MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   The Official Air Ride Info Thread (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/448366-the-official-air-ride-info-thread.html)

rodneeking85 07-29-2009 11:12 AM

The Official Air Ride Info Thread

I was just curious to as if anyone here is riding on air? How do you like it and is the ride comfy? What air suspension are you using? Are you running coilovers with them or stock struts?

Just some general questions to give me a better idea of what I may be getting myself into. I’m considering doing it solely because I can adjust the height at the push of a button and can slam it for show. It won’t really be for performance reasons as I don’t track my car or anything.

Thanks for any responses

NismoTreeFittyZ 07-29-2009 02:41 PM

My experiences with air ride have not been pleasant. I had cylinders on my last car and bags on my last show truck..its not very reliable, too much sh!t can go wrong, and its a pita to maintain...Your lines will expand and contract when the weather changes causing leaks (huge headache). My truck laid frame so when my air ride was down (blown bag, etc.) my truck was down..Sure it rides nice but not worth the trouble imo. But if there is someone in your area that knows what they are doing in the air suspension department and you can do the regular maintenance then go for it.

But I'll never go back to it.

phreaktor 07-29-2009 02:44 PM

Hydraulics. That would be a unique ride.

:icon17:

rodneeking85 07-29-2009 07:29 PM

Thanks for the input nismo. I know a few people with knowledge in this department, I have a feeling this is one of those you get what you pay for kind of things too. I'm more so looking to do it party because the roads in Houston are pretty crappy and it would give me room to adjust as I go rather than be on coils and have to endure everything until I get home to adjust. I would go for coils but sometimes I get lazy and don't want to deal with adjusting them. I guess Air is an option for my laziness but I'm just kind of weighing my options on if the hassle if any with air outweighs the the hassle of coils.

chsia 07-31-2009 05:18 PM

D2

1 Attachment(s)
I have an air ride system from D2 Racing for about 4 months now. The system runs great. The roads here in Taiwan are uneven and most of the parking lots are underground with steep slope. With the air ride system, I can go anywhere now. The height shown in the pic is not the lowest. It can go down another 5 cm.

rodneeking85 07-31-2009 05:54 PM

chsia, looks nice man... thanks for the input. Is it on bags with stock struts or coilovers? or is it on air over shocks? The kit i'm looking at right now is with air over shocks. Is it a paint to maintain?

chsia 08-01-2009 12:48 AM

D2

It is air over shocks. More details at http://www.d2racing.com.tw/air_suspension.htm.

rodneeking85 08-01-2009 12:55 PM

how's the ride on air over shocks? Any maintenance issues or anything? I'm assuming it's pretty reliable too eh?

chsia 08-01-2009 04:01 PM

Ride

The ride is comfortable. I used to have Tein and its ride was much tougher. No maintenance issues so far. Do get lots of attention.

moog 08-01-2009 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was on a universal air suspension kit. I had leak problems initially after my install, but we found them and took care of them all. Car would hold air for weeks w/o any drop in bag pressure. Ride was good, but it started to degrade when my OEM shocks I was using wore out. The bags themselves though rode fine.

Attachment 424378

moog 08-01-2009 07:58 PM

dang it rod...just saw it was you that posted this...lol

kensin0429 08-02-2009 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by chsia (Post 7608089)
I have an air ride system from D2 Racing for about 4 months now. The system runs great. The roads here in Taiwan are uneven and most of the parking lots are underground with steep slope. With the air ride system, I can go anywhere now. The height shown in the pic is not the lowest. It can go down another 5 cm.

taiwanese ? lol i should go meet you when i get back

i have a orange Z there in taipei , now im in the US for a career purpose

i should be back for a vacation next year feb

台灣第一!:o 反攻大陸

chsia 08-02-2009 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=moog;7610440]I was on a universal air suspension kit. I had leak problems initially after my install, but we found them and took care of them all. Car would hold air for weeks w/o any drop in bag pressure. Ride was good, but it started to degrade when my OEM shocks I was using wore out. The bags themselves though rode fine.

D2 Racing air suspension unit does not go with OEM shocks, it has its own shocks which are better than OEM shocks.

moog 08-02-2009 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by chsia (Post 7612578)

Originally Posted by moog (Post 7610440)
I was on a universal air suspension kit. I had leak problems initially after my install, but we found them and took care of them all. Car would hold air for weeks w/o any drop in bag pressure. Ride was good, but it started to degrade when my OEM shocks I was using wore out. The bags themselves though rode fine.

D2 Racing air suspension unit does not go with OEM shocks, it has its own shocks which are better than OEM shocks.

That's cool. D2 also retails for $3700. UAS is way less.

rodneeking85 08-03-2009 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by moog (Post 7610442)
dang it rod...just saw it was you that posted this...lol

lol... what, name gave it away eh?? Just doing more research before I commit :thumbup:

Originally Posted by moog (Post 7612589)
That's cool. D2 also retails for $3700. UAS is way less.

Yeah D2 is an arm and a leg... it deterred me from it.

blAk mAx 06-19-2011 06:18 PM

ACCUAIR anyone?

freshlikesushi 06-19-2011 09:01 PM

UAs plus coil overs is the end all best setup

VO... 06-20-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by rodneeking85 (Post 7601461)
I'm more so looking to do it party because the roads in Houston are pretty crappy

+1.

I wish I cold afford it. I have to use custom ramps I built to get my Z out of my own driveway. PITB...:mad:

AdvanZ33 06-20-2011 10:20 AM

I've been looking into the KSport set up because I have to deal with speed bumps for at least another 2 years. I only know of one person on here who had the Basic kit and he said it was problem free but spending the extra money for the Pro kit was a wise choice.

chulo at metro 06-20-2011 10:26 AM

thanks for the info guys :thumbup: