Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
mavtais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!

Hooray. I ordered them from Invision350z on Tuesday and they showed up today (Thursday, 11/16/06), and I couldn't wait to install them. Immediately after installing them, I did the funnest part of any mod: test drive.

Initial review: Feels sportier than stock. The stock suspension system really is that: it suspends your car in whatever state it is in. If you're in a hard left, then you will be suspended in a hard left. With the Sport Mach, return to equilibrium balance is restored in a hurry, so coming out of that same hard left was a quick transition back to stable straight line.
I know, some of you may not like to hear this, but the car feels more like an S2000 with Sport Mach. The S2000 feels more sure footed. What you all will like is that it feels like it has lost some weight! Probably due to the quicker return.
I'll post pics soon. Spring rates are as follows:
Front: 6 kg/m -20mm
Rear: 6.5 kg/m -15mm

Thanks again, Invision350z. An excellent vendor!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:01 AM
clipso 01

pics???
Old 11-24-2006, 02:44 PM
mavtais

Originally Posted by clipso 01
pics???
Yes. When I look at the car from the side, it is hard to tell it is dropped. But when I wash the car, it is very easy to reach over the top now.
I took it for another spin, entering a right-hander pretty hard, and it oversteered. I was able to zero counter and lay into the throttle out of the exit! Hooray, I think this type of behavior will make the car faster!
Attached Thumbnails SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-swiftinstall1.jpg   SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-swiftinstall2.jpg  
Old 11-24-2006, 02:46 PM
mavtais

Default More Pics

Specifically the front and rear wheel gap.
Attached Thumbnails SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-swiftinstallfront.jpg   SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-swiftinstallfrontcoil.jpg   SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-swiftinstallrear.jpg   SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-swiftinstallrearcoil.jpg  
Old 11-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any more pics after the springs have settled in?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 PM
mavtais

I'll take more pics in a week to see if they settle some more. Don't know if they will anymore than this though. These are after 1 week of installation. It still feels good/better than stock. Grippier, and it is a little harder to break my inside tire loose during parking lot driving now (Nismo LSD).
I'm shooting for sometime in March 2007 (actually my whole crew) to hit either Laguna Seca or Infineon. I might have wheels and tires by then too, if I can just get the money to buy Tony@performance's volks.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Nihilation

Would you buy these again?
Old 12-02-2006, 03:07 PM
mavtais

Originally Posted by Nihilation
Would you buy these again?
Yes.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 AM
mavtais

Default For those of you pretty boys/gals concerned with what your car will look like

Springs should have settled in by now (1 month and 2 days) and it's still hard to see the difference in ride height. It is evidenced through daily driving that ride height has not changed significantly because I still don't scrape on anything at all. I love these springs!
Stock spring rates/SWIFT spring rates:
Front - 5.5/6.0 -20mm
Rear - 6.25/6.5 -15mm
Swift actually beefed up the front more than the rear, but still kept the car's overall balance by keeping the rear stiffer than the front.

The SB ZR is my co-worker's. It's an early 04 with tire wearing issues. Completely stock still. He got it trading in his '03 touring coupe which also had tire wearing issues back in March or April 04. Interesting to see that the roof-line appears lower on the ZR! But my mirrors show us that my car is in fact a little lower.
Attached Thumbnails SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-02mirrors.jpg   SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-03mirrors.jpg   SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-04roofline.jpg  
Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Nihilation

I just got mine installed with Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts. Not terribly different in ride height that's for sure. Good springs shouldn't settle much at all. Here's a pic from this weekend:
Old 12-18-2006, 11:56 AM
mavtais

^ Coolness! Tell me how the Dspecs work out for you. I'm planning on going with the Blues when the oem's are dead. That could be 5 years maybe. The ride on mine is not as choppy as stock and return to zero lateral g is very fast.

FYI: Everyone, the Z has Tokico shocks as OEM.

Notice the front camber on mine (Silverstone) compared to the ZR (Black) parked next to it. I don't know if that is due to whatever Nissan did to fix the tire wearing issue or was it from the drop. I wish I had taken pictures like this when my car was stock.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM
mavtais

Default 3 months Later!!!

It's been 3 months. Can you tell it looks any lower? I don't think it got any lower than it was when I first installed it. That's good news to me.

I'm going to the first Auto-x event of this year with Fresno SCCA chapter on Sunday (March 4), so we'll see how I do against my brother's S2 in its "neck of the woods". This will be my first time with this setup... Here we go!
http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Fresno/
Attached Thumbnails SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!-swiftinstall_3months.jpg  
Old 02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You park your car under all that stuff hanging on the wall in CA. Even a nearby 5.0 is gonna have rakes and brooms falling all over it. At the very least, get yourself a long bungee cord you can hook around the whole lot of it just to keep falling things from hitting the car.

I like the drop BTW.

