Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

OEM (Non-Brembo) Painted Caliper Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 AM
JonnyRod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM (Non-Brembo) Painted Caliper Thread

Ive searched for a thread like this...cant find anything...so maybe this could be a valuable thread for people thinking about painting their stock calipers.

I painted my calipers black last year with some kind of high temp brush on paint...but now its starting to chip off (due to poor prep im sure), so i'm going to be getting them powdercoated here soon. Just trying to decide if I want to keep them black or possibly go with another color...

Heres what they looked like originally

SOOOO...everyone post pics of their stock (non-brembo) painted calipers!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:37 PM
bluelineshooter

OOOooo!! I'm sooo excited you made this thread. I painted mine red. I'll post photos later today. I cleaned mine very thoroughly using Sunburst degreaser/all purpose cleaner. It's expensive but it'll clean anything. I then taped off everything and painted using high temp, outdoor red spray paint. I waited until the paint was still a bit sticky and then applied a second coat... and then a third. They look great and have lasted about 6 months so far, without chipping at all. I will post pictures later.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
JonnyRod

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
OOOooo!! I'm sooo excited you made this thread. I painted mine red. I'll post photos later today. I cleaned mine very thoroughly using Sunburst degreaser/all purpose cleaner. It's expensive but it'll clean anything. I then taped off everything and painted using high temp, outdoor red spray paint. I waited until the paint was still a bit sticky and then applied a second coat... and then a third. They look great and have lasted about 6 months so far, without chipping at all. I will post pictures later.
OK ya...pictures for sure...because right now I'm wondering if red is the color I want. I think it would flow nicely with my car...but its tough for me to bring such bright attention to the small OEM calipers, you know?

Here's my car...do you think red would be a good choice?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 PM
bluelineshooter

Ok, sorry. I am unable to upload pics today. I had to stay out of town on business for an extra night. But yeah, I will get pics up ASAP. I think red is great. The stocks aren't that small and your car is enchanting. Please tell me... is your roof painted or is that a decal? I'm considering having my roof painted black. My Z is white.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:23 PM
JonnyRod

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
Ok, sorry. I am unable to upload pics today. I had to stay out of town on business for an extra night. But yeah, I will get pics up ASAP. I think red is great. The stocks aren't that small and your car is enchanting. Please tell me... is your roof painted or is that a decal? I'm considering having my roof painted black. My Z is white.
Ya I had it painted for $300...you should be able to get it for cheaper but everything where Im at is over-priced

thanks for the compliment by the way
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 PM
deezz

Here's mine. I do 'em every summer. To the OP, I think black works for you car. Clean lookin' Z BTW.

I also had my roof painted for $250 here in the Ohio area. $300 wasn't too bad IMO.

Last edited by deezz; 06-14-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
jadaniya
Banned

There was atleast 1 other pretty big thread exactly like this before. The general consensus was black or silver if you're gonna paint the stock non-brembo for the reason you stated -calling attn to the small calipers. But then again, things have changed a lot since then, in the Honda direction (eg. General acceptance of rotas, ppo vinyling the **** out of their cars and calling it a "mod," Idiots ruining for sale threads quoting eBay replica prices, etc).

I think what u have is nice... Keep it black.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
JonnyRod

Originally Posted by deezz
Here's mine. I do 'em every summer. To the OP, I think black works for you car. Clean lookin' Z BTW.

See how your brakes are a little brighter red than your tails? If I do them...Im lookin to get a deeper red to match the taillights I think...
Old 06-16-2009, 02:06 PM
bluelineshooter

Ok. I hope this works... I suddenly realize I need aftermarket wheels. My stocks hide my paint work. lol
Attached Thumbnails OEM (Non-Brembo) Painted Caliper Thread-101_2246.jpg   OEM (Non-Brembo) Painted Caliper Thread-101_2249.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
bluelineshooter

Oh and thanks to both of you on the roof painting information. My Z will be in the shop this Thursday. I baught a nismo spoiler and a new hood that I'm having painted. I talked my boys at the shop into painting the roof and the front bumper lip under the grill black. I'm saving up for some wheels next I think. This thread has inspired me a lot.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes yes draw attention so that people can ask why your bbk is so small. paint it black/silver or leave it stock imho.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Bumble Z

looks sick match it silver with black letter/number 350Z
Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity what are the stock calipers made of? Are they aluminum?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, you have a very nice-looking car; don't cheapen it with gaudily-painted stock calipers. Red, blue, yellow, purple, whatever have you, stock calipers look horrible. They scream, "Look at me! I don't have money for real BBKs so I am pretending I have them in case I drive by at 50 mph from a distance and you can't really tell what I have."

Black is most I'd do, which you already have. Leave the colorful tiny calipers to Integra, Civic, and Neon crowd...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 AM
deezz

I figured the 'rice' comments would come. I'm not pretending to have anything special. If asked, I always say they are the stockers painted. Oh well.....
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 AM
bluelineshooter

Yeah, I don't care what brand they are. It's not like I'm ever going to drive fast and hard enough to need super brakes. 99.9 percent of people aren't going to know anything about the brakes. I just thought it looked cool.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 AM
FishBrownie

I'm going to be painting mine soon, most likely black. I thought about red, but I didn't want it to look like I was trying to have Brembo's without having them. I need to do my rotors too, since I didn't opt for the zinc plating (live and learn). Rotors will be as closely matched to my OEM rims as possible, or black.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by FishBrownie
I'm going to be painting mine soon, most likely black. I thought about red, but I didn't want it to look like I was trying to have Brembo's without having them. I need to do my rotors too, since I didn't opt for the zinc plating (live and learn). Rotors will be as closely matched to my OEM rims as possible, or black.
What do you mean "do your rotors"? You're not thinking about painting them right?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
FishBrownie

Originally Posted by jadaniya
What do you mean "do your rotors"? You're not thinking about painting them right?
I'm painting them for rust protection since I didn't opt for the zinc plating. I obvioulsy won't paint the part the pads touch, but the "hub" part looks with rust all over it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:14 AM
SA Z-boi

thinking about doing mine gold or black. Leaning more towards the black because I havent seen the gold done on a ppw. Then again I dont want black because my rh pro r5 rims are black with polished lip.

Op do you have that 350z decal on both the front and rear calipers. Do you possible have a distanced picture that shows both the front and rears. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM (Non-Brembo) Painted Caliper Thread