Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

why r alot of z owners seem obsessed with project mu brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
StopTechErik
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, monoblock does not always equal more rigidity. In many cases monoblocks are not as stiff as 2 peice calipers, but they are almost universally lighter than 2 peice calipers. JETPILOT's argument is still valid however; would half a pound per caliper equate to a faster lap that is worth siginificantly higher initial costs? Thats ultimately up to the driver/team, but value is usually a pretty big factor in most purchasing decisions.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Erik,

I definetly agree with you there as well. The alloy used is very important and the tadeoff between lightnes and rigidity/structureis a fine line and are very important.

Endless happens to make a brake many race tems have alot of faith in. I hand it to them for making a no compromise product. But it's not in my budget and not for my needs.

Lou Gigliotti is a racer and builder who is very well respected and uses Stoptech on his race cars and customer cars unlesss something else is specified by the customer.

Stoptechs combinations of product support, pad compounds, cost, and endorsment in motorsports was enough for me to make Stoptech my choice. But everyone has to define their needs and make their own choices. Pad compound was really my most important factor in my choice. The other things were just icing on the cake.

Until Alliance proves themselves they are what they are. And I in no way know if they are quality or not, but they seem to be following the same road other disreputable manufacturers are heading and adding pistons to satisfy an uneducatred buyer.

The Stoptech ST-60 is a great caliper but if you ask stoptech why they made a 6 piston application for the Z it's because it allows for a larger pad for less frequent pad changes and not for an increase in performance.