_Daytona Z

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
Hawk HPS lack initial bite...

If you have Brembo or NON-Brembo another pad with little dust but has great initial bite is the NISMO Pad...
so this is true.............I have been wondering that and asked the service manager at my delaership and he look at me like I was a idiot and said " Every car has dust like that on the front". I was like bull****. This is my 10th car and none of them have dusted as bad as this one does. Jason I will buy these from performance if you can confirm that it reduces the dust but doesnt put you at risk for death in the rain. Thanks

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS -- Commentary (Need input from other owners!)