MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   6 pot 14" BBK (front only) VS stock brembo all around? (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/321897-6-pot-14-bbk-front-only-vs-stock-brembo-all-around.html)

enuff4life 12-15-2007 08:27 PM

6 pot 14" BBK (front only) VS stock brembo all around?

i have non brembo.

which one will be better? performance wise and apperance?

it will be odd that if I only have huge front brake on front. but it is sick...

the price on used 6 pot 14" goes around $1700~$2000 and stock brembo is like about $1600?

enuff4life 12-16-2007 05:11 PM

bump???

gsazabi 12-16-2007 06:59 PM

I've been in a car with 14" 4pot Brembo BBK in front and Stoptech Stoptech stage 2 in rear, and also in a car with OEM Brembos.
BBK thrashed OEM Brembos if you ask me.

bbs350z 12-16-2007 07:16 PM

if your shelling out the $$ id get bbk. look into megan racing. there brakes are surprisingy good, and rival the ap racings setup. the rotors are even better than ap's according to the review

AlvinHuyN 12-17-2007 02:07 AM

If you're going for a street and light tracking (auto-x, etc) go for the the Track brembos. If you're going to track your car you will need to upgrade the rears anyway so you should upgrade both front and rear.

What I chose to do is upgrade to OEM brembo a couple months ago. Then when I saw a good deal on a Stoptech Front BBK I upgraded the front. So now I'm running OEM Brembo rears and front BBK.

gsazabi 12-17-2007 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by AlvinHuyN
If you're going for a street and light tracking (auto-x, etc) go for the the Track brembos. If you're going to track your car you will need to upgrade the rears anyway so you should upgrade both front and rear.

What I chose to do is upgrade to OEM brembo a couple months ago. Then when I saw a good deal on a Stoptech Front BBK I upgraded the front. So now I'm running OEM Brembo rears and front BBK.

Yea that's plenty of stopping power right there.

Chebosto 12-17-2007 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
if your shelling out the $$ id get bbk. look into megan racing. there brakes are surprisingy good, and rival the ap racings setup. the rotors are even better than ap's according to the review

you're basing this all on a single review.. i know, i read it too. as much as i want to believe that statement (hell i have stoptechs) that the "meatballs tastes like filet mignon" i'd like to see bigger race teams put on the Megan racing brakes and put it to an even more harsher test (i.e. a 24 hr race.. or even longer endurance race) rather than a couple of time attack sessions, to have it compared to "AP racing setup."

enuff4life 05-13-2008 02:29 PM

Another updated questions

i see 13" rotors with 6 pot (willwood or rotora) for around $1300. (4 pots for $900!!!) http://www.onadimepbs.com/onadime350z.htm

would it be possible to upgrade the rotors to 14" with same caliper?

JETPILOT 05-13-2008 03:27 PM

That kit you pointed to does not come with 2 piece rotors and the mounting brackets are steel. He does nto give the thickness of the rotor but I'm willing to bet it's a 28mm. Performance wise there are better kits. If your just tooling around town or take it to the track now and then and take it wasy then they are fine. 4 piston or 6 piston doesn't really matter performance wise.

JET

OnADimePBS 05-13-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
That kit you pointed to does not come with 2 piece rotors and the mounting brackets are steel. He does nto give the thickness of the rotor but I'm willing to bet it's a 28mm. Performance wise there are better kits. If your just tooling around town or take it to the track now and then and take it wasy then they are fine. 4 piston or 6 piston doesn't really matter performance wise.

JET

Jet,

You're correct they are 1 piece rotors. They are 13"x1.10" and I've supplied this information here. Our mounting brackets are steel, coated for rust protection, and CNC'd to the thousandth of inch. They weigh in less then 1lb, in reality it wouldn't effect performance if that's what you're getting at.

enuff4life -- Our stage II front kits are on 5 different cars on this site, feel free to ask them what their opinions are. Autigers350z, DaytonaRoadster, and Villianous350z are the most active and can give accurate opinions on the kits. Just because I can provide a product that's affordable does not mean it doesn't perform. I provide another option for z33's and performance wise there are better kits, at 3 times the cost and not to mention the cost of replacements. Mods I'm not trying to sell my products or get banned, just providing information.

