Suspension 101

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:46 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Thanks, I have oem style so I have springs in my buckets, but im thinking of removing my adjustability and in the process lower the back another 1/2 inch, thus making the rear basically a lowering spring.

As much as I would like true coils in the rear the fact that all the pressures go into those little studs that hold the rear shocks kinda makes me nervous about them.

My rear is about an inch lower than stock now but after my recent diet and fender rolling my fenders are back up a bit.

I have subframe bushings and differential bushings waiting for my motivation to go up... After those go in I'll be trying to figure out the alignment...

The was all good and in spec with the oem wheels, and once I added the new suspension and then the new tires and wheels it handled noticeably way better so I was a little hesitant to change anything.. But I can't leave well enough alone...

I also picked up a set of oem sway bars to replace my rusty ones lol I was going to order adjustable ones but I didn't... O well
If you think about the dynamics of those little studs that hold the rear strut in place. It is just that, holt it in place, they support no load. The load is actually on the surrounding area.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:50 AM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where on the chasis do you guys measure the rake to set that 13mm difference mentioned elsewhere on this forum as optimal for a track?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 AM
superlim9

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts

in for a good suggestion for the right place to measure... when i did mine, i set the ride height by crosshairs on wheel center and edge of fender lip and then set the rear 10mm higher... i know is not exact but couldn't find a spot i was confident was the same front to rear

Last edited by superlim9; 09-15-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:29 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Ok question for you master fabricators out here, how thick is the aluminum you use for making your lockout washers and do you just use a grade 8 bolt to hold things back together? Was going to make some. Got the bolt, didnt get the aluminum yet, was going to use 1/8 inch thick aluminum though.... Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:50 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Ok question for you master fabricators out here, how thick is the aluminum you use for making your lockout washers and do you just use a grade 8 bolt to hold things back together? Was going to make some. Got the bolt, didnt get the aluminum yet, was going to use 1/8 inch thick aluminum though.... Thoughts?
get these and don't worry about it.... jasonzya on here. legit guy

http://350zhatchshocksandmore.com/Lockout%20Washers.htm
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:10 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I used 3/32 on mine
The following users liked this post:
dboyzalter (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I used 3/32 on mine
Thanks, did you seek out 10.9 metric bolts or just go with the American grade 8 equivalents?

I originally planned to just use grade 8 washers and square the sides to fit, but now im thinking I will use aluminum and make square washers that fit between the grooves.

I put the whiteline subframe and differential bushings in as you advised... Ive done easier things but now that its almost complete it wasn't that bad. (Actually went smoother than I expected)

Hope to get the differential back in tomorrow and hopefully get the car driving again.

be putting in some adjustable camber arms next week some time, I maxed out the teins in the back so I removed the lock on the adjuster to go down another 1/4 inch, the other adjuster is bottomed out on the sleeve so its got nowhere to go anyways.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thanks, did you seek out 10.9 metric bolts or just go with the American grade 8 equivalents?

I originally planned to just use grade 8 washers and square the sides to fit, but now im thinking I will use aluminum and make square washers that fit between the grooves.

I put the whiteline subframe and differential bushings in as you advised... Ive done easier things but now that its almost complete it wasn't that bad. (Actually went smoother than I expected)

Hope to get the differential back in tomorrow and hopefully get the car driving again.

be putting in some adjustable camber arms next week some time, I maxed out the teins in the back so I removed the lock on the adjuster to go down another 1/4 inch, the other adjuster is bottomed out on the sleeve so its got nowhere to go anyways.
My local hardware store has a great metric selection, was simple to get for me
Old 10-02-2016, 08:36 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Does anyone know when they go to get their alignment done does the bolt usually end up maxed out to one end of the other on the eccentric bolt opening? For example does the bolt end up here.

Or does it end up in the opposite end?
Old 10-02-2016, 02:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Does anyone know when they go to get their alignment done does the bolt usually end up maxed out to one end of the other on the eccentric bolt opening? For example does the bolt end up here.

