MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   350Z - with or without brembos (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/384112-350z-with-or-without-brembos.html)

Makotoseven 09-06-2008 01:34 PM

350Z - with or without brembos

hey guys i've been looking around and thinking of picking up a good used 04-05 Z 6spd (in the DFW area if anyone is selling). what i want is just a good car i can throw coilovers and wheels on and just have a goood solid NA daily driver/track car.

so my question is: how superior are the brembo stockers vs the base model brakes (with maybe some good pads and rotors)?

_STEVEO_01 09-06-2008 01:38 PM

They are significantly better, I would definitely recommend getting the Z33 with the Brembos. If you are questioning it now, you would probobly be less satisfied if you didn't get what you wanted (later), sounds like the brembos are an important option for you. Besides, according to your plans, the brakes would be one less thing to worry about in the future. It will allow you to concentrate on other mods. Good luck with your build :thumbup:

Makotoseven 09-06-2008 01:52 PM

i dont really want to build the car, i just want something that can corner well, not be a slug, and look really cool. i'm aware of the Z's flaws but i keep going back to it for the bank-for-the-buck factor because it'll be a daily driver.

wheels, coilovers, and bolt ons. i found a car with nav but no brembos. bleh.

Chaser720 09-06-2008 02:32 PM

Brembos are a lot less likely to warp a rotor while stock brakes its fairly common.

Ive got the stock brembos with rotora rotors and hawk pads. LOVE IT

EDIT: And aftermarket BBK are ahhhhhh expensive.

krazyrican76 09-06-2008 04:50 PM

Brembo= upgrade! If you're looking for milds mods, then stay stok. But if you're looking at something else, there's no way around it! UPGRADE!!!

z-u-later 09-06-2008 05:15 PM

I have an '06 and the stock '06 brakes are bigger & better than previous years. Having said that, I still felt that I needed to upgrade to the stock Brembo brakes since I autocross & road course my Z. If you're not going to track your car, what's the point of upgrading to Brembos?

dkmesa350z 09-06-2008 05:21 PM

stock brembos do not stop any better than standard brakes, but they resist fading significantly better. Since you say you plan to do track days, you would benefit greatly from brembos.

terrasmak 09-06-2008 06:25 PM

Get the brembo'd if you get an 05 or older, the stockers only last a couple laps. 06 and newer brakes actually take a beating and will work fine till you get R comps.

Chaser720 09-06-2008 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
stock brembos do not stop any better than standard brakes, but they resist fading significantly better. Since you say you plan to do track days, you would benefit greatly from brembos.

For some reason i have a difficult time believing that. I for one haven't searched in excess on the topic so if im wrong i apologize.

Just seems that the larger Brembo caliper and rotor would provide more stopping force than the smaller stock caliper and rotor.

But please prove me wrong if you can cause im interested in the answer for this one.

davidv 09-06-2008 07:26 PM

Welcome. Get a 350Z first. We'll look at brakes later.

YOGURT! 09-06-2008 07:40 PM

love my brembos.. this thing stops on a DIME and gives you change.. the other brakes seem too small to stop this car effectively

roast 09-06-2008 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chaser720
For some reason i have a difficult time believing that. I for one haven't searched in excess on the topic so if im wrong i apologize.

Just seems that the larger Brembo caliper and rotor would provide more stopping force than the smaller stock caliper and rotor.

But please prove me wrong if you can cause im interested in the answer for this one.

so if the smaller brakes are perfectly capable of locking up the tires and activating ABS.... bigger ones are supposed to do what? :icon9: :icon38:

350z Guy 09-06-2008 09:46 PM

honestly if your planning to spend alot of time on the tracks then go for brembo is a must
but if your planning to go for everyday driving then the stock brakes should be just fine =)

woogie12 09-06-2008 10:47 PM

I am one of the people who bought a 350z touring, no brembos.

After buying this, look for the brembos. Breaks are an expensive mod, and I wish it was something I waited on. I just rushed to get a z and really wish I had looked for brembos.

I've driven my brother's G35 with brembos, and I will say, just from a psychological aspect I would wait on it.

_STEVEO_01 09-06-2008 11:00 PM

Don't get stuck and limit yourself on the stock Brembos... If your going to be tracking it, get the Stoptech BBK or if you have your mind set on Brembo, get the GT's... Do it right the first time. You get what you pay for.

woogie12 09-06-2008 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by _STEVEO_01
Don't get stuck and limit yourself on the stock Brembos... If your going to be tracking it, get the Stoptech BBK or if you have your mind set on Brembo, get the GT's... Do it right the first time. You get what you pay for.

Then again, you bring up a solid point...

I do love my leather, I get snotty about that.

_STEVEO_01 09-06-2008 11:05 PM

Better yet, check out these puppies...

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Rotor...n-caliper.html

Game over. Nuff said.

Chaser720 09-06-2008 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by roast
so if the smaller brakes are perfectly capable of locking up the tires and activating ABS.... bigger ones are supposed to do what? :icon9: :icon38:

So your saying this
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...rake_Swap4.jpg

Stops as well as this
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...h_calrotor.jpg

And the 7K or so is just for looks...:dunno:

vanos954 09-07-2008 07:59 AM

Brembos or other BBKs don't really stop any better initially. The limiting factor is going to be your tires as the minimum stopping distance for any vehicle is determined by the effective coefficient of friction between the tires and the road. If you have stock or stock type tires you won't see an advantage. If you run wide sticky tires you may see some advantage with the Brembos.

Stock Brakes will perform the same as Brembos for the first few stops, after that the BBKs will resist fade much better and stop better or with shorter distances. If you want to track your car then get a BBK. Doesn't really matter what brand so much as BBK sole purpose is really to dissipate heat which is what causes the fade in the first place. A larger rotor and better caliper design just dissipate heat better than stock type brakes.

roast 09-07-2008 08:14 AM

How well one stops is a matter of interpretation and subjective. If you're talking about initial braking distance... the answer is yes (and I'm pretty certain that was what dk was referring to). Your tires are what limit you when it comes to braking distance. If you mash on the non-brembos and lock the tires up, what makes you think a bigger brake is going to stop you any faster when you're already limited by traction?

The main benefit from oversized brakes is greater thermal capacity and longevity in race conditions.... larger rotors and pads can absorb/shed more heat. There is also more brake torque for better modulation/pedal feel.

At any rate, it would behoove anyone planning on serious track days to get the bigger brakes.