Chris
Old 04-03-2007, 09:50 PM
mavtais

^ thanks for the tip, Chris.
I'm overdue for the results.

S2000 (AP2) with SWIFT Sport Mach Springs and Swift Sways, Injen intake, and ASM super expensive full ti exhaust, and most importantly Bridgestone RE01R tires:
1:00.4

My350Z with SWIFT Sport Mach Springs, modified lower intake (MREV2 style), Nismo LSD, and most crucial to my handi-cap Goodyear Eagle F1 tires (flexy side wall ):
1:00.2

HHOOORRAAY!! I beat my brother for the first time, and with a handi-cap! Taking it to the track in about a month. Will post those results too!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

THANKS FOR KEEPING US UPDATED. I'm looking into Springs and sways for my 07 now...And am leaning Toward nismo or stillen sways. And for Springs Tein or Tanabe GF210.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mavtais
Springs should have settled in by now (1 month and 2 days) and it's still hard to see the difference in ride height. It is evidenced through daily driving that ride height has not changed significantly because I still don't scrape on anything at all. I love these springs!
Stock spring rates/SWIFT spring rates:
Front - 5.5/6.0 -20mm
Rear - 6.25/6.5 -15mm
Swift actually beefed up the front more than the rear, but still kept the car's overall balance by keeping the rear stiffer than the front.

The SB ZR is my co-worker's. It's an early 04 with tire wearing issues. Completely stock still. He got it trading in his '03 touring coupe which also had tire wearing issues back in March or April 04. Interesting to see that the roof-line appears lower on the ZR! But my mirrors show us that my car is in fact a little lower.

Actually your oem spring rates are not 5.5Kg/6.25, though I do believe that our sourcing from Hotchkis's published data. Your car is a 05 and you have the revised suspension. Your oem spring rates are 5.6Kg/7.6

2004.5 to 2007 oem 350Z spring rates
314/427

Swift 350Z linear springs .8”/.6”
Spring rates in LBS 336/364

The behaviorial differance's your noticing relate to the slight drop in rear spring rate, blended in with the different alignment specs and slightly lowered center of gravity.

Tokico D-spec springs and Tein S-tech's both have higher front spring rates then the Swift springs, though the S-tech's do have 1-1.5 coils in the front that are progressive.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 04-04-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
THANKS FOR KEEPING US UPDATED. I'm looking into Springs and sways for my 07 now...And am leaning Toward nismo or stillen sways. And for Springs Tein or Tanabe GF210.

For sway's I recommend a front and rear adjustable setup from a brand name you trust at a price point you feel is justified. Nismo sway's are not adjustable.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:05 PM
mavtais

Angry

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Actually your oem spring rates are not 5.5Kg/6.25, though I do believe that our sourcing from Hotchkis's published data. Your car is a 05 and you have the revised suspension. Your oem spring rates are 5.6Kg/7.6

2004.5 to 2007 oem 350Z spring rates
314/427

Swift 350Z linear springs .8”/.6”
Spring rates in LBS 336/364

The behaviorial differance's your noticing relate to the slight drop in rear spring rate, blended in with the different alignment specs and slightly lowered center of gravity.

Tokico D-spec springs and Tein S-tech's both have higher front spring rates then the Swift springs, though the S-tech's do have 1-1.5 coils in the front that are progressive.
Awe man! That makes me want to order a custom set now. Though the current setup I have is a step up from OEM, I bet it could be even stiffer without sacrificing too much ride comfort. That means the rear is only stiffer than the unrevised rear. Too bad the oems aren't linear or I would put the rear back on.
Tokico D-spec and Tein S-tech are too low for me. They were produced for people who are as concerned about looks as they are about handling. I put all the weight of my concern on handling/driveability. That's why I went with linear springs with only a little drop.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by mavtais
Awe man! That makes me want to order a custom set now. Though the current setup I have is a step up from OEM, I bet it could be even stiffer without sacrificing too much ride comfort. That means the rear is only stiffer than the unrevised rear. Too bad the oems aren't linear or I would put the rear back on.
Tokico D-spec and Tein S-tech are too low for me. They were produced for people who are as concerned about looks as they are about handling. I put all the weight of my concern on handling/driveability. That's why I went with linear springs with only a little drop.
Custom spring setups are extreamly expensive and you'll run into a brick wall with the limitation's of the shocks long before you can justify the expense. You can go with a 450/350 setup in the form of TomMotorsport sleave coilovers for use with Tokico D-spec shocks. I'm running a custom Koni setup with 560/427.

Oem springs are linear.

Their's no reason why you cannot install the oem rear's and modify the upper spring seat for a .8" drop. However, that doesn't mean it would be a postive move for you on the whole.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:34 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

im really considering these I just wished the drop was slightly more noticeable

Quick Reply: SWIFT Sport Mach Springs just installed!