MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-399/)
-   -   Can't align to specs. (https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/452499-cant-align-to-specs.html)

gyotar 08-24-2009 11:32 AM

Can't align to specs.

I took my '03 Z Touring into the shop to have it aligned to save the front right tire which is getting heavy feathering. They couldn't get it into specs.

They are trying to tell me that I need new springs to get it into specs. I realize that the new springs will help align the car in the short term by increasing ride height a little, but won't I be in the same position once the springs settle?

I have 20" rims so I am not lowered and using all stock parts.

What is an affordable front and rear alignment kit for a daily driver to put everything into specs?

I'm sure this is talked to death but thanks for your input!

terrasmak 08-24-2009 12:14 PM

Go to a different shop, and please post your alignment specs so we can look at them.

Motormouth 08-24-2009 12:16 PM

get rid of the 20s.

solved.

but that serious advice aside (you should of course do that), it sounds like your car has accident damage.

gyotar 08-24-2009 12:30 PM

No accidents, however it would be a hell of an accident for all 4 wheels to be out of alignment. I'll try and get the sheet up after work.

gyotar 08-24-2009 12:38 PM

Readout says I have 18" wheel. not sure if that makes a difference.

Left Front

-1.5 Camber
8.3 Caster
0.05 Toe

Right Front

-1.4 Camber
8.2 Caster
0.05 Toe

Front

0.0 Cross Camber
0.1 Cross Caster
0.1 Cross Toe

Left Rear

1.6 Camber
0.1 Toe

Right Rear

-2.5 Camber
0.13 Toe

Rear

0.23 Total Toe
-0.02 thrust Angle

Motormouth 08-24-2009 12:52 PM

I could've sworn you said the issue was the left front or something.

JasonZ-YA 08-24-2009 12:54 PM

20 inch wheels alone will throw your car out of spec, and the stock alignment bolts wont bring it into specific range...

I would defiantly try another shop, because them telling you that you need to buy springs is bull, they are trying to make a sale.....

The front, the only thing they can do is adjust the tie rods........if not you need to buy front upper control arms....many people that purchase 20's learn this "after-the-fact" and never buy whats needed to get the car back into spec..........car ends up looking like crap (due to crazy camber) and tires wear super fast and then they cry about it later....I have seen it......buddy of mine wouldn't listen..

Front:
If a good alignment shop cant get it in spec with tie rods, which im more than certain you cant! you need front upper control arms to adjust alignment....

Springs do nothing! 350z don't have camber plates, etc..its not a 240sx. its an SLA suspension design.

350z upper control arm: http://www.enjukuracing.com/megan-ra...223ed532e05f4e

REAR:
Buy the rear toe bolt and rear camber arm.

Toe bolt install: http://www.batit.com/forumpics/spctoeboltinstall.pdf

Buy both here or similar place:
http://www.iapdirect.com/product.php?productid=40163

due to this statement, I provided links to the most basic parts for a daily driven car, if it were a track car, etc, i would link you nicer/more adjustable stuff......

Originally Posted by gyotar (Post 7680506)
What is an affordable front and rear alignment kit for a daily driver to put everything into specs?

-J

terrasmak 08-24-2009 12:55 PM

You need a camber kit for the rear, -1.5 front is fine, out of specs but with your toe in spec you will not have problems.

Jason , with the camber he has, his car has to be lowered. The wheels won't cause that, i bet the previous owner installed drop springs.

JasonZ-YA 08-24-2009 12:58 PM

^ yes i agree with smack ---- now that i see he posted his alignment specs....if the -1.5 is correct? -- i dont like the statement of him saying the sheet says 18 inch wheels......if the alignment was done wrong, then those numbers he posted are useless..

-J

Motormouth 08-24-2009 01:02 PM

the only issue with front alignment should be camber - which isn't really an issue. anything else being out of whack (your toe if you are getting feathering I believe) says something is wrong... worn tie rods maybe?

your front specs look fine though. just your one rear rim is way out, which again... hit a curb, I don't know. Sounds like they ****ed it up possibly.

toe bolts are cheap as hell though, and easy to install, if necessary.

gyotar 08-24-2009 01:06 PM

The 20's came with the car when I purchased it so I didn't really go out of my way to get them. I seem to be getting heavy flak for them. Oh well.

When I get new tires next season I'll be sure to take the car to a forum recommended alignment shop in Toronto. I'll probably throw in the suspension parts over the winter. Thanks for the links and info.

davidv 08-24-2009 01:27 PM

20 inch wheels is a baller set up. This alignment stuff is overrated. Rolling in style.

gyotar 09-24-2009 07:13 AM

I'm having the SPC Front/Rear kits installed in a week or two so I was wondering what the latest and greatest alignment specs were for all 4 wheels to maximize tire life. I've been searching but can't find a straight answer.

What I was thinking was to run as little camber and as much toe in as the latest tsb allows for...however I don't know the latest TSB alignment specs.

Z1 Performance 09-24-2009 08:45 AM

consult the factory service manual and set it to the least aggressive specs in the specified range

Motormouth 09-24-2009 09:15 AM

why did you buy a Z if you are willing to make it understeer like a beotch by removing all yo camberz?

come on dawg, be ballin player fo real son. ya herd?

gyotar 09-24-2009 09:22 AM

lol whatever wanksta

Motormouth 09-24-2009 09:23 AM

I comes correct balla, don't be hatin' cuz yo wack and sheit

stinky350z 10-05-2009 07:18 PM

^ u guys r funny lol

gyotar 10-06-2009 02:40 AM

SPC kit installed. Front/Rear. Everything went fine with the install. The shop didn't set the gap for the ABS sensor but I shimmed it correctly at my own shop and all the lights went out. In spec all around.

Thanks for you help guys.

specialized5223 03-20-2019 06:33 AM

I just got an alignment and they brought everything to factory spec except camber in two corners, told me things could be bent; vague to say the least... They advised replacing shocks, toe bolts and camber plates. Just makes me curious.

Camber was out in those two opposing corners by .7 deg.