All the best,
Alex

S12 driver 05-13-2008 09:13 PM

Just wondering, what's the benefit of two-piece rotors? Just lighter weight? Thanks.

JETPILOT 05-13-2008 09:16 PM

2 piece rotors are much lighter weight, the ability to just replace the friction disc instead of the whole rotor, and the floating 2 piece rotor allows the friction surface to expand without coning. This kit likely has the heat capacity of the stock Brembo's which isn't bad except for really serious track driving. I wonder what race pads are available for these 6 piston calipers.

JET

terrasmak 05-13-2008 10:45 PM

I wonder what race pads are available for these 6 piston calipers.

JET

Wilwood has a really nice selection( i run poly B ) and most major pad companies make pads for wilwood calipers.

OnADimePBS 05-14-2008 05:16 AM

http://www.onadimepbs.com/PAD-TECHTIP_L.GIF

There are a few others as terrasmak stated.

35Z 05-14-2008 06:27 PM

Two-piece rotors benefits

Rotors:
  • Two-piece rotors are typically lighter-weight. Uusually front rotor "hats" are aluminum,while the rear two-piece rotors are steel or iron due to the 350Z stock e-brake location for wear issues of the e-brake drums located inside the "hats"
  • If center mounted "hats" (i.e. center hub area of the rotor), then the rotors are less likely to warp based upon my experiance. The hats are typically aluminum; hence the weight savings
  • Slotted vs drilled (Slotted rotors are typically allowed for N.A.S.A. racing while drilled rotors are not, I believe)

Its not BBK that will stop much shorter than stock brakes; however, they will be less likely to warp the rotors and will dissipate heat quicker (Rotors are essentially a heat sink). A larger tire contact patch/sticker rubber generally will reduce stopping distance.

FYI: I replaced my 350Z stock brakes after approx. 15K miles due to daily stop-n-go driving through flooded-out streets! The early 350Z stock rotors have wear issues...hence quite a few 350Z owners have upgraded to BBK!

Calipers:
  • (Solid monoblock vs two-piece) Solid are less likely to warp (usefull for tracking the vehicle) Look for brake manufacture so the brake pads can be changed without un-mounting the calipers!

Brake Fluid
  • With BBK's; upgrade the brake fluid with either DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 brake fluid in order to increase the boiling point that will likely increase due to the BBK.
Brake Lines:
  • Install new brake lines (Most BBK come with SS brake lines)

Brake Pads
  • Choose the friction material for your driving. I have a set for daily driving and another set for the track. Bed in the pads per the manufacture bed-in procedure.

Good luck in your BBK choice.

Testing the benefits of BBK vs Stock brakes
  • Do a few stops at various speeds with stock brakes.
  • Do a few stops at various speeds with the BBK brakes.
  • Compare your results (i.e. before & after) Don't expect a big difference in the stopping distance (unless the stock brakes are toast).

XxDeliciousxX 05-14-2008 06:35 PM

good info here

enuff4life 05-14-2008 08:15 PM

I don't track my car, but i just wanna fill the gap on my wheels. and little bit increase of performence wise?

So should 4 pot and 13" rotors will be okay? would it be better than stock brembo?

JETPILOT 05-14-2008 08:39 PM

No it wouldn't be better than the stock Brembo's.

JET

z-u-later 05-15-2008 04:56 AM

I did an extensive research between BBKs and OEM Brembos before replacing my '06 non-Brembo brakes. Mind you, the '06s were already much larger & better than previous years. In the end, what swayed me are cost & availability (& affordability) of replacement parts (pads & rotors) for the OEM Brembos. My Z is a weekend fun car and not a full-time track monster so the OEM Brembos were fine from the performance aspect also.

Teufel 05-15-2008 08:37 PM

2 piece rotors are much lighter weight, the ability to just replace the friction disc instead of the whole rotor, and the floating 2 piece rotor allows the friction surface to expand without coning. This kit likely has the heat capacity of the stock Brembo's which isn't bad except for really serious track driving. I wonder what race pads are available for these 6 piston calipers.

JET

That is incorrect. A Vendor recently weighed the two and there was 10% difference.