Or does it end up in the opposite end?
Depends on how low you are
Old 10-07-2016, 04:57 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

So theirs no general rule of thumb stock height goes left dropped would be on right... I dont know why I have it in my head that if I made lockout washers for my coil buckets and maxed them out to the appropriate side it would work out ok...

My grade 8 bolt idea was a bust... They dont fit, they are a charley hotel too big... Luckily I found some 10.9s at Rockys...

For anyone needing to know the size.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 PM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Whiteline Endlinks

This is whiteline endlinks at the lowest lenth compared to the OEM one showing that both are almost identical, Is this normal or did i receive the wrong part ?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:39 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I've noted this over the years, people keep disagreeing with me and say you can shorten them to get a better angle when you lower the car.

The adjustment is only there to remove preload to properly corner weigh the car. SPL is also the same length, I had whiteline and currently have SPL. Power grid is also the same length
The following 2 users liked this post by terrasmak:
amr_electron (10-11-2016), rustyschopshop (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:45 AM
amr_electron

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I've noted this over the years, people keep disagreeing with me and say you can shorten them to get a better angle when you lower the car.

The adjustment is only there to remove preload to properly corner weigh the car. SPL is also the same length, I had whiteline and currently have SPL. Power grid is also the same length

Me included, I bought them thinking that they can be shortened and sit at better angle on lowered cars.

Having the OEM endlinks in hand, They are not as bad as most people think. Can't beat them for the price also.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amr_electron
Me included, I bought them thinking that they can be shortened and sit at better angle on lowered cars.

Having the OEM endlinks in hand, They are not as bad as most people think. Can't beat them for the price also.
I agree completely. Sometimes parts get a bad name after a lot of abuse, its gonna have some wear and tear but the oem design is not that bad. I'm happy with the oem endlinks compared to what I've had in the past in other oem scenarios.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In about 2 weeks I'm going to tackle my Lower Ball Joints since they are busted. Looking over the whole car with a visible inspection, and a listening inspection. I can't find any other "bad bushings" since the car has 200k on the odometer with a used low mileage engine I can only assume lack of bad bushings someone has put some work into the car. Even in the rear it looks like the differential bushing is new.

I've tried the crowbar jammed on various links and prying and pushing for sounds/movement etc along with slow driving on horrible roads/parking lots with windows down listening.

So with that said besides the lower control arm ball joints job I'm going to do. The ones on the transverse link. I will lower my G with a .5 350z drop or a 1.5 inch drop in the G sedan world. I'm first going to grab rear control arms and camber bolts the ones with the lockout washers a guy makes on the forum (can't remember screen name but might be the OP) Not getting UCA's right now but else should I get since the car will need aligned. I'm already gonna be in a good amount with springs, rca's, regular ball joints unless I get roll center adjusters and camber bolts. Which the stuff is adding up. I assume a G 1.5 inch or a Z .5 inch drop the front camber can get into spec on factory UCA's

From a performance standpoint related to handling and not Upper Control Arms is there anything else I should get that requires alignment after installation. Like outer tie rods, or even inners. I probably will grab poly bushings for the transverse link since I'm doing ball joints. So basically I don't want to waste money right now that I don't need too but if I can get it to perform better I might as well.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Coconut972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True rear coils with oem spring buckets

Hey I'm planning on buying a set of BC coilovers with the true rears and was wondering if I could run the factory spring buckets instead of buying aftermarket toe arms. I wouldn't be running a huge setup in the rear, just 18x10.5 +22 rim and 265/40 tire.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Coconut972
Hey I'm planning on buying a set of BC coilovers with the true rears and was wondering if I could run the factory spring buckets instead of buying aftermarket toe arms. I wouldn't be running a huge setup in the rear, just 18x10.5 +22 rim and 265/40 tire.
you can, but just buy toe arms from jasonzya

http://www.350zhatchshocksandmore.com/TOE%20ARMS.htm
Old 06-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Coconut972

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
you can, but just buy toe arms from jasonzya

http://www.350zhatchshocksandmore.com/TOE%20ARMS.htm
So I am able to stick with the spring buckets and not buy toe arms?
Old 06-26-2018, 06:40 AM
travlee
Master

you can, but it looks ugly

Quick Reply: Suspension 101