Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

GTSPEC Fender Braces - Review + Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:13 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GTSPEC Fender Braces - Review + Pics

I just installed the new GTSPEC Fender Braces on the time attack Z this past weekend and I thought I would share my thoughts and pics!

Description from GTSPEC.com...

"Known as the "Gacchiri Support" in Japan or CAWL Support by SPT. This chassis reinforcement will greatly improves the handling dynamics of your car. Mounts onto the door hinge and inner fender, creating a triangular support that greatly increases rigidity over OEM. Confidence in steering is gauranteed while reducing flexing of the unibody."

Installation Process Notes:

The install was painfully simple. It looks like it would be a big job, but the Z fenders are actually really simple to remove and the GTSPEC brace fitment is awesome. It took me about 20 min. per side taking my time. There is some very minor drilling required for the front two bolts only. The rest is just removing and replacing bolts. The only tools needed are a 10mm socket, 12mm socket, flathead screwdriver for those annoying clips, and a philips head screwdriver for the two bolts that secure the fender liner to the fender. I didn't need to take the wheels off and only had to partially remove the side skirts to get to two bolts for the fender.

Step #1: Removing the fender
To remove the fender there are some 10mm bolts, two 12mm bolts, and one or two of those plastic clips underneath the hood starting from where the top of the headlight connects (the two 12mm bolts). Remove all of those bolts and clips. There is one bolt that is connected to the body by the seem of the door and fender. If you open the door you can see it. Its a 10mm bolt, loosen that one. It's not necessary to remove that completely and you will see why when you get to that point. Next, there is I think two bolts that connect the front bumper to the fender. These should be 10mm bolts. I don't have these on my car anymore so I hope I am correct. There are two more 10mm bolts on the bottom of the fender behind the side skirt. Remove those. Next remove the philips head bolts that connect the fender liner to the fender and the whole thing should come off!

Step #2: Install the brace
The brace is really easy to install. With the door closed, remove the 4 bolts that hold the door hinges to the car. You will see that the 4 holes on the fender brace line up perfectly with these holes. Replace the bolts with the fender brace in between the bolts and the door hinges. Now at the front of the brace the bolt holes provide a perfect guide for drilling. Take the drill and drill the holes through the ones on the brace (don't remember the size). You will see two larger holes now, one in the chassis brace that lines up with another in the body of the car, and one off to the side. The kit comes with bolts that have long tabs attached. Use the tabs to guide the bolts through the larger holes and into position to be able to mate with the screws you put through the holes you drilled. This is seen in pic # 5.

Install the fender again, and repeat for the other side of the car! Sorry for the lame directions, but I can't remember some of the details from a week ago. Trust me when I say that you don't really need directions. Everything is pretty self explanitory once you get started.

Review:

Well, as most of you know, this is a full purpose built race car with a 10 point cage, chassis bracing, etc. so any additional bracing is always welcomed. Being the first car to have these i didn't know what to expect. I drove the car around a bit after the install and suprisingly noticed a difference even on my car. With quick turning the car just hugged flatter than ever before. On bumps...the chassis now stayed stiff and allowed the suspension to do its job. I haven't been able to track test it to its limits yet, but I am anxious to see what these can do! With teh improvemenyt I felt from these on my track car I can't wait to slap these on my other Z and see what they can really do, I am sure the results will be amazing!

Pics:

Last edited by SinCity350Z; 09-06-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

bad *** MIKE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome-that car is sooo clean! Approx how much do these go for?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like a very cool part. i'll be interested to see if you will notice any improvement on a car as heavily modified/braced/caged as yours.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
AWDBall20

Originally Posted by Alberto
Awesome-that car is sooo clean! Approx how much do these go for?

+1 Nice little right up
Old 09-06-2007, 09:31 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Thanks guys!

Alberto - They retail for $229.

f1james - I am anxious as well. I am sure the improvements will become even more apparent at the track!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Care to post instructions on how to remove fenders? Thanks for the info-this looks like something I would like to do, especially for that price.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Alberto
Care to post instructions on how to remove fenders? Thanks for the info-this looks like something I would like to do, especially for that price.
Sure. I think I can remember the whole process, I will edit the original post.

EDIT: I was trying to write it and I can't recall enough details to write actual instructions, but I will give broad instructions. Its super easy.

Last edited by SinCity350Z; 09-06-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDBall20
+1 Nice little right up
as if it were a wrong up?

love the first pic. i say you track fenderless so you can show these off.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Three questions:

1. Do you think these would fit on a G35? In other words is the body/suspension the same at that point in the G35 coupe 6MT?

2. Do you think they will make as much (or more) difference in a car that is not quite as purpose built as yours?

3.: Does the side fender/skirt just right back on over those? In other words, no outside modification is visible?

Dave
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 AM
dklau33

+1 on G35 fitment, particulary the sedan. I have a doubtful feeling though.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Three questions:

1. Do you think these would fit on a G35? In other words is the body/suspension the same at that point in the G35 coupe 6MT?

2. Do you think they will make as much (or more) difference in a car that is not quite as purpose built as yours?

3.: Does the side fender/skirt just right back on over those? In other words, no outside modification is visible?

Dave
1. I know they have fit on 03-05 G coupes, but GTSPEC is only guaranteeing (is that spelled right?) fitment on the Zs.

2. A car not as purpose built as mine should yield much more dramatic results.

3. No outside modification needed. They fit in the void between the fender skin and the body of the car with room to spare.

Hope that helps
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by sofa king
as if it were a wrong up?

love the first pic. i say you track fenderless so you can show these off.
LOL, I am sure GTSPEC would love that. Unfortunately a floppy front bumper wouldn't do well on the track with nothing to attach the sides to
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 AM
AWDBall20

haha thanks for pointing out that i spelled it rong
Old 09-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
1. I know they have fit on 03-05 G coupes, but GTSPEC is only guaranteeing (is that spelled right?) fitment on the Zs.

2. A car not as purpose built as mine should yield much more dramatic results.

3. No outside modification needed. They fit in the void between the fender skin and the body of the car with room to spare.

Hope that helps
Awesome! Thanks for the answers. I might just be doing this since I do track my G quite often. How did it affrct your ride comfort/quality, since it is also my daily driver (not that you are very worried about ride quality, but I am...)?

Dave
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Awesome! Thanks for the answers. I might just be doing this since I do track my G quite often. How did it affrct your ride comfort/quality, since it is also my daily driver (not that you are very worried about ride quality, but I am...)?

Dave
The roll cage, racing seats, and lack of interior ruined my ride quality long ago lol. Seriuosly though, I doubt it would affect it at all.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 AM
MUZZY

I want more pics and info on the Carbon Fiber head light covers!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Sick, nothing best the best comes from the guys at GTspec
Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by MUZZY
I want more pics and info on the Carbon Fiber head light covers!
Hahaha. They aren't covers, they are full replacements. 350evo used to make them, but I think the only person to buy them was Rickdogg and I waited 2 and a half years for him to sell them to me .
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Quamen

Nice!

Quick Reply: GTSPEC Fender Braces - Review + Pics