MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   add new wheels and oversteer is gone, want it back but how? (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/207183-add-new-wheels-and-oversteer-is-gone-want-it-back-but-how.html)

o snap its eric 07-31-2006 08:40 AM

add new wheels and oversteer is gone, want it back but how?

So i was using my 17" rims with my tien flexx and cusco sways. I had the sways set to max stiff and the tiens at 10 in the front and 9 in the back. It was a good balance. I had a slight oversteer which i preferred over the understeer.

Since i replaced my 17"s with my nismo lgmt4 in 18"s i seemed to gotten back my understeer. And now im also running 245 in the front and 275 width tires in the back vs the oem setup at 235 front and 245 back.

Can anyone chime in and help me get back my oversteer.

spacemn_spiff 07-31-2006 09:08 AM

The oversteer bias of the car could be achieved by reducing the front swaybar stiffness, however its roll stiffness would be reduced.

daveh 08-02-2006 08:48 AM

Stiffening the rear sway or shock settings will bring more oversteer.

Dave

Z1 Performance 08-02-2006 09:06 AM

there are lots of ways

reducing front swaybar setting

reduce front to rear stagger

easier stuff:

1. start playing with tire pressures

2. start playing with dampening settings

3. start playing with alignment

o snap its eric 08-02-2006 11:34 AM

reduce the front stagger as in running not as wide IE: going from 245s to 235s? I dont want to loose any body roll? I mean since installing the new rims i swear i felt i got some body roll back. I think i'll play with the dampening settings. I will get my car aligned next week too.

S12 driver 08-02-2006 11:43 AM

Run wider front tires would probably get you back some of the oversteer. Your old setup's front and rear tires only have a 10mm stagger, now you have a 30mm stagger. Go maybe 265 in front and 275 rear, that would probably help.

J Ritt 08-02-2006 01:15 PM

All else held equal, run the same width tires front and rear if you want to get some oversteer back. 275 front and rear is a good option. Then you can also rotate the tires front to rear as well.

MoodDude 08-02-2006 06:21 PM

What to do depends on the condition the understeer is occuring. Here is a few rules of thumb (write up in May issue of GRM Mag):

Understeer and Entry:
a. Soften front springs
b. soften front compression
c. lower front ride height

Understeer at Exit:
a. stiffen rear springs
b. stiffen rear shock compression
c. raise rear ride height
d. stiffen rear anti-roll bar

Mid-Corner understeer:
a. stiffen front springs
b. stiffen front anti-roll bar
c. increase front preload

If you want more info - Kolia scanned the article and posted it on a thread.

o snap its eric 08-04-2006 09:15 AM

i tried to turn up the stiffness of my front end to the new setting for 14 rather than 10 (previous setting) and left the rears at 8. I had better steering feel and a lot of the understeer went away however through the end of the mid cornering and during the exit i still get some understeer. Its a lot easier for me to break out of traction too at that time.

i know adjusting the damping for the tien flexx is a pain in the ass to do for the rear so do you guys recommend me stiffening up the front too?

636Racer 08-04-2006 11:01 AM

A lot of it has to do with driving, we dont know how you drive so it's hard to say. we dont know if you're putting in to much steering, where you're braking, scrubbing off speed, how fast your going through a turn or what kind of turn is it that induce understeer for you - things like that help determine things to help setup your car.

typical car setups like the ones listed above may or may not work for you style of driving. you just have to try them all out and see what works.